The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

One Whippet Vs Two

When I got my first whippet the breeder told me "whippets are very collectible" and in the space of 2 years I now have 3, with maybe a fourth later on!!!!! Because I'm used to them I don't think they are hard work but have just had a weeks holiday and left them with my parents and they are now totally exhausted but thought they were great fun. :)

urchin said:
i have never found much difference in work between 1 dog and 2 providing they get on wellthey do keep each other company, and are much better at wearing each other out in the park than i am!

a good friend of mine, whose mum bred springers reckoned that once you'd got 3, you may as well have 8 though (w00t) .... so if you do decide to increase your pack, be warned!

i think whippets follow the oldest form of counting known to man: ONE, TWO, MANY lol!

This was my experience as well. Going from 1-2 was no big deal. In fact in some ways it made things easier because they entertained each other. Going from 2-3 was a bit more difficult.

But then I'd always had 2 dogs when growing up so having 1 for 3 years was what was different to me.

I'd say go for it!

Wendy

I had one, once :- "

Well a very whippety lurcher actually. I wanted a black whippet, but they seemed rather hard to find. So we got our little lurcher Tess.

But she was lonely and cried when I went out, so a second one (a rescue lurcher)arrived.

Then a hairy cousin was miserable :( and starving herself, so we couldn't say no :huggles: .

Then I finally got the whippet I had wanted in the first place :p .

And all that in less than 3 years :wacko: .

From my experience, one was lonely, two was perfect, three was hard work and four, well to be honest not much worse than three. But our situation is a bit difficult as the two rescues either get on wonderfully or fight horribly.

Thanks everyone.

I think I know what to do now. I'll just ignore the posts that say that two whippets is hard work :- " and only take notice of the ones that say that two is just the perfect number :D

tantadruj said:
Thanks everyone.I think I know what to do now. I'll just ignore the posts that say that two whippets is hard work  :- "  and only take notice of the ones that say that two is just the perfect number  :D

To be totally honest with you i wish sometimes i had stuck at just one...... :- "

Tilly came to us in may 05 and in jan 06 we got bean, they are so different Tilly is quiet, bean is loud and together they can be very hard work...

The feeding isnt a problem, they eat from the same bowl few more biscuts etc...

The problem i think is tilly is 16 months and bean 8 months so they have this 'im top dog' thing going on, play fighting is constant...walking can be a nightmare

Tilly was lovely and calm, and would just wander round after you and sit cuddled up, but bean is always trying to push in...so tilly gets pushed out..

I think in a few months, (maybe 4) things will settle down again, (hopefully after beans first season)

Think carefully cause it may not be an easy ride.......but then again it may...

i think find out what the parents are like, so you get an idea if you are getting a bouncey pup or more quiet to suit your other one...

(this is my opinion only, as i know only what i have done)

Back