The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Pet Insurance

Going off subject slightly but have wondered how breeders go about getting their

whippets insurance. Insurance must be available for them but as breeders I

would imagine the premiums are very expensive, there being quite a high risk

factor involved.

A reputable breeder would only allow their bitches to have so many litters during

it's whole life ( don't know how many) so are they unfairly penalised by heavy premiums. :unsure:

mazza said:
Going off subject slightly but have wondered how breeders go about getting their
whippets insurance. Insurance must be available for them but as breeders  I

would imagine the premiums are very expensive, there being quite a high risk

factor involved.

A reputable breeder would only allow their bitches to have so many litters during

it's whole life ( don't know how many) so are they unfairly penalised by heavy premiums. :unsure:

I'll think you'll find most insurers don't cover pregnancy and birth related problems. The one's i've seen don't anyway. :thumbsup:

Thats right Jo , they dont , :angry:

Ive just got a 3 insured now . :luck: Whippets IMO are very healthy and its just bad luck if they get injured or are ill .

Ive had one break his hock (13+ years ago) that cost nearly £1,000.00 (w00t) (w00t) , and Myzee had mamory tumoure about 6 yaers ago that cost over £600.00. Mayzee was insured , 8) Badger wasnt :( .

With having so many :oops: I wouldnt be able to afford to insure the all . The fact that 3 are over the 8 years range where they take off £100.00 plus only pay the remaining 50 % :eek: means if a disaster struck :( I would have to put in on

the `card ` ;)

~whitecross whippets~ said:
well ive took your advice (w00t) ...i cancelled all 3 dog policies with petplan (not my rabbit ones though) and have insured them with marks and spencers.....no excess and for just over £30 for all 3 :thumbsup: i asked them all the questions under the sun and it does seem as good as they say o:) no excess is amazing!!!!...i am a bit nervous cos ive always used petplan ...but i am very pleased...thanks :cheers:

I did the same. I ended up paying only a few £ more for 3 with M&S than I had with 2 with Petplan. Almost identical cover and no excess. A month after Chelsea's plan started I had a claim for about £1000 and they paid up no problem. They paid £34 for Savannah for a pulled vertabrae for the vet and the chiropracter, they paid Chelsea's tooth surgery last month and even covered the cleaning done while under for a tooth pull (I thought they might deduct that - Pet Plan would have).

They pay for Chelsea's anti anxiety meds, and something else recently for Teya that I can't remember.

Chelsea will have an excess next year, and a %, but once put in place it will stay the same unlike PetPlan which then increases every year.

I was also impressed that they didn't change Chelsesa's policy on her birthday, but went by the start date of the policy - so actually she gets almost an extra year of No Excess that we didnt' expect.

I have NO complaints

Wendy

Wendy said:
I did the same. I ended up paying only a few £ more for 3 with M&S than I had with 2 with Petplan. Almost identical cover and no excess. A month after Chelsea's plan started I had a claim for about £1000 and they paid up no problem. They paid £34 for Savannah for a pulled vertabrae for the vet and the chiropracter, they paid Chelsea's tooth surgery last month and even covered the cleaning done while under for a tooth pull (I thought they might deduct that - Pet Plan would have).

They pay for Chelsea's anti anxiety meds, and something else recently for Teya that I can't remember.

Chelsea will have an excess next year, and a %, but once put in place it will stay the same unlike PetPlan which then increases every year.

I was also impressed that they didn't change Chelsesa's policy on her birthday, but went by the start date of the policy - so actually she gets almost an extra year of No Excess that we didnt' expect.

I have NO complaints

Wendy

omg i didnt want to read your post at first cos i thought someone was going to say they were rubbish (w00t) ...is chelsea 8ys old...is that why the no excess stops?

:cheers:

Wendy said:

I have NO complaints

Wendy

omg i didnt want to read your post at first cos i thought someone was going to say they were rubbish (w00t) ...is chelsea 8ys old...is that why the no excess stops?

:cheers:

Sorry to have scared you - I was one of the first ones here to actually go for it, and was the first one at my vets office to go for it. The vets have been soo impressed that they are now recommending it as well as PetPlan, AND one vet even got his mum to insure their new pup with it because of him seeing our positive experience with them.

Chelsea turned 8 in November - her policy year began at the end of September, so yes, that's why next year she'll lose her no excess. But where with Petplan they increase the excess AND the % extra EVERY YEAR after that age, with M&S they give the regular excess (£50 I think) and then 20% of the cost after that - and it stays like that.

My experience has only been positive. I did have one claim refused, but I knew it probably would be. I don't normally claim as much as I have since I've gone with them - just had a bit of bad luck, AND with the no excess I've been able to claim some small things that I wouldnt' have been able to before.

I am a total promoter for them (and no I don't get any commission LOL).

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
omg i didnt want to read your post at first cos i thought someone was going to say they were rubbish (w00t) ...is chelsea 8ys old...is that why the no excess stops?:cheers:

I think they expect more claims after 8 years old which is why they stop the no excess. It's still a pretty good bargain though.

