The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Pilchards/sardines....

jezza said:
Mine like them but I have been told not to buy the ones in brine too as they contain too much salt. I get the ones in oil mainly because my 2 will sometimes like the ones in tomato juice and sometimes they will turn their noses up  :wacko:
I think it depends on the brand  :p   they seem to like those sardinellas in a round tin but a lot smaller than a normal size tin  :)   and they just happen to be quite cheap which is good - my dogs obviously don't have expensive taste  :lol:

hi

yea i fed mine them too mostly the tomato sauce ones i have given the ones in brine once or twice never realieased they had too much salt in them. i will diffo stick too tomato ones. :thumbsup:

rhonda

Karen-Coral said:
*Lesley* said:
rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:
We've always got a tray of tins of sardines in tomato sauce in the cupboard.  The whips love them.  They have them a couple of times a week. 18p a tin in Asda  :cheers:
Yep-18p-smart price-but they don't have ring pulls though :(

No ring pulls - I just make my OH get the tin opener out. Hurts my poor little hands trying to open them :- " :lol:

Lol-If you're opening a number of tins-8/10 a ring pull is a must. Too fiddly with tin opener.

Wouldn't envy you that task!!

I am moaning if I have to do 3 tins :b It seriously hurts!

You need an electic tin opener :thumbsup: you just need to stand back at the end so it doesnt splat you (w00t)

Funny this topic coming up because we buy sardines and green beans for the dogs from tesco & usually buy about 20 tins at a time anyway I went shopping yesterday and they have made a new policy that you can only buy 10 of anything at a time :oops: we must have been clearing them out :lol:

Green Beans....Never really fed them before/only as leftovers from our plates-any particular reason? benefit?

Yes you're right- I'll look out for an electric opener :thumbsup:

The green beans were originally just given to Kane to get a bit of weight off him,so we cut his food down a little and replaced it with the green beansfilling but with no fat, he loves them so we thought we'd put just put a few in with the others full amount of food, they really like them,and they are good for vitimins, it was Sarah's tip(maggiemay)

mines been having green beans for over a year now,they do love them and helps reduce weight if they need to shed a ounce or two :D

Hi ya, My 3 love then too they have been having them for years but i prefer to give them the sardines in vegtable oil because its brilliant for their coats and joints. If you can get to a Lidal shop they are the cheapest at 25p a tin my lot have they about 3 times a week also i give them tinned tomatoes they love them too. In fact my dogs are better feed than me :lol: Clare

Mine had sardines in sunflower oil with their tea tonight. Even Rafferty who can be a bit picky likes them. He draws the line at green beans tho but Hebe will eat them...mind you, I've not found anything she won't eat :lol: I do need to keep an eye on Hebes weight as she is such a piglet so as treats, instead of biscuits, I give her carrots or those little "mange-tout" things, they are really crunchy & she seems to like them.

They also have cottage cheese, tuna in oil & natural yogurt regularly.

They also have a better diet than we do :- "

Do you give them a whole tin at a time? Gave some to Muffin and Jonah tonight and they loved them but wasn't sure how much they should have. :thumbsup:

hi,

mine have sardines in tomato sauce, as ecksey gets cramp, and it seems to help him.

Last edited by a moderator:
gilliwigs said:
Do you give them a whole tin at a time?  Gave some to Muffin and Jonah tonight and they loved them but wasn't sure how much they should have.  :thumbsup:
I give mine half a tin of sardines in oil, mixed in with a slice of wholemeal bread, they love it. Sometimes I give a full tin over some biscuits, or a tin in tomato juice. Don't have a set plan really!

I think Lenny is about to get the 'green bean treatment'. He definately is getting a bit portly since his castration. Mind you, he was a bit plump before the op - the vet said he was over weight but we managed to get a bit off him. I don't know what he'll think to the beans though - Molly loves veg, Lenny tends to eat round it :blink:

gilliwigs said:
Do you give them a whole tin at a time?  Gave some to Muffin and Jonah tonight and they loved them but wasn't sure how much they should have.  :thumbsup:
I really dont think you could overfeed these Gillian

if Im feeding the flat small tins I give them a tin each...but If feeding the large Gelnryke tins..I split it between my three... :thumbsup:

I feed these one morning and the chicken wings the next... :thumbsup:

blue always used to love them and had a tin with oil each day, lovely and shiney she was :wub: - now she's given up eating though so won't touch them :angry:

gilliwigs said:
Yes a whole tin at a time is fine thats what my 3 have a tin each :thumbsup: Clare

My Aphrodite loved any crunchy fruit and veg. Her favourite was the baby sweetcorn also the core of a lettuce or a lump of cucumber. Unfortunately Trev turns his nose up at any veg although my friend gave him a carrot and he nibbled that one a bit but he does luuuurve sardines.

Back