The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Pup with umbilical hernia

spenne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all hernias need to be repaired and the hole quiet often closes up tightly itself just leaving a small bulge of fatty tissue. Never causing any problems.

How big is the hernia? The size of a pea or a golf ball or maybe even bigger?

The breeder was honest with you and you obviously decided to pay the deposit, maybe you should have asked the breeder at the time if they would make a reduction before a deposit was paid.

I would give the breeder a call and if you are not happy ask for a refund (although unless stated at time of payment I think a deposit is non returnable) . If you really do not want the puppy with the hernia you may have to forfeit the deposit.

The breeder was no way deceitful but honest and up front about the situation, the decision was yours too pay the deposit or walk away at the time and then discus the subject.

Do you intend to spay the puppy if it is a female, if so the repair can be done at the same time so to reduce the cost.

I would ask the breeder if the pup has been seen.by a vet and what course of action that vet recommend, I would even go as far as chatting to the vet that examined the pup myself. If the vet has recommend to the breeder that the hernia be repaired surgically and it is indeed several hundred pounds then I would be looking for the breeder to either share the costs or offer a reduced price for the pup. Unfortunately deposits are usually non refundable but maybe they will move the deposit to a pup without issues. My worry is what will happen to the pup if people don't want it as some (not all) breeders care about profit and not much else

Do you intend to spay the puppy if it is a female, if so the repair can be done at the same time so to reduce the cost.
That's what I thought. Also have you fallen in love with THIS puppy? Because I'd probably keep to the bargain anyway and if the breeder doesn't feel obliged to contribute I'd take on the cost rather than lose the pup. .

Back