I had Petplan before and my cat, who is diabetic and 13 years old I had to pay the first £225 + 20% on any claim!! Yes really!! :wacko: I have changed it now so the excess is only about £85 + 20%, but still with Petplan because M&S weren't able to cover her diabetes as it is a pre-existing conditon.

JAX said:
What ever you decide

[SIZE=21pt]DO NOT USE E& L [/SIZE]

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  :rant:   :rant:   :rant:

Trust me , ive had experiance of them on more than one occasion  ;)

you are right they are terrible!!!!! :angry:

Hi

Im sure i have just taken out my caravan insurance with these!!! now im worried,... whats wrong with them?

Zeb was with Tesco last year, but had same problems like they needed a reciet for him, which i cant find or they would not pay out if i dead. so this year his with more than through them his now with petback.

annlouise said:
JAX said:
What ever you decide

[SIZE=21pt]DO NOT USE E& L [/SIZE]

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  :rant:   :rant:   :rant:

Trust me , ive had experiance of them on more than one occasion  ;)

you are right they are terrible!!!!! :angry:

Hi

Im sure i have just taken out my caravan insurance with these!!! now im worried,... whats wrong with them?

i dont know how they are with caravans but with pets they are a nightmare...just loads of hassle...long wait for payouts...stupid clauses...etc....

my caravan is insured with the caravan club :thumbsup:

DO NOT USE E& L
That is sooo true ... I had heard negative things about E&L over the years and a friend wouldn't listen to me when she asked me about pet insurance and I said don't touch E & L. She sang their praises for a while until she needed to actually claim from them.

Needless to say she has now had her fingers burnt with them and would not now touch them with a bargepole.

Wendy said:
Wendy said:

My experience has only been positive. I did have one claim refused, but I knew it probably would be. I don't normally claim as much as I have since I've gone with them - just had a bit of bad luck, AND with the no excess I've been able to claim some small things that I wouldnt' have been able to before.

Wendy

do you mind me asking why it was refused? :thumbsup:

My experience has only been positive.  I did have one claim refused, but I knew it probably would be.  I don't normally claim as much as I have since I've gone with them - just had a bit of bad luck, AND with the no excess I've been able to claim some small things that I wouldnt' have been able to before.

Wendy

Not a problem. Teya had a dew claw grow back and it was growing in such a way it had to be removed. They were clear in the policy that they don't cover dew claws. We tried to claim anyway since it was necessary surgery and not elective and they refused under the no dew claw clause. I suspect if I had pushed them hard they might have paid, but with already having a hefty claim for Chelsea I figured it wasn't worth it as it wasn't a huge amount anyway, and we knew going in it probably wasn't going to be accepted without a push.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy said:
My experience has only been positive.  I did have one claim refused, but I knew it probably would be.  I don't normally claim as much as I have since I've gone with them - just had a bit of bad luck, AND with the no excess I've been able to claim some small things that I wouldnt' have been able to before.

Wendy

Not a problem. Teya had a dew claw grow back and it was growing in such a way it had to be removed. They were clear in the policy that they don't cover dew claws. We tried to claim anyway since it was necessary surgery and not elective and they refused under the no dew claw clause. I suspect if I had pushed them hard they might have paid, but with already having a hefty claim for Chelsea I figured it wasn't worth it as it wasn't a huge amount anyway, and we knew going in it probably wasn't going to be accepted without a push.

Wendy

i suppose thats fair enough o:) ...thanks for the reply :cheers:

Not a problem.  Teya had a dew claw grow back and it was growing in such a way it had to be removed.  They were clear in the policy that they don't cover dew claws.  We tried to claim anyway since it was necessary surgery and not elective and they refused under the no dew claw clause.  I suspect if I had pushed them hard they might have paid, but with already having a hefty claim for Chelsea I figured it wasn't worth it as it wasn't a huge amount anyway, and we knew going in it probably wasn't going to be accepted without a push.

Wendy

i suppose thats fair enough o:) ...thanks for the reply :cheers:

I figure it pays off in what I mentioned earlier. Pet Plan would have refused to pay about 1/2 of Chelsea's dental costs when she had a tooth removed. They'd not have paid for the dental cleaning that we had done at the same time. M&S didn't bat an eye and paid up the whole thing.

And as I said, I suspect if I'd pushed it they would probably have ok'd it, it just wasn't worth it to me at the time to try it.

With everything else they've paid without query I think we've done well :D

Wendy

:D :D :D

Thank you for everyone's advice about dog insurance.

I am going to go for Marks and Spencers, as quite a lot of people had positive

things to say about them.

hiya, ive had mine insured with Tesco and found them to be superb, swift reliable payouts. Have been shpping around tho as my old boy now costing £25 a month!! Looked at E qand L and was tempted but lets say my "dogs medical adviser" (Vet) suggested i didnt touch with a barge pole!!

Am interested in others tho so looking at the links thanks guys.

Have just had a look at the M&S pet ins and have now just signed for their no excess plan. Have been in a bit of a dilemma over the last few weeks about which one to go for, now sorted thanks to this thread...

Rabbitrunner ;)

i think from now on ....cos everyone has now signed up with them...anyone with bad experiences with marks and spencer should KEEP QUIET!!!! :lol: (w00t)

Back