The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Puppy First night at home tips

Baxter's Mum

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you have any tips on first night at home with puppy?

This is something I'm quite concerned about....

Do we have him in our bedroom or leave him downstairs where we are planning to keep him?

Do we ignore crying or not?

I have no idea x

How old is the puppy? Are you crate training? Are you feeding kibble? And where are you wanting the pup to sleep long term?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll be able to give better advise with a little more info :)

Last edited by a moderator:
He will be 8 weeks old.

Yes to crate training and yes to kibble.

We initially want him to sleep in the kitchen and then he will sleep in our living room when he's a bit older.

oooh, this is one of those difficult questions!

I hope someone can give you a definitive answer, but i am going to be all wishy washy. I think i might be tempted to let them sleep near me, or me sleep near them for the first night or two, but then i'm a bit soppy. I would, and i'm sure you are, think about them being away from their littermates for the first time, and all that. Then there would be the thought that if you did leave them and they cried for HOURS, would you give in and go to them, thereby 'training' them to cry for attention. Dilemas dilemas!

I was reading some info the other day on that 'misty' method thing, and about the breeder getting a sleep routine in place, maybe she will be able to give you some advice? Each puppy is different in terms of its confidence, neediness, and sleepiness, i know there are some people who say their puppy slept through on the first night, on its own, no problem, and others that have either listened or given in to the howls. And some people have the crate upstairs with them. Haha! Some people keep it there for ever!

Maybe it might be best to play it by ear, and see how he is around bed time. If you get something with the smell of his mum, and a nice warm water bottle, this may be enough to keep him happy and sleepy, especially as he will be in a set up he understands with the toilet area and things. Is there a possibility of camping down there with him for a night?

Crikey, i bet i've made things worse with my indecisiveness! Someone'll be along soon with some good advice, no worries, x

hopefully someone from admin will be along to remove that mega-triple post too, i'm having a job doing it, i'm on my mobile, :)

just remembered i read a thing the other day that said, you should collect them early in the morning, so they are pooped out and have a good chance to get to know their new environment before they go to bed, :)

Thank you for the added info. I have had Bernie for 2 weeks now and long term I wanted him in the kitchen in his crate (we're actually at that stage now). Sleeping in a crate is ideal because that's his place to sleep no matter which room it is in. Start him out in your bedroom to help him settle in. Set the crate up on your side of the bed so that if he starts to whimper you can put a hand out and smooth him. After a couple days, move the crate into the kitchen.

I always leave the crate open so he can access food and water. I leave a handful of kibble in his bowl over night in case he gets peckish. Pop and training pad out as well for him to piddle/poop on. I place a blanket over the back and sides of the crate as well to create darkness and it just makes it appear cozier.

Don't ignore the crying, remember he is a baby. He needs lots of reassurance and affection.

With Bernie, as a reward for being good through the night and sleeping in his crate, he's allowed to come into our bed for morning cuddles :)

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need any other tips!

Also, try and make sure they go to the toilet before bedtime and before putting them to bed have a real good play session. Get him really really tired out!

I always keep my puppies in my bedroom for at least a week or two, then if they move I can get up and take them to the toilet.... I find it helps with training :)

I respond to crying but I was told not to, but I cant help it! :lol:

Dixie and Winston are both crate trained. When we got Dixie crate was in bedroom and we got up everytime she did and took her out for a wee (bought a torch and huge brolly! I had a few wobbles about doing some of the wee runs cos I had started watching the walking dead, ;) ) We also bought her a hot water bottle in a lion cover she LOVES it. She has a fleece blanket over her crate to make a den and she has a teddy in there (charity shop buy!) We treat her when she goes in crate and comes out (high value treat chicken or cheese) Dixies crate is downstairs now. Winston has really good bladder control!!! he was well trained by the time we collected him at 12 weeks old. His crate is in our room more often than not he is our bed though. He has a hot water bottle with a lion cover as well and he has a winnie the pooh soft toy he snuggles with in crate. In the day you will normally find him in Dixies crate though snuggled up to her unless he's wicking her off and she tells him to do one (w00t) . They both went/go to puppy playgroup and Dixie is doing Puppy 1 but falling her second go miserably!!

Both our previous dogs were about 8-9 weeks old when we brought them into out home. Our first one a German Shepard gave us a little trouble on the first few nights by crying and barking and it was when we contacted the breeders to find a solution and we were told to place an old clock or anything that 'ticks' loudly in a soft towel or or a cushion and place it in the puppy's sleping basket. This would resemble the sound of the mothers heartbeat and will bring a soothing comfort to the young pup. It worked very well as it did with our later dog a Weinmaraner. This keeps them calm at night and they get used to 'their' private area very quickly and both dogs never soiled the area at any time.

Hope that helps.

We've got him a little hot water bottle and will be getting a clock to wrap up. So excited to be picking him up this weekend.

I went to see a friends puppy last week - that puppy smell makes me all broody!!!

Don't forget to come and share pics!!!

Ok so an update to this thread, last night was Baxter's first night in our house......I'm a little concerned he did not make a sound, we put him to bed and turned the light out at 1030 without the hot water bottle or the clock we bought. Hubs and I stayed up until midnight watching tv and then went to bed, we both took some time getting to sleep as we were thinking about Baxter.

Hubs was up a few times in the night and said he didn't hear a peep out of Baxter. My alarm went off at 6am, I turned it off and lay there for a minute before asking my husband if he heard anything? I then panicked and thought "oh no, he must've been too cold....what if he's..........(i can't bring myself to type what I thought) I pulled on my dressing gown and nipped downstairs, I poked my head around the kitchen door to see Baxter lying in his crate. As soon as he saw me, he was soooo excited and wagging his tail.

Should I be concerned that he didn't cry? I'm totally expecting him to cry tonight.

no i wouldn't be concerned at all. Your breeder lady, following that misty method thing, will have trained him to sleep at night, so this a brilliant development. I'd just be glad you didn't have to ignore him crying, that would be sooo hard to do.

Eeek congratulations! Very excited for you!

Back