The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Karen Eckersall

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I have recently adopted a beautiful 6yr young German Shepherd named Rosie.
She will be our 6th rescue/adopted older dog.
I’m interested to see how many people have adopted an older dog. Our oldest rescue was a pair of scrap yard dogs at 10.

Welcome and respect for taking on a rescue. Do you know anything of her history? We’ve always taken on rescued whippets. We found our first on the road when she was about six months old and went on to adopt Blue when he was four. They’ve both now gone to that pet shop in the sky but we now have Mabel who was three and a half when we adopted her. She came with one helluva lot of emotional baggage but, after a lot of patience and taking things at her pace, things have worked out well although there are still some minor issues to work out if such is possible. You can see that our adoptees aren’t ‘older dogs’ by comparison with yours. Hope it all goes well with Rosie. Keep us up to date with her progress.

We have taken older dogs both were 13 who were end of life dogs so they wouldn't die in kennels ....bella a border terrier X Jack Russell who was in kidney failure...she had 6 months with us ....
Tizzy was a Jack Russell who had cushings disease and kidney disease she had 8 mths with us and a holiday in wales ....both very special girls ....I would do it again later on ....hubby found it heartbreaking :(
Look forward to updates on your lovely girl ;)

Hi and welcome:) Lovely to hear of the oldies being adopted.
Over the years I've adopted a 6 year old lab/collie cross and two yorkies(not at the same time)who were both 12years old when I brought them home. They both had 2 good years with me each, both broke my heart intensely but would do it again in a heartbeat...

Welcome and respect for taking on a rescue. Do you know anything of her history? We’ve always taken on rescued whippets. We found our first on the road when she was about six months old and went on to adopt Blue when he was four. They’ve both now gone to that pet shop in the sky but we now have Mabel who was three and a half when we adopted her. She came with one helluva lot of emotional baggage but, after a lot of patience and taking things at her pace, things have worked out well although there are still some minor issues to work out if such is possible. You can see that our adoptees aren’t ‘older dogs’ by comparison with yours. Hope it all goes well with Rosie. Keep us up to date with her progress.

Hi.
Thank you so much for your kind words & welcome’s very much appreciated.
It is brilliant to hear of your older doggy adoptions ❤️
Little about Rosie, she’s beautiful & very definitely my girl… she was from a back yard breeder she obviously had stopped producing puppies. We quickly realised Rosie had never been on a lead , in a car, in a house the only thing she knew was a kennel & run.. Thankfully she decided to trust me, ( such a blessing) we did a complete 2 week shutdown, no visitors no walks just us getting to know each other & her new world. Week 3 we can walk to heel we can freeze on wait command we are happy to have a lead on.. She is a truly fantastic dog at this rate she will be running the country by week 6. It’s all Rosie she loves to learn, she’s twitchy with tractors but so am I.. we are looking forward to seeing everyone else’s stories.

Back