The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Poor Blues And Blacks Again

There is also black Champion somewhere in Florida called Rocky, he is the sire of Bo Bengtsen's black/white pup. This dog goes back to OZ Ch.Hydale Black In Style, which was exported to Danemark.

Having lived with Handy (Am Ch Shamasan Hound Hill Body N Soul) for a week or more twice this year I will stand by that he is ALL black (well yes he does have a little white on his toes and chest). He is a gorgeous dog and fully deserved his Best Opposite Sex at the AWC National under Bo Bengston back in late April.

Maybe you are confusing him with his mother Nellie (Ch. Shamasan Flame 'N Queen ARX TRP DPC CR JC) who is definitely blue.

Interesting that in his litter there was a black dog and bitch, white dog and bitch (and they still haven't found a coloured hair on the white boy to work out his "underlying colour"?) a red dog, a fawn bitch and a red parti bitch. Their sire Ch Hound Hill Classical Rag is known not to carry the brindle gene.

If you're interested in colour go to Phoebe's site and have a look at "Michael" - Shamasan Holy Smokes -

http://hometown.aol.com/shamasan2/ShamasanHolySmokes.html

Lisa

Isilwane

Seraphina said:
Rocky does remind me a wee bit of my Oto's lad Oscar

sorry not a stacky pic

RSCN0090_1.JPG

Karen said:
It always puzzles me when people start talking about colour. 
Why??

When we are in a breed that has such a diversity of colour, why should we not keep the colours we like best?? I do not see a problem with that but there is no doubt that blacks and blues are a real NO NO as far as showing is concerned so it makes it difficult to include them in, as far as I am concerned, a limited breeding programme. I have to like a dog for his conformation/movement first and colour second but I would still like to have a choice, the same as I have for brindles, particolours, fawns etc. The few black champions we have had I don't personally like as Whippets so therefore would not have considered using them anyway. Not that I have to use a champion dog ............. I will use any dog that I really like, he doesn't have to be a champion, but he must have qualities that I am looking for to complement my bitches!!! If he is black (or blue) as well, so much the better. I am just kicking myself now that I didn't use my old black dog on one of my brindle girlies.

Caroline,

Did Wendy ever send you the link for the Great Dane 'colour striptease'? If not, get her to send it along. If there's a black overcoat, the dog will be black! ;)

Marina

Christie said:
Caroline,
Did Wendy ever send you the link for the Great Dane 'colour striptease'? If not, get her to send it along. If there's a black overcoat, the dog will be black! ;)

Marina

well ive just got my first whippet puppy and guess what colour she is lol,looks like she will be staying home w
sp07_030.jpg
hen i go champ shows

Christie said:
Caroline,

Marina

Nooooooooooooo ....................I shall look forward to seeing that then Millie!!!!

devonmaid said:
well ive just got my first whippet puppy and guess what colour she is lol,looks like she will be staying home w
sp07_030.jpg
hen i go champ shows
Well I think she is very nice :wub: , what do you call her and what is her pedigree and we want to see lots more pics :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, blues and blacks :wub: . Blue is my favourite colour in whippets, and I like blacks, too :) . Blues and blacks are a very rare sight in show rings also in Finland, but hopefully their numbers will increase in coming years :thumbsup: .

Here's another nice page about colour genetics (actually in greyhounds) :

http://www.galtd.org.au/new_page_4.htm

In the following pic there's a black Champion whippet in the 1970s. She was bred in Finland but both her parents were imported from the UK (Boughton whippets) . (Sorry about the quality of the photo. )

140880979_7899de0d34.jpg

Dusilla said:
Oh, blues and blacks :wub: . Blue is my favourite colour in whippets, and I like blacks, too  :) . Blues and blacks are a very rare sight in show rings also in Finland, but hopefully their numbers will increase in coming years :thumbsup: .
Here's another nice page about colour genetics (actually in greyhounds) :

http://www.galtd.org.au/new_page_4.htm

In the following pic there's a black Champion whippet in the 1970s. She was bred in Finland but both her parents were imported from the UK (Boughton whippets) . (Sorry about the quality of the photo. )

140880979_7899de0d34.jpg

As you might not know Laila ( :- " ) there has been at least two coloured imports in Finland lately:

The blue Dog "Bob" Sommarhagens Carribean Blue by Macawe Watson de la Mezzotinto (by my Malcolm X) out of Gatecastle's Octopussy at Sommarhagen (Grand daughter Ch. Birkonbrae True E Nuff), Best Bitch n°3 Tammsvik 2004 (???) )

The Black bitch "Mona" Taraly Black Panther which I bred :)

Hopefully they will make good impression on other exhibitors if not on judges.

