The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Puppy At Night

KJH1

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

Looking for some tips this time. Frankie our beautiful whippet pup is gorgeous and no trouble at all. Hes been with us since 27th March and he is still crying at night, not all night just when he goes in the utility (his bedroom) and at 5.10 in the morning, we are getting up then as he is trying to chew the door down. Having had two puppies together before we didnt have this problem, or perhaps it isnt a problem and he will grow out of it? My sis in law (who also has a whippet) said hers had stopped crying by now. Are there any tips anyone can give me? We have his cosy doggy bed in a crate (we dont lock it obviously) and there is a blanket over the crate (someone told us this makes them feel more secure) - he has a fairly big area in there , enough for food and water and somewhere to pee etc if he needs to.And some doggy toys. Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

Hello
Looking for some tips this time. Frankie our beautiful whippet pup is gorgeous and no trouble at all. Hes been with us since 27th March and he is still crying at night, not all night just when he goes in the utility (his bedroom) and at 5.10 in the morning, we are getting up then as he is trying to chew the door down. Having had two puppies together before we didnt have this problem, or perhaps it isnt a problem and he will grow out of it? My sis in law (who also has a whippet) said hers had stopped crying by now. Are there any tips anyone can give me? We have his cosy doggy bed in a crate (we dont lock it obviously) and there is a blanket over the crate (someone told us this makes them feel more secure) - he has a fairly big area in there , enough for food and water and somewhere to pee etc if he needs to.And some doggy toys. Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

Trying to put some photos on - bear with me...

for_k9.jpg

for_K_.jpg

He's sweet, you will just have to persevere I am afraid. Have you tried leaving a radio on low, or a loud ticking clock. Perhaps a bone, or a king stuffed with treat to keep him occupied and tire him out.

Does he have a favourite toy that he likes to snuggle up to or how about an old sweater with your scent on it for him to cuddle up to.

He looks lovely by the way.

When I got Misty she cried and whinned at night for months. She sleeps in the kitchen, didn't crate her but she had lots of toys in her cosy bed.

I used to sit outside the kitchen door, on the hall rug, saying '.....it's bedtime Misty, go to sleep'! :wacko: so she knew i was close but didn't give her phyiscal contact. I often used to fall asleep, -_- and then wake up very cold at 3am!!! It does get better....it just takes time. :))

My little Cree was the same .......but she used to get louder and louder........she was in a crate with her litter sister who never made a sound. I ended up putting her in her own crate, with no toys as it was bed time not play time, took her out for a 10 minute walk before bed time and bought some ear-plugs!!! She is now 5 months old and quiet as a mouse all night.....she doesnt make a sound until she hears me walking down stairs in the morning at 7am then she does this woooo woooo noise and dashes out for a wee. :wub: I know its hard but it does get better honest. Good luck with your pretty pup :)

My little Cree was the same .......but she used to get louder and louder........she was in a crate with her litter sister who never made a sound. I ended up putting her in her own crate, with no toys as it was bed time not play time, took her out for a 10 minute walk before bed time and bought some ear-plugs!!! She is now 5 months old and quiet as a mouse all night.....she doesnt make a sound until she hears me walking down stairs in the morning at 7am then she does this woooo woooo noise and dashes out for a wee. :wub: I know its hard but it does get better honest. Good luck with your pretty pup :)
My Fleur cried the house down as a puppy- I was in shock that something so small could make so much noise - in the daytime she would willingly get in her bed by the radiator and snuggle my Siamese at night she screamed the house down, it was distressing after 8 weeks I weakened and put her into my daughters bed - bliss we got our first nights sleep :D , and never looked back - I know we weakened but she was happy and so were we - I've never had a problem with my other whippets as pups though.

Sue x

Thanks for the replies - i guess its pretty normal then.

I do put some toys in with him - he doesnt have a fav one.

We were thinking of getting rid of the crate and putting his cosy bed in a plastic dog box (our old dogs used to love a chew on them) - anyone think this is a good idea or perhaps it wont make any difference?

Ours all go into there cages at nite no prob, as long as the whole cage is covered over with blankets, they feel secure and safe-we think, its a brilliant idea, never a sound.! :)

Hi all

We have two 6 month boys from the same litter, who have been crated at night from the start - originally together and then separately. In the last week or so, Huey has started crying and scrabbling to get out of his cage at 6 am (which we can just about deal with) then in became 5am - and finallt last night he started at 3 am! :rant: I left him till 3:30am them let them both out (in case they needed a wee - even though they had gone out at 11). Put them back in their crates and he started again off and on until 7am when we gave up. I really can't let him do this every night (apart from the fact I feel mean) we live in an upstairs flat and the scratching to get out of the crate is really loud. And there is no way I want them sleeping in our beds/ bedrooms - is there a shortcut in all of this or is it just being patient? Please help before I commit sleep-deprived whippeticide!

Back