The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

open dates for 2002

kipper fluke

Registered
Reaction score
is it possible to have the dates of opens etc ,on this site and list of tracks as not every person gets the whippet news.Also it might encourage people to have a look if there is a track near them and generate and bit more interest in this site and whippet racing in general.

The Scottish dates are

March 10th or 24th

Rch The Gripper Open TT Point

venue at Ayr

23rd June Scottish Champs

venue at Kirkcaldy

Scottish Derby

venue Kirkcaldy

27th and 28th July

Another top ten open is to be held but dont know the dates.

i think it would be a very good iea steve,maybe  the regions reporters could add their reports to the site also,

it would be a good idea if the independent put there opens up to so people can check venues before hand there is also a news letter been released of fore coming events and some things for the kids to do anyone wanting one should ask john on k9

what do you think the editors of whippet news would think of this topic,do you think they would agree with us useing their info on the site.

Neil this thread was not suggested as a retrograde step rather the opposite, not all the people using this site know or possibly have ever even heard of the whippet news let alone read it. Most children now have access to computers at school which is how my daughter Laura found this site.  Some families on very low incomes can't afford subcriptions to the whippet news and i thought that the likes of Harry going on line at school especially with his mates watching over his shoulder might create a little more interest in a sport that desperately needs some! That was why i suggested it and not to upset anyone at the whippet news.Maybe they should be on line themselves as most forward thinking organizations  already are. This cannot be a bad thing surely.

maybe some of the reporters do view this site, if so why dont they join in, would be good to hear results from opens that we dont attend, as most of us have no idea what dogs have been running well until we get whippet news,ie if weve got injured dogs were not going to travel here and there just to find out whats been doing well.so steve i think its a brilliant idea.

Hi Neil, we tend to post open results that we've been to and kept our programme up to date, as soon as we can, also we report from a racers point of view not an organisers point of view, so you get to hear what went wrong/what should be changed etc

-----

Vicky

I spoke to Chris Cornish (editor of WN) about this site a couple of years ago and she did not view it as a rival at all, in fact she liked the idea.

I am sure we all still get Whippet News. I know Nigel and I still do :biggrin: Actually this site has probably helped increase the circulation of WN as several times there have been posts asking for details on how to subscribe.

I agree with Judy as increasing awareness can only increase sales. Whippet news is also hard copy - most of the information here will be lost in a short period of time (relative to a 20 year old WN )

Where this site can be more useful is by being more current with regard to cancellations, change of venue etc and I hope anyone with such info shares it with us be they officials of the organizations or just early on the grapevine - we find out nothing in the NW.

i dont know if bwra or nwrf have used askern greyhound stadium before,but i was told at the begining of last year they were willing to let whippet racers use the track for opens.

The fed used to use askern about 4/5 yrs ago, but it was never a good turn out there, so I think that due to poor lack of turnout opens were cancelled(and those were the days when MORE people were bend racing):sad:

I think a big part of the poor turn out at Askern was that they used to run the whippets from the shoot, imagine running from where the video camera is at kinsley and the dogs would run straight into the bend.  The racing was always good mind!!!!

if i remember corectly henlow isnt much different

Can anyone tell me what has happened to the Scottish Derby dates?Why is there only Fordingbridge/Verwood advertised on the 27th-28th of July is it just a mistake on the part of the whippet news,or is there another reason?Its a good job  someone put them on this site ,so those planning a trip to Scotland can arrange there holidays to suit, the people who subscribe to the W/N are not as privlaged to such information to date,as far as i am aware.Keep up the good work K9.This last verse is for Neil what do you think the editors of the W/N would say about this?

Steve dont know why the dates are not in this months whippet news Arther sent them away ages ago. The Scottish Dreby is on 27 and 28 July. I know the dates are moved forward one week but the Scottish Region wanted the Derby back on the weekend it was previousally held. We got feed back last year the the racers north of the border wanted that as the schools go on holiday at that time. Hope this helps

hi steve your right again ;) ,as one member says there,s the gripper bend open at ayr, which some of us didn't know about

can you tell me what sort of track ayr is.

The ayr track is a cracker its a pity the ones in England are not nearly as good its clean tidy good food good beer good company and lots more it would be criminal to loose it because of poor support as there were only about 6 dogs from England there last year and three of those were mine well worth the trip and if i am not mistaken you can even camp i think i have not been to a better track only years ago when Bolton was in its hay day and it does not matter who you are you will be made welcome i might even buy you a pint when kipper beats wonderwall. steve

hi steve is it inside or outside,naz say's he'l let kipper win

if you buy him a pint as well   :p .

At Ayr it is an inside hare we dont have any tracks that let whippets run on with an outside hare in Scotland

Back