The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

NORTHERN OPENS

Mark Roberts

The Ringmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All

It is with great regret that the Committee of the Northern have had to take the decision to change our 2nd open from a bend to a straight, This decission has been taken on the grounds of safety for the dogs.

as anyone who has been up recently will know we now share our ground with a local rugby team (or about 8 to be exact all kids teams) the ground we use for our bend is just to rough and lumpy to chance running a bend on it.

We did have the whole field rolled 2 days running by our local council (our landlords) last week which left it like a bowling green, but 2 days later the bend area of the field had been churned up again by the rugby, so anywork we did to get the track ready would be quickly undone.

So as our straight track is off the rugby pitch's and in very good condition we have decided that the only option will be to run 2 Straights this year, hopfully in the future we will be able to run our bends open again but for this year at least there will not be a bend open.

The 2 Opens details are now.

1st Open 4th May ~ 170yds Straight in 5 weight groups, Vets 150yds in 2 groups (as advertised in WN April edition)

2nd Open 29th June ~ 200yds Straight in 4 weight groups (vets 150yds in 2 groups)

entry forms for the 1st open are available from me now by e/mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark

I can understand fully the reason for your decision, but what a shame as we always enjoy the northern bend and there are few enough bend opens anyway, and yours is always a good one.

Nice to see a good long straight as the alternative.

June

Hi June

Thanks for you're comments regarding the Bend open being changed to a Straight, i've recieved a lot of nice comments from racers regarding our decission.

and although most are dissapointed they all understand that it wasn't an easy decission and that it has only been taken for the safety of all the dogs.

Everyone at the club is realy dissapointed as like you say there are few enough bends at the moment. :(

I am in constant comunication with our landlords and with a bit of luck things will be back to normal for next year. :)

but we have a good straight area that is very safe to run on so although we've lost the bend we do have a good safe Straight. :)

see you at the Indi :D

[SIZE=14pt]Just A reminder to everyone that entrys close on Sunday the 27th April and I will still be accepting entrys atthe independent Open[/SIZE]

Back