The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

NAUGHTY but NICE.

excuseme

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a great cook, and have not made any cakes for years, (mainly because home made cakes get eaten by me too quickly):oops::rolleyes:
Just recently we have been getting a few bananas that have got too ripe to eat, so the dogs have been getting them.(if I'm not quick enough they eat the skins too!)
It seemed such a waste and I love banana cake, so I made a couple of banana cakes for us, (myself and hubby) just to use up the bananas.
Having got the "Bug" for some fresh made cakes, I decided for the first time to try making a bread pudding,(not bread and butter pudding) we had some stale bread and I thought it may be a good idea to try and make some. Oh yum. In 2 weeks I have just made my 3rd one:eek:.
They are big ones, each containing 800g, or 1.1/2 loaves, (no crusts).
We have not quiet finished the second one yet, but as our daughter is visiting tomorrow I am hoping that she may take the 3rd one back home with her.

NAUGHTY BUT NICE:rolleyes::oops:

OMG - Just couldn't do this. Banana cake sounds dreamy. OH is on a really low carb diet (there's diabetes in his family) so not a cake nor biscuit enters the house:(. The other night I had a really vivid dream about Bara Brith (it's a Welsh thing!) Was actually tasting the sultanas when I woke up. So enjoy it what I say.;)

Sounds yummy!

Number 3 was taken on Saturday, by our daughter and partner.
I suppose that means that I will have to make another one, ( not that either of us really need it :rolleyes: ). However it is very "NAUGHTY but NICE".

I have a great recipie for what we know as breakfast bread/ cake. With a mashed banana and a couple of drops of caramel flavouring it tastes like banoffe pie

I have a great recipie for what we know as breakfast bread/ cake. With a mashed banana and a couple of drops of caramel flavouring it tastes like banoffe pie

There's no point telling us about your recipe, you must share it with us now:rolleyes:;):)

As promised, ontbijtkoek or breakfast cake (literally translated) its so easy.
Ontbijtkoek Breakfast cake/loaf

Ingredients;

400gr self-rising flour

Pinch salt
1 teaspoon of the following,
Ginger
Cinnamon
Coriander ....Or 3 teaspoons mixed ground spice

100gr soft brown sugar
150gr honey
200ml milk

Method

Mix everything in a big bowl, it will be a stiff sticky dough

Pour (coax) the dough into a well-greased 2lb loaf tin and put into a pre warmed oven at 150C

It will need about 1 hour to 1,15mins until a skewer come out clean.

Turn out leave to cool, eat in slices as it is or with butter.

This is the basic. I have tried and found each of the following to work well

Replace the honey with golden syrup for a slightly caramel taste.

Or

Add 50 grams of sultanas or chocolate chips

Or

Add 50 gr of candid chopped ginger

Or

add one mashed banana and a teaspoon of caramel flavouring. For a bit of a banoffee pie flavour.

Or

add 50-gram coarse chopped nuts Or 50 gr of chopped dates

I find that covering the top with some foil for the second half of cooking prevents the top going too brown.

Oh yum!
Loads of different options and easy to make.
I will give it a go next time :rolleyes:
Thank you.;)

Well, there is also Bread and Butter pudding and summer pudding. Both made with bread and fruit. I'm sure they can't all be, YUK! :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I'm with you, JRT - soggy bread:confused: I even have to be careful buying ready-made sandwiches because if the tomato's made the bread soggy I can't eat them. I remember my grandad taking out his false teeth in the evening and having a bowl of bread & warm milk for supper. Maybe that's what put me off:D

I like soaking bread in soup:rolleyes:
I don't like wet sandwiches though!!
I don't think that I could eat bread and milk either:eek:

Well, there is also Bread and Butter pudding and summer pudding. Both made with bread and fruit. I'm sure they can't all be, YUK! :rolleyes:

Yes indeed they are all YUK i can't stand them! :eek:
Thanks for the back up @JudyN haha :D ....bread and warm milk??!! That sounds absolutely vile! *Sick emoji* lol

Back