The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Prominent Hairline On Pup's Neck

weedug

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this is a silly question; it's just that I haven't seen too many whippets so am unsure how common this is.

We have had him for 4 weeks now and it's been great fun so far.

Basically, our wee pet has a prominent line of hair on his neck (pics below). Is this called a crest, and is it typical for a pedigree whippet to have markings like this.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_0447.jpg

Sorry cant help you with your question.

What a cutie he is :wub:

Are you sure its not a Rhodesian Ridgeback? :p

Only joking, no ive seen a few whippets with this, not sure how common it is but the ones i have seen have been show whippets that all seem to be doing well so i wouldnt concern yourself :thumbsup:

I wonder if there are any more K9'ers who's dogs have 'ridges' :- " ?

Yes, I would say it is quite common, though that is one of the most noticeable ones I have seen, many of them are just about 2 or 3 inches long, and may be quite well hidden, under the neck for example. Some exhibitors trim the hair a bit so that it is less obvious. I have heard it called a crest, or a calf-lick.

My Lilly has a Calf Lick but was only about 2ins long at the Base of the Neck.

As Liz says you can Trim them a little to Hide it a bit...I did with Lilly, and it looked fine.

Good Luck with your Puppy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My Mikkee has one down her neck too ( see pic, you can just about see it ) although its not as prominant as your babys` . There is nothing in the breed standard about them being a `fault ` although I do know of at least one judge who would completely disregard any dog no matter how good they were irrespective of the `calf lick ` , :angry: I suppose we all have our `bug bares ` ,,,,,,,,,, mines feet :- " ( dogs not humans :oops: :lol: )

Finbar also has a "cowlick". My daughter really believes that a cow licked him when he was first born. He was the only one in the litter to have one. People have joked that he's crossed with a Ridgeback!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and kind comments.

He sometimes thinks he is a rhodesian ridgeback anyway until he encounters anything bigger than him then he's not so brave. :D

Cheers.

Yep, mine's got one too - they are quite common, it seems. :)

Good luck with your lovely pup, he looks delightful. :wub: :huggles:

In an accidental mating between father and daughter 2 of the 5 pups had calflicks. Your pup looks very good. Not too sure what judges think but would be interested in knowing . Regards, Stephen

Yep I also have a 'ridgeneck' whippet. I have seen it quite a bit & only on the neck, never seen it anywhere else on a whippet.

Linda

TJ has a 'cowlick' on one side running up from his elbow (as did Justa Jesta). It certainly wouldn't bother me when judging if a dog had a cowlick, I'm more interested in looking at conformation and movement!!!

Whorls or 'Prophet's thumbprints' are very valued in Arab horses, perhaps Whippets with cowlicks are special!!!

dessie said:
TJ has a 'cowlick' on one side running up from his elbow (as did Justa Jesta).  It certainly wouldn't bother me when judging if a dog had a cowlick, I'm more interested in looking at conformation and movement!!! 
Whorls or 'Prophet's thumbprints' are very valued in Arab horses, perhaps Whippets with cowlicks are special!!!

My Mikkee is :wub: , and she knows it :thumbsup: :huggles:

Back