The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Overweight dog

My cats live on Harringtons full time. Not only is it less expensive than most of the premium food brands but it's also nutritionally comparable with far fewer things that the animals don't actually need and it's also manufactured quite close to me so it's not having to be shipped in from somewhere remote within its purchase cost.

Thanks guys! I feel a lot happier now. Will try your suggestions. My friend was at the vet with her dog the other day about a different matter and the vet suggested she take him to the "overweight dog clinic", and get advice about diet and exercise, but she wants to try the reduction in food first. Watch this space! and thanks again.

Good Luck.

It's very sweet of you to put yourself out to help this little dog.

Susan x

I would leave him on two meals as this is what he is used to. Cut the total tinned food content for the day equally between those two meals. I would stop the gravy bones and dentastix. If you want to feed treats something healthy like a piece of raw vegetable or fruit or try something like a small piece of dried fish skins.

Equally, it is important to increase the walking gradually.

I make fingernail sized treats from tuna, in spring water but with the moisture mostly squeezed out, and baked in the oven until crisp.

Leah and Rosie love them and at least I know what's in them!

Back