The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Milo Injured

jordanv

Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago my dad was exercising Milo for me when he disappeared off in a field out of view and came back eventually limping with blood pouring from his front paw. :( :( My dad had to carry him across the fields back to the car as he nearly passed out and blood was everywhere. He rushed him to the vet who managed to get him on a drip and cleaned up and stable (they were talking blood transfusion because of the amount of blood he lost). They said he was very lucky to be alive as he had cut just above his large pad and hit an artery. He has been stitched and these came out on Monday and he has been obviously off exercise for the last 3 weeks or so but he won't put any weight on that leg and limps about on 3. I am taking him back on Friday as the vet said she would have thought he would be using it by now and is talking about physio. Has anyone had anything similar happen to their dogs???

don't know about your dogs injury but when our Indy's broken her legs and been plastered up she can sometimes take time to get going again we have found bandaging her good foot for a few hours a day get her bad leg going again. but before you do it jts make sure there nothing sore and its juts a case of being scared or habit hes not using it. it normally takes about 4 or 5 days to get her going again

Our old girl molly did a similar injury when she was 6 months old,though she cut throw tendons so lost the flexing motion to walk and just nicked the atery, she had to wear a splint on her leg for a few weeks but soon used the leg after the splint was removed.

Not sure why milo isnt using the leg but hope hes soon sorted .

aww poor little feller, it sounds like he may have injured the tendons, if he hasn't + he's just being scared/reluctant, Wendy's idea of bandaging up the good foot to make him start using it sounds good.

Good luck with him.

About 17 years ago one of my gsd's did the same thing. It did take a while for him to use his leg, but he had damanged the tendons/ligaments too so his injured foot always looked a bit on the flat side. Once recovered though it didn't cause him any problems, apart from looking a bit odd. I hope your little one recovers quickly.

Back