The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

My New Puppy!!!!

Karen Turners website is a wonderful resource. You get a fair few seal's in Italian Greyhounds.

The UK saddle marked dog that I was talking about last night is hereX's Spectacular Bid

And this piece is about Lyn Griffith's dog being mated to Sharon Irelands and producing blues from a cream and a blue fawn.

Hamish & Jazz

He has subsquently gone on to do this again with a silver fawn bitch. Interesting colour cream. :thumbsup:

:oops: I think that I've cleaned up the links now.

Last edited by a moderator:
aslan said:
The nose colour bit in the standard occurs in the Head and SKull section, Lida:
"Nose black; in blue a bluish colour permitted; in livers a nose of the same colour, in whites or parti-colour a butterfly nose permissable."

Well, maybe it is because anybody who knows anything about Whippets knows that they do not carry the chocolate gene, and in the first pic she looks as if her nose is black which is also impossible as the brown (chocolate) gene dilutes ALL black pigment.
However, even if she is chocolate it does not necesarily mean she is not pure Whippet. The liver/chocolate colour is caused just by a single gene which dilutes ALL the black pigment into brown. Normally Whippets have the dominant full pigment pair of these genes but it is perfectly possible that a mutation occurs and one day there will be a chocolate puppy in litter.
Sorry if I misunderstand ... but haven't you contradicted yourself here?

Just because it is technically possible that does not mean this puppy is chocolate. In that first pic her nose looks perfectly black. I will be very interested to see more pictures of her. :)

Your pup is gorgeous,at the end of the day no matter what colour she is im sure you will love her an spoil her just the same ( even if you do not intend to spoil her when she looks at you with that unique "I love you" whippet look your heart will just melt). hope you have lots of fun with her, but be warned she will have energy to spare an keep you on your toes for a while

that last comment is what its all about, they're great as pups, but even better when u can see them run, twist and turn! seen a comment that says poetry in motion, says it all really!

"Karen Turners website is a wonderful resource. You get a fair few seal's in Italian Greyhounds."

Thanks for the kind words! I just joined this list because someone told me about a "chocolate" Whippet names Bibi. I looked at the pictures and it's really hard to tell. The darker photo does look like she might be a seal, but the lighter one looks like a blue. It is notoriously difficult, though, to get a true picture of some colors...so I wouldn't make a judgement from either photo.

The best way to get a good picture of a dog's color is to take it outside on a bright, but overcast day. That way you don't get the problem of strong sunlight fooling the camera and making the colors come out odd.

If you'd like to see what a difference it can make, check out the photos on this page: http://www.swagracing.org/rowdy.htm

This is my Rowdy, and the picture that best represents his color is the professionally taken indoor picture taken at a show. He is most DEFINITELY not the copper color of the bottom running photo!

If anyone is interested in Whippet color genetics, you can see my genetics page here: http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/d/ddoggone/Homep...s/Genetics.html

Back