The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

New dog owner

mark182

Registered
Reaction score
I have never owned a dog before but when my children and partner went here Bleakholt animal sanctuary, we fell in love with Mille (see attached picture) she is 3 years old. We have had our first walk with her today and loved her. We plan on adopting her after the home visit. The sanctuary think she is a staff crossed with a whippet. My children are 6 and 10. My partner has owned dogs before. We’ve been told she is hypoallergenic and just wondering if anyone has any advice? Thanks!

Millie.jpg

As it's a rescue then your got to be aware, patient, and please make sure your children aware and not to crowd the new dog as it needs to find it's feet in a strange new place, keep it leaded and train, socialice in a correct manner, it might take months,

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find "Understanding the Rescue Dog" by Carol Price it is worth reading.

Your dog may settle in with no trouble at all but lots of rescue dogs are confused at first and give their owners problems. Most people say that it takes six months to see the true character of a dog come out.

Both Staffies and Whippets are nice dogs so that is good. Both can have quite strong hunting instincts so you need to be aware to build up strong bond and teach a good recall around the house and garden before considering letting her off lead. Choose a safe area at first.

Try to find an APDT dog trainer in your area to give you help and support in the early days. They will make house calls to talk to the whole family if Millie is not ready for training classes.

Good luck with her she looks lovely.

Let your children know to let the dog come to them, act calmly with her until she settles,

if the dog comes up to them dont dive in and expect a cuddle, just give her a nice scratch behing the ear,,,,, cuddles will come in time,

your children are old enough to understand that the new family member is new and very aprehensive at first.

If your dog wants to go away from you for a bit of piece and quiet, leave her be.

Not too many toys at first, you want the attention on the family bonding for the first few weeks

You will be fine, just go slowly at first, let your dog make the first steps.

She certainly looks a lovely and alert dog,

I hope you all have a very happy life together

A www she looks lovely and well done on getting a rescue Agree with the above advice I'm sure she will settle in fine but make your children aware to take it steady and give her space at first. Also try not to have any visitors for the first week or so, just let her get used to her new family and surroundings.

Lots of love and affection... Take things slow as its a big move for her coming from a rescue center.

Back