The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Pre war handicap

sadieandco

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Heres something different in the way of a racing format...

This is run over 200 yds and was found in a book in the 1960's- Manton run this once a year for an annual trophy.

This has been won by the heavyweights ( 31lb bitch), Lightweight (16lb dog) and even 20-21lb bitches who seem to be the ones worse off when lookin at the marks - could this be fair????.

Weight (lb)               Mark of dog                 Mark of bitch

32                                 1                                SCR

31                                 2                                   1

30                                 3                                   2

29                                 4                                   3

28                                 5                                   4

27                                 6                                   5

26                                 7                                   6

25                                 8                                   7

24                                 9                                   8

23                                10                                  9

22                                11                                 10

21                                12                                 11

20                                13 1/2                            11 1/2  

19                                15                                 12

18                                16 1/2                            13 1/2

17                                18                                  15

16                                20                                  17

15                                22 1/2                            18 1/2

14                                25 1/2                             21

Has anyone got any comments on this one????

DIFFERENT OR WHAT!!!!!   :D   :D   :D

hiya. thats different but it would be fairer than most handicaps and it would give that dogs a chance to show in the results. gud idea

that format looks much fairer than normal yd/lb racing. it would give all dogs a chance to win and the dogs would get a better chance to show. gud idea but imagine how long it would take us to get a programme at champs without simple yd/lb he he just kiddin :p   :p   :D   :D

Differential handicaps like this were common at the start of whippet racing. I suppose that in those days they were interested in giving all racers the same chance of winning.

We have laptop computers nowadays that ought to be able to produce a complete program within 5 minutes of end of weigh-in - even with a differential handicap as above.Do you think it took Manton 3hrs to start racing with this system?

Hi Sadie. It would be nice to see this format in action at some of the opens, rather then yd. per lb.   :)

To Tony

Hi, it would be very nice if every club could afford a laptop.

I debt many could ours included  ???  As for the three hour wait, its all getting rather boring now.

Yes it is a long time to wait Im sure it will be bought up at the a.g.m.  Has anyone mentioned the fact that some people who had travelled along way were allowed to weigh in  dogs up to 20 minutes after end of weigh in.

Most clubs may not be able to afford a laptop but the Bwra could if needed. Most clubs get the racing off in time and racing in the past, with larger entries, started on time which was my point really I was being ironic suggesting a computer was nessacery  ???

We weighed in after time (only just and others were waiting) whigh sort of makes a 10pm weigh in pointless - why not just have a 11pm weigh-in in the first place to allow those that travel chance to arrive?

I agree with wanting these type of formats at opensthough :)

Sadie, I am sure that who ever wrote this handicap system in a book must have found the system worked well or they would not have bothered to write it down, It must make a pleasant change for your club members to run at this handicap.Any type of handicap must be seen and proven to be fair and just, If all who run at this are content, or the majority are content then it must be good for your club. Thankyou for putting the details of this handicap on the boards

As far as handicap format's go there's always going to be conflict as you just can't satisfy everyone apart from running a time handicap, obviously this would be no good for champs etc.

I agree Vicky, you can't stop conflict and not all are satisfied even when entering a time open, I cannot remember this format sadie but i suppose we used to run  at this all them years ago :0  good format :p   :p   :D

Back