The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

One Whippet Vs Two

tantadruj

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How do you feel about having one whippet vs two? I have one already, and I'm starting to feel an urge to add another one to the family. I am a bit worried it might be double the work, worries and mess, but my OH thinks they'll keep each other busy and actually let us have some time to ourselves. What's your experience?

Ive always just had one dog (until last year) got Oscar at the age of 14 weeks from a Breeder on K9 and when he was 8 months old decided after much debating to have another whippet. Ive never regretted it - and they both get along fine ........but this isnt the case all the time. Some others on here have had trouble introducing other dogs so I would think about it very carefully and do lots of homework and check out some breeders before making that final decision.

They do keep each other company but I wouldnt say its less work - more in my opinion sometimes ..... they can be little sods too. :lol: but in my opinion worth it. o:)

Good Luck though :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
eleven years ago i bought my first whip the notorios casper, he is still going strong and has four other housemates whippets are totally addictive, :luck: good luck in your quest for number two, soon you will have a house full :thumbsup:

i had just one whippet and a boxer dog, but when i introduced a new whippet it totally changed my original boy. He adores his whippet mate and they do everything together.

from personal experience i have found a second whippet a very positive addition.

i have never found much difference in work between 1 dog and 2 providing they get on well

they do keep each other company, and are much better at wearing each other out in the park than i am!

a good friend of mine, whose mum bred springers reckoned that once you'd got 3, you may as well have 8 though (w00t) .... so if you do decide to increase your pack, be warned!

i think whippets follow the oldest form of counting known to man: ONE, TWO, MANY lol!

we recently got another whippet, mostly it was for company for our boy 14months as sometimes he seemed sad wondering about the garden on his own, :( the new pup has settled in beautifully, :D there is much more noise now,and they are truly like children as they want whatever the other has, but they romp around the garden and sleep together and generally have fun most of the time.

if they get fed up of each other they both have a private place that they can go.

Feeding is a bit tricky, as each wants to eat what the other is having and they are on two differnt diets t the moment.

it's still early days for us, but we all get the benefit of the new addition so far.

good luck

We were very lucky that Daisy chose to come and live with us, Alfie has been 100% more settled and happy. He is definately in Lurve with Daisy :wub: Although she was older when she arrived it has caused no problems for either of them( especially now Alfie knows she is in charge) (w00t) As for the extra work, picking up a couple of extra "garden parcels" is all we have had to worry about as all other things were going on for Alfie anyway.

alfie_and_daisy.JPG

tantadruj said:
Hi everyone,
How do you feel about having one whippet vs two? I have one already, and I'm starting to feel an urge to add another one to the family. I am a bit worried it might be double the work, worries and mess, but my OH thinks they'll keep each other busy and actually let us have some time to ourselves. What's your experience?

We had 1 Whippet once ........and now we have 8 with number 9 already booked (w00t) ..........Whippets thrive on company, and a Whippet or 2 or 3 etc.... will keep each other occupied for hours :D .........

Strike Whippets said:
tantadruj said:
Hi everyone,

We had 1 Whippet once ........and now we have 8 with number 9 already booked (w00t) ..........Whippets thrive on company, and a Whippet or 2 or 3 etc.... will keep each other occupied for hours :D .........

lol! like i was saying - BE WARNED!

One is DEFINITELY never enough!!! (w00t) :thumbsup:

i too must agree ,one whippet is never enough,im debating a third :- " but dont think OH would agree to another :(

I think owning one whippet is a pleasure but a bit dull, as they are such quiet, laid back dogs (as adults). Another whippet would liven things up a bit and is more fun for the singleton and the owner. There's a bit more work involved, especially whilst the second one is a pup, and one can become protective of the other on walks which can be a pain, but apart from that, I'd say two dogs are must. :D

Of course I don't have two whippets, but I do have two dogs. I'd definitely stop at two though. :- "

Welcome to K9 :cheers:

I don't think you'll get many on here who have only one, we had one for 2 days then got her sister, 8months later no 3 :lol: 8 months later again no 4 :D

Oh Oh I've just realised it's six months later already only two months to go :- " :teehee:

*Lesley* said:

I don't think you'll get many on here who have only one, we had one for 2 days then got her sister, 8months later no 3  :lol: 8 months later again no 4 :D

Oh Oh I've just realised it's six months later already only two months to go :- "  :teehee:

Ive only got one Lesley, plus my goldie, so are u saying i should get another, thing is, i hope to breed from jill, when she,s old enough, lots of research to do there though afore i go ahead

keith

tantadruj said:
Hi everyone,

Can't have too many whippets. Mine come a very close second to my family. Very close! (w00t) I cannot do enough for them. Loads of work worries and mess, lovely. :p .If you are worried about more work etc and how it might impinge on the time you have to yourselves then maybe adding to your numbers is not for you. :luck:

tantadruj said:
Hi everyone,

I can almost remember what it was like to have just one whippet.

Almost - as it is thirty odd years ago now :D

It is thirty years ago since Richard last had a solitary whippet to :D :D :cheers:

midlanderkeith said:
*Lesley* said:

I don't think you'll get many on here who have only one, we had one for 2 days then got her sister, 8months later no 3  :lol: 8 months later again no 4 :D

Oh Oh I've just realised it's six months later already only two months to go :- "  :teehee:

Ive only got one Lesley, plus my goldie, so are u saying i should get another, thing is, i hope to breed from jill, when she,s old enough, lots of research to do there though afore i go ahead

keith

Ah but you've got sally so Jill's not on her own canine wise(and she does make a good rug for jill) :lol: but I still think you'll end up with another whippy one way or another Keith :thumbsup: :D

And awww Jill babies how gorgeous would they be :wub: :wub: :wub:

Of course I don't have two whippets, but I do have two dogs. I'd definitely stop at two though. :- "

MMMMmmmmmmm, Thats what I thought too.............until number 3 arrived :- "

Not whippets, but lurchers, but still one more than there was ever supposed to be :- "

:- " 12.5 years ago I had one...... now I've got four whippets, a labrawhippet (labrador that thinks she's a whippet) and an Italian Greyhound which is a law unto itself :lol:

Definitely get another one. Whippets love other whippets and if the new one is a pup you shouldn't have any problems. Our first one was a bit snotty when the second one arrived but when you see them play together it's wonderful.

Whippets also recognise other whippets and mine are always delighted to see other whippies at shows etc...

lamping man said:
tantadruj said:
Hi everyone,

Can't have too many whippets. Mine come a very close second to my family. Very close! (w00t) I cannot do enough for them. Loads of work worries and mess, lovely. :p .If you are worried about more work etc and how it might impinge on the time you have to yourselves then maybe adding to your numbers is not for you. :luck:

Come very close second to your family, pulled at my very heart strings thit that remark, cos thats exactly how i feel about my dogs, in fact i will go one further, my dogs are my family, nowt to much trouble, now as i write this, my bitch jill is in season and likes nowt better than to give my goldies head a dam good humping, hers doin it now so orft i jolly well go to hump the randy little git off

keith :thumbsup:

Back