The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Old Dog Devon Is Very Poorly

sending some positive thoughts for mr devon from us all here x :huggles:

Well it sounds encouraging :thumbsup:

Good luck with the scan tomorrow :luck: :luck: :huggles:

Hi Alison, I hope his liver problem is treatable. :(

Elevating the food dish can really help with neck issues, though.

I hope that he continues to make some progress and is less poorly very soon! :thumbsup:

Please do let us know how the scan went today Alison,we are thinking of you and Devon and hoping for the right results! :luck: :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope everything goes well do let us know.

Ah well, it's all getting very confusing here now :blink:

Devon had his scan this afternoon, the vet said that his liver appears normal!!! :wacko: He can't tell what is happening inside it without doing a biopsy but he didn't what to go sticking a big needle in when there was no particular area that looked like he should be aiming for.

He has suggested that Devon may have mild hepitis and has prescribed a course of anti biotics to clear up anything that may be lurking about, then do the blood tests again in a week, all going well he'll be having x-rays on his neck soon after :luck:

We still don't know what's wrong with him - he is still wobbly, still has a stiff neck and is still knuckling over (mainly on his right front foot :unsure: ) and I'm sure we've still got a way to go, but at least we don't feel like we have to rush into making any serious decisions on his future just yet - and that is a HUGE relief! :sweating:

And judging by the way I was tanked out of the vets this afternoon, there is still life left in the Old Dog Devon :thumbsup: :huggles:

Here he is, being smooched in front of the fire with Nurse Zoe

4.JPG

What a big relief to hear Devon's results were good today, lets hope the course of AB's work for his liver and his neck improves:thumbsup:

that is so kind of Zoe to smooch up to him in front of a cozy fire :huggles:

georgina said:
that is so kind of Zoe to smooch up to him in front of a cozy fire :huggles:
She is such a caring soul, will put herself out for anyone in need, typical trait of all iggies :- "

I was so so pleased to hear that it wasn't as bleak as you first feared.

As you're not feeling well either - get in there and join in the whippy, iggie snuggle. :huggles:

That is very positive news :D

Go ahead and relax a bit now, you deserve it :huggles:

That is a bit more encouraging Ali- and I'm glad to hear he is feeling a bit more chipper :huggles:

Let's hope the antibiotics do the trick :luck:

Liz and the Monellis

:)

Good news on the liver Alison. As to the neck, there are so really good chiro's out there but have they thought of the chamber beyond his inner ear? There is a syndrome, I believe its vestibular or similar, which is recognised in humans but, according to my vet, is something which can be seen in dogs and they have 'stiff' necks, very wobbly walking, crying out in pain after rest and similar symptoms to a type of stroke.

anniewhippet said:
:) Good news on the liver Alison. As to the neck, there are so really good chiro's out there but have they thought of the chamber beyond his inner ear? There is a syndrome, I believe its vestibular or similar, which is recognised in humans but, according to my vet, is something which can be seen in dogs and they have 'stiff' necks, very wobbly walking, crying out in pain after rest and similar symptoms to a type of stroke.

We are more that happy to use a chiropractor if the x-rays show that it is best for Devon :thumbsup: And luckily we've at least got a bit of time to sit down and look at who is out there now :sweating:

But no, no one has mentioned that, what a brilliant suggestion - I'm off to google it now!

Thanks very much K9'ers for your help and good wishes, you do this stuff better than anyone else :D

Sending big hugs to Devon :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

anniewhippet said:
:) Good news on the liver Alison. As to the neck, there are so really good chiro's out there but have they thought of the chamber beyond his inner ear? There is a syndrome, I believe its vestibular or similar, which is recognised in humans but, according to my vet, is something which can be seen in dogs and they have 'stiff' necks, very wobbly walking, crying out in pain after rest and similar symptoms to a type of stroke.

Thats what my Mayzee had, Vestibular syndrome . She was on Vivitonin for over 4 years and recovered enough to enjoy life once again.

Good news about his liver Ali :cheers:

JAX said:
anniewhippet said:

Thats what my Mayzee had, Vestibular syndrome . She was on Vivitonin for over 4 years and recovered enough to enjoy life once again.

Good news about his liver Ali :cheers:

Canine Vestibular Disease (CVD) .... in humans it is Meniere's Disease. Vets will often 'diagnose' it to pet owners as a stroke although dogs do not suffer from strokes, per se. You will get nausea, vertigo, head tilt, rapid eye movement and symptoms can range from the very mild to catastrophic. Usual treatment is with steroids but a travel sickness remedy (such as Stugeron) will sometimes be used on humans!

Devon is very bright and chirpy this morning :D and insisted I put a bed in the garden so he could sun bath - he didn't actually lie down, it was chillier than he realised, but he enjoyed standing in it and squinting in the sun 8)

He hasn't had any pain relief for a couple of day, he still has some tension in his neck but doesn't seem to have any pain there now - but he didn't have pain there initially, just the wobbles and holding his neck funny, so we think that he may of had a bump of one of the other dogs (Monty or an iggie? :unsure: ) which caused the pain for a few days, he has always been a bit sensitive to knocks and strains around his neck area.

So we are back to the wobbles and the knuckling over as our main worry again now.

Many thanks for all the info/suggestions :thumbsup:

Glad to read that the old chap is a lot brighter today. Long may continue to improve.

Gill xx

So glad to hear that the scan showed up a normal liver,at least that is one problem that you don't have to worry about.

I hope that your vet gets to the bottom of the other trouble and that Devon gets back to normal very soon...mind you it sounds like he has decided he is fine & wont let this beat him!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Give him a hug from us all here.

Back