The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

New potential dog owner. which dog and where to get it?

adrianf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

with no experience at all I am really just looking for advice.

We've never owned a dog before.

We are currently looking for a family dog.

We are a family with two kids 5 and 7.

We live on the outskirts of Aberdeen city in a fairly large 4 bed semi with a garden that is approx 30M x 12M with plenty of parks and good walking areas near by.

I work full time but my wife is a full time mum so is home most of the day.

We have have done a bit of research and have come to 2 breeds.

I would like a boxer but my wife a Lab and a fox red one at that.

In the month or so that we have been keeping a look out for a dog I have seen neither a boxer or a fox red Lab for sale.

Is it likely I will have to travel to find one?

I am travelling to surrey next week but don't even know if looking for a dog down there and travelling home with a puppy in the back of the 4 x 4 is appropriate.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Adrian

a lab is perfect for a family, other people will differ on this but if your hoover breaks down the lab is still there picking up the crumbs hahaha also most dogs trained well will live happy in a family, best of luck in your search.. L.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having had a dog before isn't a problem as long as you understand what you're taking on. A lot of dogs end up in rescue centers because people choose a breed with needs they can't meet so choosing the right breed for your family is important.

Boxers are lovely Happy, bouncy and lovable, even if they do drool! But I personally would prefer a Labrador as they're easier to train and may have lower energy levels. That and they're just amazing.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a pup. Don't buy from a pet store as they're often bred in horrible conditions without any thought to health or temperament. Look online for advice on how to find a good breeder. All breeds are prone to certain health problems but good breeding reduces the risks. A good breeder will provide support, a wealth of knowledge and have bred for the best health and temperament possible. They will also have begun socializing the pup which is very important, e.g. already introduced them to children or typical household noises like the hoover.

If you're undecided

Whoops If you're not sure which breed, why not visit breeders of both?

And yes, you may have to travel to find the right pup but it will be worth it! Good luck.

I have decided on a lab , preferably Fox red or chocolate. Now I just have to find one. I'm on my travels from Aberdeen to Woking and back this week so am hoping a suitable well bred puppy may come up.

I believe what you are referring to as a 'fox red' lab is actually a golden retriever. Labs only come in chocolate, yellow and black. Golden retrievers come in shades from almost white yellow to deep reddy golden.

I would say as a first time owner I would go for a lab type over a boxer. Boxers are hard work. They're great dogs, but not best for first time dog owners.

Make sure to go through a reputable breeder that has done all relevant health checks for the breed. You can start by looking on the kennel club page for registered breeders and puppies. It's best to avoid sites like gum tree and pre-loved or the newspapers when buying a pup. You may spend more up front when buying from a reputable breeder, but that is often saved with having a generally healthier dog overall. Many who buy a 'cheap' pup find that their vet bills for unforeseen health issues cost them more.

Best of luck

Wendy

Did you find a lab puppy? And the kennel club is a good way to get a good breeder :)

Back