The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Out Of Control Dog

~Helen~

Warrior Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've just been bitten on the hand - small puncture but blinkin' painful! I had Josie on the lead (following on from another thread, and not allowing her to control our walk by running off after deer in the danger spots) when another bitch just ran up from nowhere and attacked her. We've had a couple of run ins with this bitch before, its owner is an airy-fairy sort who always seems to be miles away from his dog, daydreaming as he saunters along. This time, he just sauntered up as if nothing was going on, even though the bitch was going hammer and tongs at Josie, I was trying to grab the bitch's collar and yank her off and at the same time yelling at him to hurry up and get a lead his dog please. That's when a tooth caught me, could have been Josie's or this bitch's :(

Anyway, he wandered up at his leisure, put her on a long lead so that she was still jumping and freaking out, and then proceeded to tell me that the situation was my fault because his dog doesn't like dogs on leads :blink:

Luckily I was with a very plain-speaking friend who told him firmly that it was up to him to control his dog, and that sometimes other dogs had to be on leads (gave him a list of reasons ie illness, season, training issues etc) at which he was then a bit sheepish. But he still let his bitch have a long lead so that she could continue to have a go at Josie who was trying to hide behind my leg.

He said he'd been to training sessions but that they didn't work :wacko: :angry: He lives in our village, so it's not going to be the last time this happens. He's got small children too. Imagine if they got in the middle of a scrap she was having :( To be fair, he did listen when my friend was saying that he needed to gain control over his dog, and I think he probably really wants to be helped, but just doesn't know how to go about it (that's why he does the sauntering thing, reluctant to get in and take control, just hopes it'll all be over by the time he gets on the scene).

There. Rant over. Have put tea tree oil on my sore hand and am determined to look out for this person and walk away if we see him coming. Trouble is, his dog is kind of free range :( and she'd probably just chase us if we changed direction.

(w00t) :rant: if his dog doesn't like dogs on leads then his should be on one at all times, what a silly silly man :angry:

Hope your hand feels better soon Helen :huggles: , is Josie ok?

~Helen~ said:
I've just been bitten on the hand - small puncture but blinkin' painful! I had Josie on the lead (following on from another thread, and not allowing her to control our walk by running off after deer in the danger spots) when another bitch just ran up from nowhere and attacked her. We've had a couple of run ins with this bitch before, its owner is an airy-fairy sort who always seems to be miles away from his dog, daydreaming as he saunters along. This time, he just sauntered up as if nothing was going on, even though the bitch was going hammer and tongs at Josie, I was trying to grab the bitch's collar and yank her off and at the same time yelling at him to hurry up and get a lead his dog please. That's when a tooth caught me, could have been Josie's or this bitch's :( Anyway, he wandered up at his leisure, put her on a long lead so that she was still jumping and freaking out, and then proceeded to tell me that the situation was my fault because his dog doesn't like dogs on leads :blink:

Luckily I was with a very plain-speaking friend who told him firmly that it was up to him to control his dog, and that sometimes other dogs had to be on leads (gave him a list of reasons ie illness, season, training issues etc) at which he was then a bit sheepish. But he still let his bitch have a long lead so that she could continue to have a go at Josie who was trying to hide behind my leg.

He said he'd been to training sessions but that they didn't work  :wacko: :angry: He lives in our village, so it's not going to be the last time this happens. He's got small children too. Imagine if they got in the middle of a scrap she was having :( To be fair, he did listen when my friend was saying that he needed to gain control over his dog, and I think he probably really wants to be helped, but just doesn't know how to go about it (that's why he does the sauntering thing, reluctant to get in and take control, just hopes it'll all be over by the time he gets on the scene).

There. Rant over. Have put tea tree oil on my sore hand and am determined to look out for this person and walk away if we see him coming. Trouble is, his dog is kind of free range :( and she'd probably just chase us if we changed direction.

Had to chuckle at that bit Helen! Although the incident is not funny.

It is much the same sort of problem my neighbourhood has with the man and his 2 Afghan-ish dogs. Luckily my dogs do not react to them when they are on their leads and the way I deal with them (the Afghans) now is to either carry a stick or a spare lead (luckily I know what time of day I am likely to encounter them) and when they come hurtling in I give them a good larraping before they can touch my Whips. I don't like having to do it but they are now more scared of me so they tend not come near my dogs but they attack everyone else's! Their owner seems to think it is a hoot and tells people they are not that bad really and are only 'playing' ............ yeah right. It also amuses him when he sees me ready for them and doesn't seem to mind at all that I hit them!!!! Strange man!

