The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

My New Puppy!!!!

hi ya we,re pretty new to this site after getting alfie from cursty and clive [smoochygooch].alfie is 13 weeks old on wed. and we've had him since he was 8 weeks old .he's absoloutely gorgeous and has already given us hours of fun and loving !!! forgot what terrible time wasters they are.We took him to studland beach on sunday and had lots of fun although he was absoloutely shattered when he got home.have posted some pictures although we haven't had a lot of luck posting them before.we took fireman sams advice so here goes .

DSCN1396.JPG

meglet said:
hi ya we,re pretty new to this site after getting alfie from cursty and clive [smoochygooch].alfie is 13 weeks old on wed. and we've had him since he was 8 weeks old .he's absoloutely gorgeous and has already given us hours of fun and loving !!! forgot what terrible time wasters they are.We took him to studland beach on sunday and had lots of fun although he was absoloutely shattered when he got home.have posted some pictures although we haven't had a lot of luck posting them before.we took fireman sams advice so here goes .
oops sent two pics but only one came out,anyone know how you send more than one at a time ?

DSCN1409.JPG

jnjsse said:
another pompey person with a whippet! numbers are getting up now, how come choc whippets are rare? seem to be any other colour?
Well, maybe it is because anybody who knows anything about Whippets knows that they do not carry the chocolate gene, and in the first pic she looks as if her nose is black which is also impossible as the brown (chocolate) gene dilutes ALL black pigment.

Anyway, whatever colour she is she looks like sweetie :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! :cheers:

Looking forward to more pictures of your new liitle one...

I think the first pik makes her look like a black with a white chest but that second pik to me looks a chocolate colour and her nose looks brown too? I think it'll be really interesting to see how she develops, keep us posted as we can never have too many puppy piks! :wub:

She's a lovely looking bitch pup, but if she is genuinely brown then somewhere in her recent lineage is a non pedigree whippet! sorry bu you just don't get brown whippets.

Some blacks do have a glint of chocolate about them in strong sunlight, and maybe the camera flash has done the same thing? I think you will find she grows up to be pure black, if not then I'm afraid she may not be pure whippy :blink:

Congratulations!!! She's lovely. :wub:

Look forward to seeing lots more photos.

MURPHY 1 said:
She's a lovely looking bitch pup, but if she is genuinely brown then somewhere in her recent lineage is a non pedigree whippet! sorry bu you just don't get brown whippets.Some blacks do have a glint of chocolate about them in strong sunlight, and maybe the camera flash has done the same thing? I think you will find she grows up to be pure black, if not then I'm afraid she may not be pure whippy :blink:

Some blacks definitely do have shade of fawn coming through and it becomes more apparent in some times of the year. It does not mater in Whippets.

However, even if she is chocolate it does not necesarily mean she is not pure Whippet. The liver/chocolate colour is caused just by a single gene which dilutes ALL the black pigment into brown. Normally Whippets have the dominant full pigment pair of these genes but it is perfectly possible that a mutation occurs and one day there will be a chocolate puppy in litter. The black and tan pups that do now and then pop up in Whippet litters can also be random spontanious mutation, or they can be just a recesive gene originating long way back from some terrier which was bred to Whippet.

well its the first time i've heard about that, never really thought about it! learn something new everyday day aye! thought i knew a fair bit about whips but not on a gene/cell/molecular level! :) , still whatever color, very nice pup! and a pompey one at that!

jnjsse said:
well its the first time i've heard about that, never really thought about  it! learn something new everyday day aye! thought i knew a fair bit about whips but not on a gene/cell/molecular level! :) , still whatever color, very nice pup! and a pompey one at that!
I am not sure what does "pompey" mean???

Looking forwards to seeing more photos of your new pup. Can't get enough of them. :wub:

Terry & Sheila Smith said:
If liver ped whippets don't occur why does the standard call for a brown nose on liver whippets.
My copy of The Standard (KC London 1994 F.C.I. Standard No.162) only says;

Colour - Any colour or mixture of colours.

So basicaly if some colour not previously seen does occur in a pedigreed Whippet it cannot be discriminated against. However, i am sure if a Whippet of colouring not previously known was to appear in the ring lot of people would be looking very carefully if there is any trace of it not being a pure Whippet. I do find it very interesting, I would like to know what colours were the parents, siblings, is her nose brown and if she indeed is a pedigreed Whippet.

Lida

:oops: I misread one of the posts above, I took "pompey" to mean pompous, as in being so for disputing the puppy's colour :oops: .

Last edited by a moderator:
a good dog cant be a bad colour! :) shes lovely and im sure youll love her to bits.gorgeous puppy! :wub: :thumbsup:

The nose colour bit in the standard occurs in the Head and SKull section, Lida:

"Nose black; in blue a bluish colour permitted; in livers a nose of the same colour, in whites or parti-colour a butterfly nose permissable."

Well, maybe it is because anybody who knows anything about Whippets knows that they do not carry the chocolate gene, and in the first pic she looks as if her nose is black which is also impossible as the brown (chocolate) gene dilutes ALL black pigment.
However, even if she is chocolate it does not necesarily mean she is not pure Whippet. The liver/chocolate colour is caused just by a single gene which dilutes ALL the black pigment into brown. Normally Whippets have the dominant full pigment pair of these genes but it is perfectly possible that a mutation occurs and one day there will be a chocolate puppy in litter.
Sorry if I misunderstand ... but haven't you contradicted yourself here?

is there not a colour called seal a black/brown?

Back