The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Night toilet training?

Ellenh86

Registered
Reaction score
At my wits end, Macey my 15 week old collie pup was out for the toilet at 4.30am before my partner went to work this morning and I think was dry till then, but when I got up at 7 she had poo and weed on the floor and keeps taking the Poo in her bed! What should I do? It's every morning now! Advice badly needed! X

Double check that Macey is clean at when your partner gets up and ask whether your partner lets her out again, though at 15 weeks I would thinking your pup could hold for 2.5 hours (until 7).

After your partner leaves, is Macey crying/barking for you until you get up? My dog used to poo and wee inside the house when she was left alone (regardless of whether we were upstairs or outside) to show she wasn't happy.

Also, where does she sleep? Does Macey get free run of the room where her bed is? If you're not crate training, it may be worth looking into as dogs do not like soiling their bed. Make sure you get a crate that is big enough for her, ideally to suit an adult collie as it will make a great den for her to retreat to when she's older. Fill up part of it with a box so there's only room for a water bowl and bed.

I decided not to let poppy out at night and crate train her with the routine of going straight out for a toilet break in the morning, does she think that she is due to get up when your partner lets her out?

Back