The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

N.ireland Ireland Working Whippet Club

coatsy said:
billyboy45 said:
stormydog said:
billyboy45 said:
Martin Tucker said:
I said I was finished with the matter, but I couldn`t let this go without commenting.
You are correct Dave, run a few `Trial` days, non-competitve and give people the chance to teach their dogs to race ! This is the foundation for the future of Racing.

We school around 20 greyhounds every week and we start them off at home with handslips behind the drag and eventually progressing to the track as they learn. `Learn` is the important word and this applies to the owners as well as the dogs in the case of the Whippets/Lurchers.

These days will give you the oppertunities to try out equipment, meet and disuss new ideas and come up with a `game plan` and a agenda for the future. Do this over the coming months and I have no doubt you will organise a cracking show towards the end of the Summer, that I would be delighted to attend.

My comments, have been to try and make you all understand that a lot can be achieved with time, effort and ideas from people.

Cater for peoples needs and also the need for competitive racing is paramount . With experience at these trial meetings , you will all learn valuable lessons and experience and I have no doubt you will take these ideas on board.

I would love to contribute from a `distance` if I was required to do so, as i feel I have a lot to offer.

Regards.

Just a comment on the last 2 post's here.I think what you both have said,is spot on,and i couldn't have put it better.I would be privelaged to take part in helping with summit like this,as it's long overdue in this country.That wee field is perfect for what was attempted on Sunday,regarding the simulated.Unfortunately,one of the problem's was that the lure driver had to take on a lure that he had no experience with,and it was way faster,in fact much to fast for the whippet's.Even in the straight racing,it was 60 odd yard's in front of the dog's,when it came out of the dip,causing some dog's to lose it,and turn back.A few practice weekends would put this right,and i for one would have no difficulty making the 1 n 1/2 hour drive,to take part,and share my experience with you lot in the whippet world.That was where i started out,years ago,and still love the little whirlwind's.Might even be drawn back into getting one,if this take's off.Anyway,as ive said Robert,im a phone call away,if you ever need a lure,or whatever else i might be able to contribute.Im sure other's on here feel the same mate.There will alway's be wrinkle's on a new garment,that need ironing out.Hey,we are all still learning,if truth be told. ...Billy...

yeh i got a couple.....if youre not the line judge dont try and make a call and take pix at the same time..it doesnt work :thumbsup: leave it to the line judges or somebody with 20-20 vision 8) mr roy orbison

So happened the line judge shouted over ,what won that bloody race,cause i havent got a bloody clue.Seems Colin was the only one with that 20/20 vision then,dont it.

billy in a tight finish i called johns dog which to me the only one standing at the line was rite as my dog was with it :thumbsup:

another thing robert done wot most of us wudnt do or cud nt do was run up and down 300yrds after every race with the lure rag and tried to please everyone so come on good day :thumbsup:

He's supposed to be in training for a 1/2 marathon so it'll do him no harm. He must've run easy 5 or 6 miles that day. Keep it up Robert, I'll have a tenner on you for the dog owners 400 yd uphill sprint at the next meeting. I'll make sure I'm taking the pics for that one.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin, I dont think you are being very fair to Robert. He put on a very good show and both my husband John, me and big Anne really enjoyed the day out. The field conditions were not good because of the rain the week before. Only for wee Bill puliing all our cars out, we would probably be still stuck there. I want to thank Bill/Jim Murray and Peter Morgan for all the help in getting everybody out of the muck. Our whippets was racing in the under 23s,got nowhere,but that dident matter, it was great to get out to the shows again after the long winter and meet all the wonderful men and women again that attend and support these shows week after week in the summer. Stop moaning Martin and get into the real world of whippet racing. Robert put on a good show in the order he wanted, and I am sure put in many hours of his leasure time trying to organise it for the benefit of others. Get on yer bike and come back up North and enjoy the rest of the year at the shows. Congratulations to John Humphries on China winning the day. John you can pick them, and thanks to Robert for the show.

Margaret Mc Stay

`Stop moaning Martin and get into the real world of Whippet Racing` !

Now Margaret, I haven`t a clue who you are, but I`ve forgotten more about `proper` whippet racing that you are ever likely to know and that`s being nearly 30 years out of the game !

I cut my teeth in the mid `70`s in the pedigree racing world with the likes of the great PICKETTY WITCH, VELVET, KOKO, COUNTRY SQUIRE, BEETLE, the list goes on, all great Champions !

I was on the commitee at my track at 15 years of age, before my parents moved back to Ireland and I did the reports for the Whippet News, which I still get ! Have you a subscription ?

My comments to Robert, if you read them properly, complimented him on putting on the show and wished him all the best with future efforts. However, if people dont aire their opinions, then how can he be expected to take a look back and decide if things could perhaps be organised or run differently at future meetings.

I have no doubt that Robert will have learnt a great deal from the experience and with the passion of you all, the N.Ireland Working Whippet Club will go from strength to strength.

i have learnt alot after that frist show and racing if people dont voice there ideas good or bad nothing will ever change then a few years down the line they will say why did we not say this or that its time we took the whippet forword

milliken said:
i have learnt alot after that frist show and racing if people dont voice there ideas good or bad nothing will ever change then a few years down the line they will say why did we not say this or that its time we took the whippet forword
I'll give you a good tip, do all the racing before the showing :thumbsup: it can get to hot for the racing in the summer months after 12 noon :thumbsup:

Geoff

Back