The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

new mum

Glad it's all going well. Out of interest did you publish her hip scores? What did she score at?

@Violet Turner i understand you are googling and sending links but i trust 3 vets. Never diagnose via the internet. I work in the NHS also and this is the worst possible thing you can do. My bitch is healthy, she has no discharge, no foul smell, and she definitely isn't lethargic. Her stomach is very palpable and i feel much better now after seeing the vet. You can find all sorts of stuff out on the internet but for my breed of dog this isn't something that concerns him. But again like i said he COULDN'T feel any retained placentas in there at all.

I know you want to believe some vets, this is understandable. I whelped a litter of 4 puppies at the beginning of January. My bitch had all 4 puppies but the last placenta was stuck inside of her. So we made an emergency trip to the vets and they gave her an injection of oxytocin to help her muscles contract. Finally she was able to push it out.
at first the vet had a feel of her stomach and didn't know what it was, but he then did an ultrasound and also an x-ray to determine if it was a placenta. The vet told us to be careful when leaving her alone with them. Me and my family never left them out of sight. I understand that you have a camera but i would recommend asking for a few days off work just to keep your eyes on them...
Do you have a thermometer? If so please take her temperature her normal temp should be 37.5 - 38.5 centigrade.
Also have the puppies got a warm room of witch the whelping box is in?
Here is a link to a website I found most valuable for post-whelping ~ Week by Week From Birth to Weaning - ROYAL CANIN®
I really hope this helps - Violet

Hi Violet. yes i have a thermometer and her temp is normal. Puppies and mum is in little bedroom with whelping box and its nice and warm in there also for them. Room temp set at 23 degrees. Puppies all warm and sleeping and eating with very little crying in between. They look very happy and comfortable. I never left her side for the first 3 days just to make sure she was finding her feet and managing. She has food and water in the room also and i go home on a lunch time to let her out and check on the puppies. The experienced breeder i have been speaking to said if i interfere too much then she will reply on me to do it for her, and when dogs in the wild have puppies they have no one there to help along and it makes them better mothers.

thanks for everyones help :)

dogs in the wild have puppies they have no one there to help along and it makes them better mothers
Sorry to be such a cynic but in third world countries mothers give birth to babies and go straight back to working in the field. It would be unthinkable if we suggested that in this country and that's why our survival rates are so much higher. But you have made your choices, good luck.

i am only going off what i have been advised to do @JoanneF you dont need to make me feel so awful. This forum is for advise not to be criticized. Do you think if i thought for 1 second my dog was in any danger or i wasn't getting proper treatment she needed that i would leave her??? i asked for advice on why she was acting the way she was, not a lesson and a guilt trip on how to care for my dog!

Nobody can 'make' you feel guilty - if you feel guilty that's up to you. I am just saying what the responsible breeders that I know of do. And that's the thing about forums - you get a range of views and you may not like some of them.

@Violet Turner i feel as though no one is actually listening to anything i am saying. I have asked my vet as i have told you all and i have saught medical advice from the vet. I came on here to ask you all about a change in behavior in my dog, you all advised me to see the vet. I saw the vet. The vet told me everything is fine. I am going to listen to my vet's advice rather than the general public who can only advise from past experiences or things they have read. There is really nothing else to say on the matter and i am not going to spend my days debating over nothing on here.

I'm sorry you feel criticised, @Ashleigh Hunter-Smith , and can understand why. There's a saying that the only thing two dog trainers will agree on is that the third is doing it wrong, and the same may well apply to dog breeders.

Some vets are also a lot more keen to intervene than others - my vet is very hands-off and is often willing to take a 'watch and wait' stance in a situation where another would have my dog sedated, scanned and treated. And websites are almost always going to recommend the safest course, because they can't see your dog and you, and one unnecessary vet visit is better than something going horribly wrong. I know nothing about dog breeding but it's quite possible that some good vets wouldn't be overly concerned about a retained placenta if there are no symptoms and they know the dog and owner, whereas others would be whipping it out straight away.

There can easily be clashes of opinion on forums, but it is generally because we are all passionate of the welfare of the dogs. I wish you, your dog and her pups all the best :)

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath.

Everyone has different opinions and approaches. But let’s keep this thread friendly and helpful.

I believe @Ashleigh Hunter-Smith is doing the best for her female and pups. She has taken them to the vets, she has a camera set up to watch them and she doesnt really need to prove anything to us with hip scores etc.

She also took the plunge to ask for advice on a passionate dog forum which takes some guts!

Thank you @Josie and @JudyN

i really am trying my best and i would never let me little girl down. She is my baby and i really cherish her. I will always do everything i can to make sure she is safe etc but unfortunately i need to go to work. I just don't have the option not to and this is why i have taken other precautions to make sure i can see her at all times.

Thank you @Josie and @JudyN

i really am trying my best and i would never let me little girl down. She is my baby and i really cherish her. I will always do everything i can to make sure she is safe etc but unfortunately i need to go to work. I just don't have the option not to and this is why i have taken other precautions to make sure i can see her at all times.

Like @JudyN said - we are all very passionate about our dogs! and unfortunately sometimes when we discuss the things we are most passionate about it can get a tad heated. Like men and their football :emoji_face_palm:

The main thing is..... we all love dogs!

I do wonder... If 3 vets have given advice and the OP is 100% happy about it why come to us in the first place?
A change in behaviour ? that was also dismissed by the vet as nothing to worry about so what do we have to add to this fountain of knowledge?

I dont see that we can offer any advice that will be better than the 3 vets consulted so maybe we should just leave her to it as the vet suggests.

I don't really know about dogs but retained placenta stops the uterus contracting. Can be very dangerous and bleeding into the tissues and sepsis is A real risk

I do wonder... If 3 vets have given advice and the OP is 100% happy about it why come to us in the first place?
A change in behaviour ? that was also dismissed by the vet as nothing to worry about so what do we have to add to this fountain of knowledge?

I dont see that we can offer any advice that will be better than the 3 vets consulted so maybe we should just leave her to it as the vet suggests.

i came on here before i had taken her to the vets, i had spoken to the other two but didnt really register what they were seeing until my saw my vet

Back