The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Puppy eating poop

Jamie123

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have two mongrel pups (brothers) of almost 4 months old and are eating almost everything then can get their mouths around except faeces up to now. On our walks there's a spot under a bush where I guess is another dogs "spot" for a poop and one of the pups always takes an interest in that and only that but as I know about it I'm wary and call him away. All good so far.

The other one hasn't been bothered until I caught him tucking in to one today, it was really old too which seems to go against a lot of normal behaviour I've read about. He's had a bit of diarrhoea and been sick once but is ok now so I'm just going to fast him for 24 hours and keep an eye on him.

I'm just curious of the behaviour to eat an old poop though, has any one else experienced this or no of something preventative I can do other than telling him no?

Thanks in advance

Try live probiotic natural yoghurt. Gypsysmum, another member here, has had some success. What weight are they?

Also try not to react (hard as that is). Dogs like a reaction so might try to get you to do it again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it was another dog poo and not a human one? when did you last walk past the offending bush ?

I don't mind my lot eating our donkey poo's or rabbit/deer/cow or sheep poo's but another dog or possible human one just turns my stomach. OH YUK !!

Well that didn't turn out very well, he got really sick and collapsed, we had him to the emergency vets and he spent the night on a drip and various medicines! He's back at home now though and ready to get back to normal life.

Thanks for the advice though I'll try not to react in future as I certainly do normally

12871446_10157175889135495_1929578797068989499_n.jpg

Thats awful, poor thing! Im guessing he is about 4-6 kilos, try a dessert spoonful of yoghurt.

ahhh bless him hope hes ok now?

teaching a good leave it / take it command if useful for this, and a good recall. - think of it as the party is over here attittude!

has it only happened on walks?

yes reacting will just turn it into a game so try not to

Back