The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Pups First Time Out Ferreting

lurcher girl

Registered
Reaction score
Took my 10 month old bedlington x whippet pup Finn out for his first time ferreting yesterday. He's already shown lots of interest in rabbits before and had caught a few, but this was his first time working with ferrets and nets. We used our two young ferrets (also their first time out) who he is trustworthy with having been raised together. Didn't really know how he'd react to rabbits bolting into nets followed by a ferret, thought he may try and play with his ferrety friends!

Anyhow, he was an absolute star, as were the two ferrets! He quickly caught on to the game and stood back to watch proceedings, running in to pin down caught rabbits when they hit the net, he also coursed and caught a few that broke through. Were only out for a few hours and caught 17!!! Can't wait to get out again!

Have attached pic from end of the day (apologise if it doesn't work)

x

finn_rabbits.jpg

Well done - that's a promising start to his career. What size is he? Do you find this cross generally easy to train? I'm thinking of getting something similar later in the year.

yhats a great start .you must be really pleased with him .well done flynn :cheers: :cheers:

Well done - that's a promising start to his career. What size is he? Do you find this cross generally easy to train? I'm thinking of getting something similar later in the year.
He is very tiny, only 19'' at the shoulder! But this isn't a problem if its only rabbits you're after. So far he has been an absolute dream to train. He is our first lurcher so didn't really know how to train him to course etc, but he's done it all naturally. He also retreives game to hand, he's used instead of a spaniel by my boyfriend on our local rough shoot! I would definitley recommend this cross but then i am a bit biased!!! x

well done the lovely finn he's looking really good, hope you've got plenty of freezer space

Wow what a star - you must be very proud of him! :wub:

Well Done :thumbsup: i love bedlington x whippets........Finn looks great 8)

Back