I also saw a black bitch taking CC or ResCC at Finnish Specialty 2004 under Pauline Oliver.

Morgan said:
Dusilla said:
Oh, blues and blacks :wub: . Blue is my favourite colour in whippets, and I like blacks, too  :) . Blues and blacks are a very rare sight in show rings also in Finland, but hopefully their numbers will increase in coming years :thumbsup: .
As you might not know Laila ( :- " ) there has been at least two coloured imports in Finland lately:

The blue Dog "Bob" Sommarhagens Carribean Blue by Macawe Watson de la Mezzotinto (by my Malcolm X) out of Gatecastle's Octopussy at Sommarhagen (Grand daughter Ch. Birkonbrae True E Nuff), Best Bitch n°3 Tammsvik 2004 (???) )

The Black bitch "Mona" Taraly Black Panther which I bred :)

Hopefully they will make good impression on other exhibitors if not on judges.

Thanks Tamara :) . Actually I had noticed their arrival when surfing the internet :D 8) . I haven't seen them in person yet, though, and I'm eagerly waiting to see them in the ring in the future. They both look lovely in the pics :thumbsup: .

Morgan said:
I also saw a black bitch taking CC or ResCC at Finnish Specialty 2004 under Pauline Oliver.
Yes, it was a Junior Class bitch Of Streamline Humble Mumble taking ResCC :thumbsup: .

I agree with Beaker, some colours do tend to take over don't they! I always said I would only have gold fawns, and maybe one black, and what do I see in my garden? FOUR Brindles! One fawn and white particolour, two blacks and one gold fawn! I agree with Dessie, though, one should try to breed to the best regardless of colour. And often it is hard to find the particular virtues one is looking for in the colour of choice.

Seraphina said:
dessie said:

Right, I have read and re-read this several times. My original question was why can't I bred a black from two black-bred brindles and you all told me that IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

So how come, unless I am reading this very wrongly, does the lady who wrote the Great Dane striptease come up with (and I quote)

"So what do we get? We seem to have two piles of recessive jumpsuits-ff for fawn and dd for blue. You'll never guess what Punnett produces. All resulting puppies in this case are SOLID BLACK!

How does that grab you? And you thought you were beginning to understand this, didn't you? Don't worry, you are. There are just a couple more little details. That black mask on the fawn was DD, remember? And in this case because of the blue's lack of underwear (believe me) another rule applies-that solid colour covers a pattern. So voila! Abracadabra, the DD of that black mask finds the dd of the blue dog and covers it up, and the solid of the solid blue covers up the pattern of the fawn-with-mask. Presto change-o, solid black dogs. (Brindle is a pattern too, of course, so the same thing would apply[/color].)"

The critical point is in the last sentence. Not that I am totally confused or anything! LOL!

dessie said:
Seraphina said:
dessie said:

Right, I have read and re-read this several times. My original question was why can't I bred a black from two black-bred brindles and you all told me that IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

So how come, unless I am reading this very wrongly, does the lady who wrote the Great Dane striptease come up with (and I quote)

"So what do we get? We seem to have two piles of recessive jumpsuits-ff for fawn and dd for blue. You'll never guess what Punnett produces. All resulting puppies in this case are SOLID BLACK!

How does that grab you? And you thought you were beginning to understand this, didn't you? Don't worry, you are. There are just a couple more little details. That black mask on the fawn was DD, remember? And in this case because of the blue's lack of underwear (believe me) another rule applies-that solid colour covers a pattern. So voila! Abracadabra, the DD of that black mask finds the dd of the blue dog and covers it up, and the solid of the solid blue covers up the pattern of the fawn-with-mask. Presto change-o, solid black dogs. (Brindle is a pattern too, of course, so the same thing would apply[/color].)"

The critical point is in the last sentence. Not that I am totally confused or anything! LOL!

The solid blue is in fact diluted black. Genetically the blue is KK (black) but with the diluted dd gene, mated to fawn with black mask which is DD and kk (fawn), each pup will get one gene of each pair from mum and other from daddy to form a new pair. So they would all be Dd (full pigmented, carrying dilute) and Kk (black carrying fawn). What she means is that solid blue mated to full pigmented brindles will also throw solid blacks.

I never liked this Dane striptease thingy, but some people find it easiest way to remeber which colours are most dominanant and which are the least.

Back