The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Query Re: Tripe

jodster74

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help...

We moved Daniel onto tripe earlier this year and I am not sure if it is my imagination but he does seem to have bulked up!!!! And he also seems even more lethargic than usual and a bit reluctant to run properly...

We have been getting the tripe from landy wood - can anyone say what sort of measures I should be using (I am mixing it with Laughing Dog Puppy / Terrier mix and giving them keepers mix, wheatgerm oil etc etc)

Grace seems fine (although bit loose in the stools occasionally...)

Dont know if I am overreacting but thought I would ask you guys for help...

Thanks in advance

Jodster (and Daniel and Miss Grace)

Resized_CROP_IMG_0056.jpg

Resized_CROP_CROP_IMG_0043.jpg

Resized_CROP_IMG_0066.jpg

How old is Daniel and how much tripe and mixer are you giving him?

The keepers mix etc won't be doing him any harm.

Dippy is 8 months old and gets 3 chicken wings for breakfast, half a bag of whatever meat I grab from the freezer (from Landywoods) with fruit/veg mix for tea and 2 chicken wings or a tin of sardines in tom sauce for supper.

And she's doing great on it.

hellybobs said:
How old is Daniel and how much tripe and mixer are you giving him?
The keepers mix etc won't be doing him any harm.

Dippy is 8 months old and gets 3 chicken wings for breakfast, half a bag of whatever meat I grab from the freezer (from Landywoods) with fruit/veg mix for tea and 2 chicken wings or a tin of sardines in tom sauce for supper.

And she's doing great on it.

Hi - thanks for the response.. Daniel is 4 and a half and Grace is 11 months..

I am giving him a 1/3 bag of landywood tripe for breakfast - with the equivilant laughing dog mix, a chicken wing for lunch and then 1/3 tripe with LD for evening meal.... he just seems to have lost a bit of his definition (I have weighed him and he is about a kilo heavier)..

Is there anything I should be adding to perk him up a bit...? :wacko:

You could be feeding a bit too much, you could try cutting down the mixer a bit.

Do they have any other meat apart from the tripe and do you give them any fruit or veg?

How much exersize do they get because if they are taking in too many calories and not burning it off they could ppdge up a bit.

hellybobs said:
You could be feeding a bit too much, you could try cutting down the mixer a bit.
Do they have any other meat apart from the tripe and do you give them any fruit or veg?

How much exersize do they get because if they are taking in too many calories and not burning it off they could ppdge up a bit.

We give them the tripe + chicken wings + (very occasionally) a pigs trotter.. I havent been giving them veg but they do get supplements (keepers mix & Kelp on alternate days / wheatgerm oil & easygreen every day...) should I be mixing some fish and / or veg in as well then? we wondered whether to try him on the chicken and rice instead of the tripe....is this recommended? :(

They get a lot of exercise during the day as they go to work with my husband so they get at least 2 hours throughout the day.. and then more on weekends..

I have noticed the change since we got grace (the food change to tripe was around the same time so I am trying to see if it's a food thing or a sibling thing...)

It could be just that he's getting too many calories.

I offer the girls about 5 different meats (from Landywood) plus chicken wings and sardines in tom sauce...not all at once (w00t)

I don't give them any mixer or cereal products but do give them a fruit/veg mix daily (about 4 tablesppons each) its whatever I have in all put in the blender and frozen in ice cube trays. They do get the oils but I don't give them any other supplements.

They get about 2-3 hours off lead exersize every day.

You could offer a different meat or just switch the mixer for fruit and veg and see if it helps

Everyone feeds the raw diet differently to suit the dogs and its hit and miss until you get it right.

I would say you're definitely overfeeding :oops:

Do you weigh the tripe? Its always a good idea to do this as it's surprising how much a small amount of tripe can weigh!

Every dog has a different metabolism,so need to be fed accordingly.Is Daniel castrated?this can make a dog put on weight a lot quicker.

I would cut back on the mixer,one small handful a day is adequate.

Just to give you an idea on how each dog varies on the amount of food needed,

Poppy(2 1/2 years old) only has 2 oz of tripe & a chicken wing for breakfast & 4 oz tripe & a bit of mixer for tea, whereas Izzy,whos speyed & is 9 years old has 5 oz & a wing for breakfast & 6 oz for tea!

The pups who are 8 months old have 7 oz am & 8 oz pm plus 2 wings a day

Murph & Flyn have the same amount daily,yet Murph is a lot bigger & heavier than flyn.

For me the golden rule is if they're putting on weight,cut their food back!!!

hope this helps :thumbsup:

hellybobs said:
It could be just that he's getting too many calories.
I offer the girls about 5 different meats (from Landywood) plus chicken wings and sardines in tom sauce...not all at once  (w00t)

I don't give them any mixer or cereal products but do give them a fruit/veg mix daily (about 4 tablesppons each) its whatever I have in all put in the blender and frozen in ice cube trays.  They do get the oils but I don't give them any other supplements.

