The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

My dog is scared of the slightest of sounds - advice needed

This is progress!

I'm glad your vets are doing all they can to help!

Let's hope it makes a difference!

:)

your vet sounds lovely. I just looked up zylkene, it looks like good stuff and there are some good reviews, there have even been a couple of conversations on here about it. It seems like it should be right up your street...

I am feeling fairly optimistic about zylkene as after only his 1st tablet we actually got a couple hours where baxter was relaxed and it takes a few days for the product to build up in the system so fingers crossed x

Did the vet explain how the medication works?

It sounds positive though which is a good thing!

I hope the tablets work :)

Hi just had a quick read, sounds like a bit of help is needed....not sure if either of these people can help.

Found them on #twiiter and seem really friendly and helpful, might be worth a contact and see if they can help...

Twitter:

@keegansknines

@NickyDogTrainer

might be worth a shot...

All the best x

Thank you very much for the links.I am def going to have a look at them x

The tablet work by increasing seratonin in the brain which should help calm him down. On day 2 and he is at times a little better but il give them a week and see how things are x

When i first got my irish staffy at 15months old. He was very timid and frightened wouldnt even eat and was very afreaid of doors and shouting especialy swearing. he was poorly treated too by previous owner but i found the best way to over come them is to try playing with them while the noises are happening and try not to hug him when he scared. I did this with my dog and i got successful results he still a bit scared of doors and wind but he calmed down because i just played football with him outside while it was windy n he loves footy.

Thanks for that advice. Il try that when the noises happen x

Hello

I run the Canine Centre and I have been a Canine behaviourist/trainer for many years and I would like to help. Unfortunately, I am not able to offer exact solutions and it will be unfair of me to do so via this forum for both you and your dog. However, I do have some basic suggestions that may help you.

1. First and foremost seek advice from your vet to eliminate any potential discomfort or pain that may causing the continued behaviour.
  2. Start a diary of when the behaviour is evident. This advice often meets with the answer of "but's it's all the time". Starting a diary will help to identify specific noises and timings that can help towards prioritising behaviour modification. When keeping the diary, be specific i.e. time of day or night, behaviour before incident, what room he is in and which way he is facing. This will all help to create a good overview of the behaviour and his environment.
  3. With the above information from the diary we can then begin to predict the behaviour and be ready to help. This is important as we need to set a time aside to help him but we need to be ready at the very beginning of the behaviour in order to change his emotional state right from the start. What you will be aiming for is to change the neurological link between the noise and his behaviour. It sounds that the link at present is a fearful one and we need to change it to a happier association.
  4. At this point you will need to some professional advice in order to change the behaviour.
I regret not being able to give further advice without seeing him. The last thing I want is for any dog to suffer more because of poor communication on my part. That said, there is only one way to help your dog to enjoy a happier life. It will mean a lot patience, commitment and appropriate amount of love at the right time from you.

I look forward to seeing a happy outcome on the forum.

Kindest regards

David Meikle

Hi David,

Thankyou for your post. I appreciate your help. The situation is complex and i do think i will need professional help now. The noises that Baxter fears are not loud and its only within our home when the neighbours make a small noise and that can be from early morning until midnight hence hes constantly listening! A car alarm went off under our window yest and he didnt flinch!!!!!! Its stemming from his time in the vets last year. Maybe we could arrange to chat?

Hi David,

Thankyou for your post. I appreciate your help. The situation is complex and i do think i will need professional help now. The noises that Baxter fears are not loud and its only within our home when the neighbours make a small noise and that can be from early morning until midnight hence hes constantly listening! A car alarm went off under our window yest and he didnt flinch!!!!!! Its stemming from his time in the vets last year. Maybe we could arrange to chat?
I would be delighted to chat about your situation when would be best to arrange for a chat? p.s I am away for Easter from Thursday

David, I have had a result!!!!!! Somebody suggested i try SCULLCAP AND VALERIAN tablets. After virtually exhausting every avenue

for Baxter I was really downhearted but low and behold these have been nothing short of a "MIRACLE"

I really appreciate your offer to chat tho very much

hi there, glad to hear you have had some success with baxter. How was the zylkene going?

I'm sorry to stick my oar in, but I have a keen interest in herbal remedies, and i thought i'd just give a bit of warning that skullcap and valerian, are both fairly strong sedatives, they knock me completley out, at a tiny dose. While they are a safe effective remedy for insomnia or anxiety about an event, I don't think that they are recomended for prolonged use, and can cause liver problems in some folk. If you are planning this as a daily remedy, i would recomend talking to your vet about it. Perhaps you could use them to give baxter some relief occassionally, if he really needs to sleep, but do take care, also take care on the variety of skullcap, avoid the chinese medicine one.

I hope you do manage to have a chat with the behaviourist man above still, he seems to have some sensible suggestions for working out baxters problems,

good luck!

Hi

That's great news and I hope you and Baxter can get on with a happier life together. I feel I must point out that medicine like this does have great results and by the sounds of it the medicine is giving him the edge to cope (I am all for herbal medicines).

However, Baxter still has a psychological problem that may return in the future. If this is the case then please contact me again and we can work with the medicine and address his psychological need at the same time.

Hopefully you will not have too contact me again and I wish you and Baxter a fun life together.

Take care

David

The Zylkene didnt have an effect whatsoever! Thanks for the advice on the long term use of this product. I will chat to the vet about that. I am using the Dorwest brand which is vet approved x

Hi David, I have never been a big believer in herbal medicine tho im inclined to change my mind now! If i need to contact you, what is the best way?

The Zylkene didnt have an effect whatsoever! Thanks for the advice on the long term use of this product. I will chat to the vet about that. I am using the Dorwest brand which is vet approved x

Hi David, I have never been a big believer in herbal medicine tho im inclined to change my mind now! If i need to contact you, what is the best way?
Hi

The best way to contact me in the future will be by email david@caninecentre.org.uk

Have a good Easter X

Thanks very much David.

I hope you have a great Easter too x

Been a bit slow on catching up with the news but sounds like a great outcome... well done to all and hope you now have a calmer and more relaxed doggie xx

Back