The other morning I had to pass them when he was attempting to put them on their leads but they just rush away from him, barking like mad. Once I had fended them off and he had collected them again he comments (mainly to himself) "I don't know what I am going to do with them" at which point I shouted at him "I can tell you what to f***ing well do with them, keep them muzzled and on the lead!" But it falls on deaf ears. I have complained to the Dog Warden so many times about him and the state of the dogs that I am sick of it BUT he used to be very foul mouthed and abusive to them and everyone else which seems to have stopped so I am just thankful for small mercies now!!!

thats awfull...so many dog owners are so irresponsible!

I always carry little hair spray on my walks in case of any attack...have not used it yet, but sure would help to scare aggressive dog away...(could be quite useful in case of human attack as well...)

Just little tip - maybe useful?

I have a stick which I take when I'm going on one of my walks and I swear that one day I'll hit the woman with the brown and white border collie with it!!!!

Jenny

That's awful Helen. :huggles:

It wont have helped Josie either :(

His attitude was unacceptable - any reasonable person would have been mortified and apologetic. I wonder why the training didnt work....a bad workman blaming his tools perhaps.

My dog reacts like this owners bitch to dogs on or off leads so we keep him ON a lead (unless we're in the fields where I can see any other dogs coming). We go to training lessons too and one of the main things they have said is to not over react when he has one of his funny turns, which may explain his sauntering, however this only applies if you have control over the dog ie. if he is on his lead!!!

So therefore, I would think that anyone with half a brain would keep there dog on a lead if it reacted like this. Obviously this man does not have a brain or is not using it correctly :teehee:

On the odd occasion when my dog has run over to a dog and started his ridiculous howling and snapping :( I have not sauntered over, I have run over and apologised profusely to the other owner. And walked off feeling extremely embarrassed that I can't control my dog :b

Having a dog that reacts in this way is extremely frustrating. The training probably didn't work because he didn't stick at it long enough, was inconsistent with his commands or wasn't patient enough. You just have to look at rescue dogs to see that almost any problem can be rectified if enough time is spent on the dog.

Sorry to waffle on but its a subject quite close to my heart. On a brighter note Lenny can now walk past a dog on the opposite side of the road without even a muffled bark :D unless if its a staffie cos he doesn't like them, I think its because they tend to stare at him :lol: oh yeah, and he got chased by two once :wacko:

I think I might make it a little project to befriend this chap and drip-feed him with advice and recommendations about books :- " We're going to a village party on Saturday, so maybe I'll see him there and start Phase One :lol: :clown:

Sore hand update: haven't had a tetanus jab for years so I rang the surgery to see if that was okay... and I've just come back from having a booster. Ouch. Sore hand and a needle in the arm :b

Why do some owners act like this, sounds like hes away with the fairies, making little of what is happening, it's lucky Josie didn't get bitten. I think some people do this in the hope you yourself will make light of the situation too.

Same thing happened to me where 4 big menacing labs were very interested to say the least in getting too close to my 2. Again owners unhurried in getting control over their dogs, with the usual remark of "it's ok there friendly." Yeah right. The labs didn't look at all friendly to me , hackles raised and tails erect.I felt so lucky that a fight didn't break out that day ,and we were able to get away from these dogs unscathed.

Hope you have some joy in giving this man some advice.

Sorry about your hand, hope it heals well. I had a tetanus a few years ago and my whole arm ached really bad for a couple of days after.

:luck:

mazza said:
Why do some owners act like this, sounds like hes away with the fairies, making little of what is happening, it's lucky Josie didn't get bitten. I think some people do this in the hope you yourself will make light of the situation too.Same thing happened to me where 4 big menacing labs were very interested to say the least in getting too close to my 2. Again owners unhurried in getting control over their dogs, with the usual remark of "it's ok there friendly." Yeah right.  The labs didn't look at all friendly to me , hackles raised and tails erect.I felt so lucky that a fight didn't break out that day ,and we were able to get away from these dogs unscathed.

Hope you have some joy in giving this man some advice.

Sorry about your hand, hope it heals well. I had a tetanus a few years ago and my whole arm ached really bad for a couple of days after.