They get about 2-3 hours off lead exersize every day.

You could offer a different meat or just switch the mixer for fruit and veg and see if it helps

Everyone feeds the raw diet differently to suit the dogs and its hit and miss until you get it right.

Thanks for your help... we do the different tripe mixes but it looks like we might be giving him a bit too much and with too much mixer... I will try cutting back and adding some veg and see what happens....

alfyn said:
Do you weigh the tripe? Its always a good idea to do this as it's surprising how much a small amount of tripe can weigh!

Every dog has a different metabolism,so need to be fed accordingly.Is Daniel castrated?this can make a dog put on weight a lot quicker.

Poppy(2 1/2 years old) only has 2 oz of tripe & a chicken wing for breakfast & 4 oz tripe & a bit of mixer for tea, whereas Izzy,whos speyed & is 9 years old has 5 oz & a wing for breakfast & 6 oz for tea!

Murph & Flyn have the same amount daily,yet Murph is a lot bigger & heavier than flyn.

Thanks - I knew you would be able to help!

Yes he is castrated! His weight was never an issue before .. like I say he doesnt look that much different (pic below was taken last week) but I just knew he wasnt right...

Whats your suggestion as to how best to get the balance right... should I try a new measurement for a few days and see how he responds? or a week?

And any suggestions re: Grace and her loose movements? should I try veg with her too? or fish? I am guessing the new diet might be a bit rich.. how would I make it more bland?

Thanks in advance

Jodster

Resized_CROP_IMG_0098.jpg

Tripe is the best thing for bulking your dog up and adding body,so it sounds as if he is getting too much and the surplus is going onto his hips!! lol

As Debs says it would surprise you how little amount of tripe it takes to just keep condition. And I agree with her about their different metabolic rates,they are just like us!! I only have to look at a cream bun to put weight on whereas OH can scoff the entire box and is still like a racehorse! He reckons he is built for speed, me....well I am more for comfort :teehee:

I personally would'nt have imagined that the laughing dog was doing much harm,I suspect it is mainly the tripe,try cutting it back first and see how you get on first and then if you are still having no joy then cut it back too. :)

jodster74 said:
alfyn said:

Yes he is castrated! His weight was never an issue before .. like I say he doesnt look that much different (pic below was taken last week) but I just knew he wasnt right...

Whats your suggestion as to how best to get the balance right... should I try a new measurement for a few days and see how he responds? or a week?

And any suggestions re: Grace and her loose movements? should I try veg with her too? or fish? I am guessing the new diet might be a bit rich.. how would I make it more bland?

Thanks in advance

Jodster

Try giving her a bit more fibre and less tripe,it could be that which is causing the upset. :thumbsup: Also plain boiled rice is good for adding bulk and cause n upset at all,in fact quite the opposite so you could maybe try mixing that in place of the tripe that you remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
05whippet said:
Just a question tell me do you feed the chicken wings raw or do you boil them.

jodster74 said:
alfyn said:

Thanks in advance

Jodster

Try giving her a bit more fibre and less tripe,it could be that which is causing the upset. :thumbsup: Also plain boiled rice is good for adding bulk and cause n upset at all,in fact quite the opposite so you could maybe try mixing that in place of the tripe that you remove.

Don't know what to add here really all very sound advice! I think your diet sounds absolutely fine, although a bit of veg occasionally would be good.

Mine have about a fist size amount of tripe & beef mix in the morning, same in the evening and chicken wing for a supper. They get a bit or rice or laughing dog a few times a week and veg. I use Garlic & fenugreek tablets, keepers mix and/or easy-green and wheatgerm or evening primrose oil. Also sardines in tomato sauce and other leftover veg etc when its about

I would say at 4 years old and with the younger dog, he perhaps has just matured a bit. But i would say slimming him down a bit is the best idea.

I could never get any weight on Stan and he was on about double the above amount of food, now I have to continually watch his diet - all are very different.

I agree with the rice for Grace and perhaps try Tree Barks powder as well and this is very soothing for the belly.

jodster74 said:
lynxexpress said:
05whippet said:

We are giving them Raw.. should I be boiling them?

only feed chicken wings raw,as once the bones are cooked they become very brittle and can splinter

Last edited by a moderator:
jodster74 said:
lynxexpress said:
05whippet said:

We are giving them Raw.. should I be boiling them?

Most dogs are fine with them raw,but if I was to give them raw to a couple of mine,they would go right thru them! :x I also have two of my younger ones who can't tolerate ANY form of raw meat at all,in fact I just keep them on dried as any change of diet no matter how small,runs their tummies.

Back