The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Question

MY OPINION:

A non-ped is the term used on the likes of K9 to describe the original racing whippet.

Whippets came about from a mix of terriers, greyhounds and probably other sighthounds knocking around at the time.

Gambling was big business, greyhounds were coursing (racing didn't exist for them as the oval track hadn't been invented) there was ratting in pits, cock fighting and the sport of dog racing. Before the oval track came about, the best way to observe dogs racing was along a straight track where one could stand alongside and watch the race. Dogs were bred for the purpose of running this track and winning.

Breeding for purpose results in dogs sharing a similar appearance. As these dogs are predominantly sprinters the end result is a dog of sighthound appearance (i.e streamlined, enlarged heart and lungs, long backed, long legged etc) but with a large muscle mass like is seen with sprint athletes.

However as the racing whippet does not fall under a closed stud book or a breed standard, there is a wide range of diversity by the means of eye shape, ears, tail carriage, coat etc etc.

Racing whippets since their existance have raced in scratch or weight handicaps and GENERALLY as they become smaller, their speed is reduced. (which is why there is a weight handicap)

Outcrosses to greyhounds were done to enhance speed and/or size in those dogs that were closely inbred and it works well like any diverse outcross does.

Because the breed continues to outcross with the greyhound (the most genetically diverse 'pedigree' dog) it prevents genetic defects and faults occuring.

The gene pool these days is small (certainly compared to the KC registered whippet) as no gambling occurs, bookies have gone to the greyhounds and breeders don't charge extortionate sums for their pups. It is not a lucrative sport which I personally see as a good thing.

With bends racing becoming popular, there can be a certain amount of gain from increasing the amount of greyhound blood to the whippet to cope with the longer distance. However when it became apparent that these dogs could have an unfair advantage and more importantly to preserve the whippet breedlines within the dogs, new rulings were introduced to curb such breeding patterns with breeders and owners agreeing to the possibility of a DNA test should a dispute occur. Introducing a rule was difficult as no-one wanted to exclude any dogs that could be seen as a genuine racing whippet. Various formats were put forward, one was seen as the most workable solution and whippet racers voted it. Whilst it is not perfect and has flaws it certainly goes some way in preserving the whippet bloodlines from being saturated by greyhound blood. The rule itself is not set in stone and could be removed, altered or replaced by another rule if whippet racers chose.

The BWRA database spans decades of whippet breeding. Pedigree whippet owners will find some of their dogs heritage there.

It, just like the Kennel Club pedigree databases is not infalliable, however with little financial revenue and no breeding clauses within the sport there is little motivation to fraudulantly lie about a dog's breeding.

Today, both the KC and the 'non-ped' whippet racing organisations are taking advantage of DNA technology where any genuine allegations occur of ccorruption.

Non-ped racing whippets are registered on the database through application (and acceptance) with the BWRA.

U.K. Pedigree whippets are indeed slower and will not recoup this through breeding under the KC as this genetic material has been lost. It may be redeemed through using imports as some non-ped racing blood exists in registered whippets outside of the U.K.

With regards to lurcher racing, personaly I feel the reason non-peds are entering into the sport is because the format is similar to whippet racing. When you run such similar formats whether it be from the instant entry of non-ped blood or through selective breeding for purpose, eventually over time the dogs will evolve to meet the purpose they're being used for. The only thing that hinders this currently is running surface (where a hardier or slower dog may be less likely to pick up an injury and thereby have a longer running career)

All the above is my humble opinion. I am not a representative of any of the whippet racing organisations or my fellow whippet racers and as such no-one should deem that my opinion is either gospel or right.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a frequently asked question so decided to copy and paste. :thumbsup:

Its all about conforming to a standard. Peds conform to as close as but non-peds do not ;)
Racing peds do not try to conform. Fast is mated with fast, no matter how big the ears are or how curly the tail :thumbsup:
Surely not. Take bulldog. Mate with bulldog you get a bulldog. Take a bulldog and mate with other breed!!.

Wot do you get......Cross breed. The answer is in the word Breed. Which dont CONFORM TO EITHER. SO

TWO BULLDOGS PRODUCE CONFORMATY AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE. Ped , none ped or mongrel. Simples : :wacko:

Its all about conforming to a standard. Peds conform to as close as but non-peds do not ;)
Racing peds do not try to conform. Fast is mated with fast, no matter how big the ears are or how curly the tail :thumbsup:
Surely not. Take bulldog. Mate with bulldog you get a bulldog. Take a bulldog and mate with other breed!!.

Wot do you get......Cross breed. The answer is in the word Breed. Which dont CONFORM TO EITHER. SO

TWO BULLDOGS PRODUCE CONFORMATY AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE. Ped , none ped or mongrel. Simples : :wacko:
What are you on love? Who mentioned Bulldogs :wacko:

I just said racing whippets are not bred to conform with the breed standard - which they are not :thumbsup:

So what do you get if you mate a 1/2 cross bulldog with a 1/2 cross bulldog?

what do you get if you mate a 3/4 with a 1/4 and so on?

It isn't ''simples'' as anyone with any basic knowledge of dog breeding or genetics would know.

and it doesn't explain why some non-peds studs are accepted as whippets with Kennel Club Organisations outside the UK, they do know a liitle bit more about genetics though.

Whippets were a type of dog, they where never a distinct breed with a specific breed standard. There is plenty of evidence out there prooving this as fact.

The KC came up with a breed standard, one which does not in anyway promote the physical attributes of a sprint animal. Whilst those first dogs like Wishy Was, Blue Peter etc were indeed whippets, the fact is their progeny in the pedigree world are now an entirely different breed. Furthermore, if these pureblood dogs retained their original phenotype then there would never have been changes ever made in the KC's breed standard but if I recall rightly it has been changed thrice? :blink:

"If a really good ped whippet done a 9.20 secs over 150 yards which is flyin, a really good non ped could do a 8.20 over the same distance, a second of a difference, which I have witnessed with a non ped bitch from Scotland called Sween, one very fast bitch "
I think you'll find there are one or two "pedigrees" can do that too :-

Indeed :- In fact there are some who can't even tell the difference between ped and non ped 8)
Indeed there is June, shame on them.! ;)

OK i understand the ped + non-ped but i'm still confused about getting into this racing game :wacko:

For someone totally new to this all i want to know is ......

Can i run my dog who is a GreyXwhippet?

Does she have to be registered with any clubs?

Does she need any registration docs (obv not ped papers)?

Any tips on how to get into this would be gratefully recieved as this is my first running dog, she's only 3 months at the moment and i am just looking to have some fun with her when she's older :thumbsup:

I'm in Birmingham ;)

Are you the guy I spoke to yesterday on HLF?

If so the forum you need is the non ped forum and deeva who's replied on here is the person you need to message as she's one of the organisers for old hall track at church gresley (about 40mins away) I hadn't forgotten, I tried to message deeva last night but flood on here stopped me. :thumbsup:

Yes it is me off HLF (but i'm a girl lol)

Will try and conatct Deeva but i'm new to this forum stuff.

Thanks WW

Yes it is me off HLF (but i'm a girl lol)Will try and conatct Deeva but i'm new to this forum stuff.

Thanks WW
:oops: If it's any consolation, I'm murder for getting names wrong (been known to call people by their dogs pet names before now) (w00t)

Hope you do get chance to visit Old Hall, they'll give you a warm welcome, great club who are hosting quite a few of our big events this year.

If you go, I'lll be the one on my knees at the finish line with a camera so say hello!

Jac

Don't worry WW i am also someone who forgets names and remembers people by their dogs :b

I will see you in Feb. Got a pm off Deeva and details of track. :D

Back