The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Lurchers Dont Settle In Town Homes. ?

kitty

Registered
Reaction score
I went to battersea dogs home yesterday. They had a couple of lovely lurchers, and as so often there with lurchers, they had assessed them as needing a rural location.

Which means I couldnt home one.

The guy there that I spoke to said that these lurchers 'just hadnt settled in town'. He also said that they barely ever get whippets handed in. Whereas there are often lurchery types.

I wonder what you experienced people made of this. Lurchers that 'just wont settle'?

I expect the chap thinks people in towns don't or can't take their lurchers somewhere where they can run free.

I live in a town but it's a small one with downland & woods close by where they can really stretch their legs without any traffic worries.

Have a look at www.lurcher.org on Homes Wanted where there are lots of lovely Lurchers looking for homes. If you like one, ask & someone will come out and homecheck you for suitability.

I think Lurchers can live very happily in towns as long as they can have offlead exercise regularly. They do like to run :) .

I don't see the difference between a Lurcher and any of the sighthound breeds :blink: and if Battersea say that Lurchers are'nt suitable for towns,then surely according them neither are Whippets,Borzois,Saluki....etc,etc.......???

Am I just being thick here? :wacko: because loads of people who have sighthounds live in towns,so surely they (Battersea) are narrowing down the chances of homes by saying that these type of dogs can only live in country homes. :(

It is like saying that they (sighthounds) can't live with cats and rabbits............and we k9er's know that aint true :thumbsup:

Now I know that Battersea are NOT the only rescue who think this way about these breeds,so is'nt about time they were educated in realising exactly what these great dogs are really like :D Because an awful lot of them are overlooked because of misinformation given by the rescue staff to the average person looking to give a dog a home.

well. I did rather think what whippet 05 said.

I suppose they err on the side of caution.

:wacko:

I live in Oxford with three lurchers. We go for a 3/4 walk twice a day (all free running) and try to do some road work too. They are fine, but we are really lucky to have the space (a 200 acre area of common land) which is basically enclosed to run them on.

I do occasionally take them to the univeristy park to walk them but it is hard to keep an eye on all three there so do that less often now, but with one it was easy.

Having said all of this we are moving to the country in the spring so they can have a decent sized garden.

Try Sheya lurcher rescue who I got both of my rescues from.

www.sheyagreyhoundandlurcherrescue.com

I have 3 lurchers, one of whom was born and gew up in a town and the other two who, up until May this year lived in the country. I worried mine wouldnt adapt to a town life, but what a waste of time that proved lol. They and the greyhound I have, now live in a mid terraced house, with a small garden. They get walked regularly ( well when the weather is nice enough for them to be coaxed from by the fireside!) but are home alone through the day and look no different to how they did when they had the run of a half acre garden out in the sticks!

It is possible to have this kind of dog in an urban environment, as mine have shown, but I think a lot of this kind of thinking is because the owners feel bad about it .............. I know I worried a lot when I first moved.

Its a shame that you werent allowed to have a lurcher from Battersea, but lets hope they find nice homes, wherever it is.

PS Olivia, if anyone wanted proof that lurchers etc can be happy in a town, they only have to lok at your fine hounds, who all look divine, in photos and the flesh.

peony said:
PS Olivia, if anyone wanted proof that lurchers etc can be happy in a town, they only have to lok at your fine hounds, who all look divine, in photos and the flesh.

Thank you so much that's so kind :huggles:

I would say the same for yours- I had no idea they are town dogs

Back