The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

People Who Crossbreed Make Me Sick!

maggie217 said:
TTT said:
I know several dogs who are deliberate poodle crosses.  Handy, clever, healthy small dogs with non-shedding coats!  I don't know how much they cost though!
But they aren't always non-shedding - depends on the genes they inherit. A pure bred poodle will be non-shedding though

Pauline

I'm speaking of the ones I know personally, they are non-shedding. :thumbsup:

I have a jack russell x chihuahua. She was bought as a jack russell, I saw both her parents (apparently :- " ) and I was happy with my choice. We had wanted a short legged terrier, and both her parents were just that. However, Midge is now 6 years old and still only the size of a 3 month old pup :eek: and weighs around 2kg (and she's a bit on the tubby side). She just never grew. I phoned the breeder when she was about 8 months old only to be told that they had crossed them a generation back with chihuahua's to get really small jack russells. I wish they had told me that before I bought her :angry: Not that we would change her for anything and love her to bits, but she is not what I set out to buy in the beginning.

Whenever we take her out we get people wanting to buy her, asking if we will breed with her etc. It really annoys me :rant: I've even had people tell me that I'm sitting with a little gold mine :eek: Her pups would be worth a fortune if I mated her to a small chihuahua male. It is never going to happen - so get over it :rant:

i Just have to say that without someone breeding cross breeds i wouldn't have any of my wonderful dogs here with me today :)) but can understand your concerns i for one hate all the new names that are being used to sell cross breeds for stupid sums of money :eek: In my local paper some one is sell ridgebacks crossed with poodles for £800 (why) also saying their pedigree which the parents might me but the pups are not :angry: If i ever had room for another dog my choice would always be a rescue and a mutt :))

There are cross bred dogs that make wonderful pets and I do not believe they should be given away for nothing but to breed them purposefully and then ask these exhorbitant prices is just preying on the ignorance of the potential buyers and the dogs are the ones which will bear the cost.

There was a litter of SHOOTESE for sale in my local paper last night.

These have a SHOODLE mother and a MALTESE father. £600 each.

I guess the mother is a SHIH TZU cross POODLE. So these are proper mongrels for sale at £600 :- "

I bet they are sweet puppies, but are there going to be any more generations?

Pauline

Last edited by a moderator:
TTT said:
I don't think it is only breeders of 'crossbreeds', designer or otherwise who are exploiting dogs for money, wev'e seen that on here recenlty.  Look at all the pedigree specimens with the disasterous congenital faults - all available - just show the colour of your money.... 
As in all activities that people become involved in, i feel there is a lot of snobbery involved in producing dogs and a lot of people are guilty of 'do as i say, not as i do'.

I know several dogs who are deliberate poodle crosses.  Handy, clever, healthy small dogs with non-shedding coats!  I don't know how much they cost though!

I think some crosses are better than full breeds. What about lurchers? I have a bedlington/whippet which i chose after a lot of research because they combine the gentleness of a whippet with the hardiness and cheekiness of the terrier. And aren't cross breeds generally healthier? Didn't pay a fortune for her though.

Smallbear said:
TTT said:
I don't think it is only breeders of 'crossbreeds', designer or otherwise who are exploiting dogs for money, wev'e seen that on here recenlty.  Look at all the pedigree specimens with the disasterous congenital faults - all available - just show the colour of your money.... 
As in all activities that people become involved in, i feel there is a lot of snobbery involved in producing dogs and a lot of people are guilty of 'do as i say, not as i do'.

I think some crosses are better than full breeds. What about lurchers? I have a bedlington/whippet which i chose after a lot of research because they combine the gentleness of a whippet with the hardiness and cheekiness of the terrier. And aren't cross breeds generally healthier? Didn't pay a fortune for her though.

ah well you see the difference is if you didnt pay much for your dog its a mutt but if you paid a fortune for it its a designer breed! 8) see thats how you can tell the difference! :thumbsup:

Back