The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Oxford Club Meeting

P

peppermint lady

oxford are running a club meeting on sunday, members and non members welcome :thumbsup:

please book in with jane ward by 9pm tuesday night on.........0118 9864537

see you there :thumbsup:

We will be there, as no racing at Worcester.

I'll be taking my car this time - hopefully we will get Poppy, Paddy and oursevles to the track this time without incident :thumbsup:

See you soon,

Neil

Thanks for the info Julie - we are coming too :cheers:

8) fingers crossed for a nice day and a some good racing, and get all these puppies trialing :thumbsup:

peppermint lady said:
8) fingers crossed for a nice day and a some good racing, and get all these puppies trialing :thumbsup:
Hello

We are going to bring Wally along to trial him again, and the camera to get some more great pictures!

Please can someone remind me what time it starts?

See you all on Sunday

Julie, Jeremy & Wally

we get their about 11 30 am things don,t start till about 12 o clock

look forward to seeing you sunday :thumbsup:

-

jemjack said:
peppermint lady said:
Hello

We are going to bring Wally along to trial him again, and the camera to get some more great pictures!

Please can someone remind me what time it starts?

See you all on Sunday

Julie, Jeremy & Wally

prob best to get there for about 11 as we start with trials :thumbsup:

looking forward to seeing wally again :wub: and dont worry there will be enough of us to help trap him (w00t)

dont forget the camera :) you took some great pics last time :thumbsup:

see you sunday....julie :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi, hope someone can help,

I only just spotted this thread but was hoping to come along this weekend and give Busta a run. Is it too late to book now? How much does it cost to join? What is the proceedure if you are new to the club? Will Busta have to do some sort of trial or something? He has raced before at the country show whippet racing but this will be his first proper club racing. Sorry about all the questions! Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Vicky

x

vs1 said:
Hi, hope someone can help,
I only just spotted this thread but was hoping to come along this weekend and give Busta a run.  Is it too late to book now?  How much does it cost to join?  What is the proceedure if you are new to the club?  Will Busta have to do some sort of trial or something?  He has raced before at the country show whippet racing but this will be his first proper club racing.  Sorry about all the questions!  Any advice would be much appreciated  :)

Vicky

x

Hi Vicky

Julie will probably give you some more info tomorrow, but generally most clubs let you go a couple of times to see if you and your dog take to it first before you have to join. When you get there, show Busta the lure, and rag him with it, let him bite it and shake it, and then get someone to set the lure off, and you let Busta go to chase it. I think it is important to get Busta to run away from you - so many times I hear people advise new racers to go up the track and shout the dog, but you don't want that, you want Busta to chase the lure, and not run to you. Most whippets will chase straight away, but don't be put off if he doesn't - sometimes its all a bit too new for them to take in, and you might need to just get him used to the noises of the traps and dogs barking. I'm trying to think of how old Busta is - I remember you getting him, but can't for the life of me remember when :wacko:

Julie will look after you anyway - if you haven't met her already, she's lovely :huggles: Just look for a mad woman with loads of puppies - oh no that could be Trish g as well (w00t) but she probabaly won't be at Oxford :teehee: :lol:

I've just re read your post, and seen that Busta has been to a race meet before, did he chase OK? You should have no problems, and trialing is normally a couple of quid :thumbsup: Have fun ;)

oh june :b :b your so kind :b

hi vicky.....no your not to late as you dont have to book in for trials, book in on the day :thumbsup: only racing dogs need booking in.

if you aim to get to the track for about 11am as we do the 1st round of trials first, about 11.30ish :thumbsup:

when you pull in to the gate way at the track (sports centre) go in the gate and up the track, drive past the buildings on your right then you will see a small car park on the right and us mad whippet folk will be there :thumbsup:

trials are only a couple of pound (not sure....always send dad to pay :b )

and you will get at least 2 trials for that :thumbsup: either hand slip or from the traps...if your on your own then dont worry somebody will trap/pick up your boy for you :thumbsup:

i can dig out a post code for the track if you need that :)

look forward to seeing you sunday :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I am tempted to come, might see you there for trials, depends on the night before :cheers:

Thanks June and Peppermint Lady,

I will definately come along on Sunday. I took Busta to Bourn End for his first ever try at racing in the Spring and he did do it but looked more like he was having a little run up the field rather than 'chasing'. After that we tried again at a couple of the Lurcherworld type country shows and he has now totally got the hang of it and chases hard. We've done straight racing and simulated coursing (although he always seemed to get put in against massive lurchers so it was a bit pointless, but he did try bless him!). It will be fun to see how he gets on against other whippets. The only thing he hasn't ever done is go into the traps. Everything we've done so far has been handslip. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go on Sunday. Hopefully see some friendly faces there. I will bring Chloe along as well although just for the ride as she still looks a bit weak and the only thing she will chase is Busta! :D Do I need to bring anything with me (like his papers or anything)? Thanks again for the help and advice.

Vicky

x

no you dont need to bring anything, just a drink and a sarnie for yourself :thumbsup:

as its will be your first time at our club busta will have to trial alone to begin with, this way you can start getting him going in the traps....

but when he is at a stage he can run with another dog, im sure between us we should have something to run with him :teehee:

i was at bourne end the day you went along....you commented on k9 after about how cute dottie and smudge our 2 parti girls were :wub: :wub:

peppermint lady said:
no you dont need to bring anything, just a drink and a sarnie for yourself :thumbsup: as its will be your first time at our club busta will have to trial alone to begin with, this way you can start getting him going in the traps....

but when he is at a stage he can run with another dog, im sure between us we should have something to run with him :teehee:

i was at bourne end the day you went along....you commented on k9 after about how cute dottie and smudge our 2 parti girls were :wub:   :wub:

Lol. I'm sure Busta will be happy to run alone....it's much better than having 5 great big hairy lurchers trample all over him like last time! :D Does this mean I get to meet the lovely Dottie and Smudge again? Now I'm really looking forward to Sunday! :)

Vicky

x

yes the not so lovely but more naughty sisters grim will be trialling :- "

they went from the traps for the 1st time last week, they are 8 months old now (w00t) you will also meet their sister poppy and possible brother kahn might be there also :huggles:

my names julie, and i drive a white van, il be the one in a tangle with the leads :b

if you want my mobile number in case you get lost then just let me know :thumbsup:

peppermint lady said:
yes the not so lovely but more naughty sisters grim will be trialling :- " they went from the traps for the 1st time last week, they are 8 months old now (w00t) you will also meet their sister poppy and possible brother kahn might be there also :huggles:

my names julie, and i drive a white van, il be the one in a tangle with the leads :b

if you want my mobile number in case you get lost then just let me know :thumbsup:

Lol. That sounds like a proper family outing! (w00t) Can you PM me your number just in case I have a blonde moment and can't find it please? :D

Thanks,

Vicky

x

im in didcot, so not far, might just come along to watch :thumbsup:

hely said:
im in didcot, so not far, might just come along to watch :thumbsup:
you will love it hely,and why not let gypsy have a trial,im sure she would love a chase of the lure :thumbsup:

Back