The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Lurchers And Bird Flu

dazgail

Registered
Reaction score
I was walking my lurchers last week around Antrim. One of my dogs Shannon was walking along the river minding his own business when a huge swan swam 20 yards from one side of the river over to Shannon in a threatening manner, wings raised up and hissing......bad mistake as Shannon wasn't put of the slightest but rose to the challenge and leapt straight into the river to meet the swan head on. A bit of of a fight then took place with Shannon only letting go due to my constant shouts of panic for him to leave the swan alone...didn't want him to kill it as i think they are protected. When Shannon got back to the river bank you would have thought that someone had burst a pillow over the river. The swan seemed to be fine with just a few feathers missing. Quickly Shannon was put on the lead and i done a disappearing act and forgot about the whole incident.

To my surprise the next night whilst watching the news there was a scare of the bird flu outbreak in Antrim. A dead swan had been found and was being tested for the bird flu virus. Thankfully a couple of days later the bird was diagnosed as having not died of birdflu.

Was this the swan that Shannon rumbled with???? who knows but for a day or so Shannon had that mischievous look on his face..think he knew that he put Northern Ireland into a bit of a panic. (w00t) (w00t)

LOL, i could just imagine u doing the disappearing act! :- " :- " a bit like the time i took my 2 to the forest park and 'Cody' caught a squirrel in front of school trip with about 30 wee children!!!! (w00t) :teehee: i couldnt get him to let go of it and i really couldnt get away quick enough!!! :- " :- " :b

Rose :)

my cousin's lurcher mistook a swan for a large goose a while back............got stuck in, expecting goose-type honking - swan reared up and pecked the bejeezuz out of her (w00t) Whisper avoids swans now lol!

Does anyone yet have any idea what effects bird flu can have on other animals? I believe Derfra said early on that foxes could be susceptable, but I have since heard nothing about whether or not dog or cats could be at risk by coming into contact with anything infected.

LOL LOL Miss Madam and Urchin, great to hear some of the embarrassing and funny situations our dogs have got us in to. Come on you folk surely you have a story which you can share with us. Give us a laugh :blink:

Really hope that the bird flu doesn't affect dogs as last week my Scrumpy pup found the remains of a magpie in the park. After running round flinging it in the air she ate it in one gulp :x and then brought it straight back :x :x . By this time I'd managed to grab her but she wouldn't drop it so I had to prise her mouth open & pick it out :x :x :x IT SMELT AWFUL.

I was expecting upset stomach, diarrhoea, the works but it didnt affect her at all, & this is the dog that gets the squits if she eats a bit of bread :b

Dont you just love em :wub: :wub:

I don't think you need to worry about the magpie JT as I very much doubt it had bird flu. Think it's more the big migrating birds coming in - geese etc that may have it and pos give it to swans and other water birds they are mixing with.

However if bird flu doesn't get nipped in the bud here I wouldn't want any of my cats or dogs munching dead birds they find.

:- " That story sounds familiar... The same day it was on the news about a bird being found in the UK having bird flu my Woody caught a Canada Goose spectacularly in mid air!!! :eek: He had a right fight with it but sadly for the goose Woody won, although he injured his neck and pelvis in the process :( He landed very awkwardly on his side... there were feathers EVERYWHERE :eek: Am hoping he has not got bird flu!!!!! :sweating:

Hope Woody recovers ok from his bad landing and if the goose was fighting fit I doubt it had flu. :)

Hi!

I havnt got a funny story bout my dog yet as im having a whippet x beddy (1st x) in three weeks!!!! But one day when i decided to take my girlfriend to pembrokeshire for a day trip i stopped in the services for some petrol after driving on the motorway for about an hour at about 70 -90mph! filled up the tank and then just by chance decided to top up my washer bottle with water. I opened the bonnet and my girlfriends cat was sat shaking on top of my battery!!!! i looked over the bonnet and told her that her cat was in the engine bay and before i could tell her that the cat was ok she started to cry!!!! there was a look of disgust from the other drivers as i pulled the cat from out of my engine and my upset girlfriend took the cat from me and hugged her! after we had calmed down we took the cat with us to the beach in pembrokeshire!!! Every time i looked at the cat who was sat on my girlfriends lap it just turned and looked the other way as if it was all MY fault! :oops:

:eek: (w00t) :eek: (w00t) What a lucky escape for the cat. Good job you found her when you did. Hope she enjoyed the beach after all that :)

BTW Scrumpy hasn't started tweeting yet so is probably o.k. as far as bird flu goes :- "

LOL! :) Glad 2 hear Scrumpy isnt tweeting! :) Just watch Scrumpy doest start 2 get too PECKISH!!!!! :teehee:

Hopes this helps Scrumpy!!! :- "

lem.jpg

I would'nt get too complacent about bird flu there was a report of a stray dog dieing in eastern europe of bird flu having eaten a contaminated bird it was only two or three weeks ago. TerryC.

Sorry Terryc! Didnt mean to sound complacent :oops: Just trying 2 cheer people up, rather than state hard facts and worry em! :huggles:

2backs said:
Sorry Terryc! Didnt mean to sound complacent :oops: Just trying 2 cheer people up, rather than state hard facts and worry em! :huggles:
No problem its just that sometimes you have to worry them .Cheers TerryC

my last lurcher sadie hated swans fighting so jumped into the water to seperate them :lol:

Back