The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Outdoor Runs....

gypsy would never have messed in her crate when she was a pup...ever!

however monty when he was in his crate used to cock his leg up the side and wee through the the bars....lol :lol:

Get an outside kennel with a run if thats what you want to do.

I have always kenneled mine outside yes they have a oiled filled radiator, lighting and a radio in the kennel I have the pups outside in the same manner from 7 weeks or so.

I know many in whippets who do the same.

This is a much better idea than putting them in cadges.

The dogs like been in the kennels the only difference is they might get thicker coats in winter.

I have heard they will not dirty in their own bed as well. I would say try the cage first, if you have room. We put carpet in the bottom and a quilt and partially covered with an old curtain to give them a cosy area. It might break them of the habit and then you could remove it again. A much cheaper option if it works.

Having had a dog with kidney disease, I remember the smell of pee. Obviously then we wouldn't cage him, but I used the bio washing powder/warm water to clean afterwards.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sharon

i have just moved and one of the ings we agreed on was to get an outside run...

We have a cage 1.5 x 2.0 and a shed at the other end which we have cut a hole in so they can come and go (in and out) the run bit has a roof and the shed is filled with straw, so its nice and snuggly.. :huggles:

During the summer it wont be so bad, but will install heating during the winter. it is only for day time, not night.

We thought if we had BBQs then they could be in the run so they are outside with us but not getting into trouble by the hot BBQ

And when they are running round the garden free they poo in the grass which isnt nice for the kids, so while they are in the run at least its in one place

AND it is not a subsutute for long walks, which they get as well.

I will post some pictures if anyones interested :thumbsup:

Kim and Tilly said:
We have a cage 1.5 x 2.0 and a shed at the other end which we have cut a hole in so they can come and go (in and out) the run bit has a roof and the shed is filled with straw, so its nice and snuggly.. :huggles:

During the summer it wont be so bad, but will install heating during the winter. it is only for day time, not night.

We thought if we had BBQs then they could be in the run so they are outside with us but not getting into trouble by the hot BBQ

And when they are running round the garden free they poo in the grass which isnt nice for the kids, so while they are in the run at least its in one place

i am :thumbsup:

~whitecross whippets~ said:
Kim and Tilly said:

i am :thumbsup:

best get my camera out then....

Just got to paint the inside and put the run roof on and i will take some pictures :thumbsup:

Thanks again for replies. Yes, would like to see ya pics kim&Tilly :thumbsup:

They were all crated as pups and were housetrained fully untill OH and i spilt for a while and they were left longer than should of been inside really...now they've seemed of 'learnt' its ok to pee in house!! its not when they are in with us - just when out and overnite, its like they cant be bothered to hold themselves. :angry:

I understand the comments on crating them again but its not really feassible now for them all because havent got enough cages or room for them all and especially the EBT now he is adult and i dont think he'd take to being shut in a crate again.

I think i'm going to look into the outside run idea, as i think it would be quite nice for them after reading the posts on heating, qulits, radios, etc! :huggles:

My only main worry is that when they are in the house with us they will think they can toilet in the house even when we are there as they will be used to going when they like when they are out, so wont be able to difference between the two :unsure:

Tanya Docwra said:
my whip was outdoor bred and i have a wooden and brick run with raised sleeping area with heat lamp over 1 sleeping deck with carpet underneath , foam bed and duvet , 2nd deck has carpet and convection heater to side for extra warmth, you must make sure it is draught free, i also have 2 igs that are quite happy with this arrangement , thay all have time indoors but that is their area. it is warm in winter and cool in summer, easily keep clean too. This is not everyones ideal but we all have our own opinions. if you wish for photos of the contruction pm me and ill be happy to help  :thumbsup:
Forget me taking the couch when Im down there Tanya...I\'ll sleep in the kennels with the dogs lmao

Lisa , mine are in the kennel/ run for nights and whilst im away from home , but I can assure you that they NEVER wee in the house :huggles: Ok maybe Montee might scent mark when one of the girls is in season,,,,,, occasionally :oops: but the girls and woody,, never :sweating:

Here is a photo of my kennels. They are divided into 3 seperate kennel's and run's.

111D.jpg

Another one, with a very young Tam (w00t)

2ndAprilA.jpg

a cant comment my wee dog sleeps in my bed!lol! good luck with yours :luck:

Susan said:
Here is a photo of my kennels. They are divided into 3 seperate kennel's and run's.
111D.jpg

Another one, with a very young Tam  (w00t)

2ndAprilA.jpg

Your kennel and run looks brilliant Susan, :thumbsup: Ive threatened my two with one of those if any more cushion pads end up inside out (w00t) (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
We had to extend the run base a bit what hoping it would be dry and i could put it all back in plca efor pictures today...but it rained last night.. :(

Basically we looked at the run above but decided that because it was mostly wood that over time in would rot away, and then you would have to buy a new one

So we went for metail run area and a shed, which isnt such a high cost to replace...

I will post soon promise

:thumbsup: Sounds good ... look forward to pics Kim & tilly.

Looks lovely- lucky Bean and Tilly :D

I know its not perfect, or beautiful looking, but at least they can move about and have a wee when im at work

Back