The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Please Any Advise?

cath317

Registered
Reaction score
:( I am hoping someone could please give me some advice? I have a 5 year old whippet bitch who has just been diagnosed with muscle degeneration in her skull

Has anyone had any experience of this condition?

I've never heard of such a thing. What is the medical name for it? If you know the proper name for it you might be able to search something out if you Google it. Very sorry for you & her anyway.

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmmm...are you sure you heard correctly? The brain is inside the scull, no muscles. What are the symptoms? It was not the 1st April when she was diagnosed, was it? :unsure:

I took it that she meant muscles of the head, jaws face etc.

Linda

kirislin said:
I took it that she meant muscles of the head, jaws face etc.  Linda

You may be right :b i took it literally. Still, muscle degenerative diseases like muscular distrophy or motor neuron disease affect the whole body and are at first most noticable in legs (I think). :unsure:

cath317 said:
:( I am hoping someone could please give me some advice? I have a 5 year old whippet bitch who has just been diagnosed with muscle degeneration in her skull Has anyone had any experience of this condition?

Sorry for your troubles All I can say without seeing the dog is that Muscle wastage itself is not a diagnosis Your Vet Should be aiming to find what has been causing the muscles to atrophy in the first place.A lot of the more comman muscle diseases are breed Specific and Whippets are not among them please treat this advise as a guide only and consult your vet, but one of the most common muscle diseases in dogs is Myositis of the jaw muscles [ Masticatory myyositis] Affected dogs are often subdued with a high temp it is thought to occur due to an imune system malfunction which results in the dogs immune system attacking its own jaw muscles the good news is it is treatable using "Corticosteroids"hope this is of some help but again this is something you need to see your vet about

Back