:luck:

My friend was out this morning walking two of her whippets, both on leads around our local park. A Yorkshire Terrier came thundering up, barking and trying to bite her whippies. She shouted at the guy to get his dog off but to no avail. He seemed to find it amusing. Until that is she slipped the leash of one of the dogs and it bowled the yorkie over and over until it eventually submitted defeat! He then put his dog on a lead and walked off sheepishly. No apology, but I think it gave him something to think about! When will people learn? :angry:

quintessence said:
I have a stick which I take when I'm going on one of my walks and I swear that one day I'll hit the woman with the brown and white border collie with it!!!! 
Jenny

Im supposed to take mine too Jenn :( y.

Keep forgetting and having a dog in each hand now dosnt help much.

After Chip was attacked in 2000 by a staffy, I swore I was always going to carry a stick for this reason.

Sorry about your hand Helen.

and to silly irresponsive dog owners :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
Humans...and what they say!

I can feel my hackles standing up!

I keep my lurcher on the lead.....hes ok unless another dog is off the lead and starting to make its way towards us...then he gets frustrated.

Just yesterday a dog was circling us...mine was getting really gobby...the other owner called their dog who took no notice...she then said I had my hands full! :angry:

Have let my whips off after a few confrontations with one particular woman who

laughed at her two dogs taunting my 3....Her dogs ran screaming :oops:

I'm not perfect...but try so hard to be responsible.......

(w00t) love the bit about the afghans matted hair....I too carry a small hairspray to squirt in dog/attackers eyes, can't be done for carrying a lethal weapon, but whether it would stop one of the more aggressive dog types once they've got a grip, I don't know, so I've decided to carry a 'hairdressing pack' with me which would include pointy hair scissors as I'm on my way to do a friends hair cut :- "

OH was walking along main street in local town the other Sat with our male whippet, who was behaving well. As they walked past a man with two Spaniels one of the Spaniels walked up to OH and bit him on the leg! A tetinis jab later he still couldn't believe what had happened.

This keeps happening to use in the park with a black lab +.

The owner is a child minder, with 2 tinyies.

If you go anywhere nere the park will she is off lead then she will run at the gate, with her lips cruled,snerling at you.

:angry:

In the past if had zeb off lead in she has came in with her and taken the lead stright off. :angry: You just see a black dog with teeth beared at you. :(

At 1 point my oh thought that she was not that bad until this year on hound day at crufts when he took Zeb to the park. She run straight up to Zeb and bit him. Luckily she bit his old coat :- " Zeb for the frist time did attack back :b .

But i will never take him in there with he again. :b

She also lives down the street i have to walk down to get to the park and she has ran out of the house to get him, i have had to kick her off because i'v had a dog, water bottle, book bag and 2 kids with me. :(

Why take a dangous dog into the park and take off the lead :angry:

William was attacked this morning by a staffy it was ok just folowing usuntil the woman eventually got to us and went to catch it. As she did it leaped forward for William's throat thank god he must have sensed what it was going to do as at the same time Wiliam jump forward out of its reach and I pulled him of his front feet so if it did get him it would be his back end not his throat

After reading some of the horific reports of dog on dog attacks on here I realise just how lucky we were. This dog was walking on gardens alongside a busy main roadso iI could not eve have released Wiliam and let him use his speed to escape as you could garentee if they ran on the road he would be the one that got hit

When we got home I was shaking and just sat for a while cuddling William and trying not to think what could have happened

sharron said:
She also lives down the street i have to walk down to get to the park and she has ran out of the house to get him, i have had to kick her off...Why take a dangous dog into the park and take off the lead :angry:

I don't know; some people seem to live in a special cuckooland where they think that their dog is nice, and it's always other people's nasty dogs that cause the problem. They are incapable of reading their dog's mind and seeing what is going on. There used to be a woman with a muzzled boxer who once had a rant to me about how nasty the mild-mannered Henry (an elderly whippet) was. I didn't ask why HER dog was muzzled :- "

There also seems to be a growing tendency to leave dogs in the front garden; I've seen a lot of it here, esp. while the weather was hot. You walk along the pavement and suddenly there is a roaring noise as a dog the other side of the fence leaps into action to defend it's territory (invariably labs or retrievers hereabouts). If the a gate has the misfortune to be open, then the only thing there to break the onslaught is you and your dog.

I wish people wouldn't do this; it just reinforces the dogs' frustration/sense of territory, and their confidence as they think their behaviour is genuinely deterring intruders. Pavements in residential areas can be very dangerous places to walk dogs, as loose dogs will be territorial about their frontage, and possibly quite a wide area around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back