The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Lurcher Guard Dog

Fast but dim

Registered
Reaction score
the missus has said she wants a guard dog, i work shifts, and we've got a baby and she doesnt like being in the house alone. we've got a beddy whippet but she wants "something to set on a burgler".I,ve had a collie grey in he past but it was hard to live with, so which crosses make an easy to live with guard?

(w00t) i can't believe she wants me to get another dog (w00t)

Gawd, the wummin wants a guard dog in addition to a greetin' bairn (w00t) , in my personal experience ... as a woman with children of various ages ... go talk this through again seriously.

Does she want additional work when your not around, do you when your trying to sleep? Beddie crosses can do a formidable job just as they are, never ever, ever forget that terrier in 'em.

No doubt others will have good advice for you and your family, hope it all works out... :thumbsup:

I find that my Beddie cross does a formidable job. She's got spectacular hearing and barks furiously if she doesn't recognise the car or footsteps of someone outside the house. Though I do think quantity helps. The first time someone came to the door when all three were barking by the time I got to the door he was running off down the street (w00t)

Fast but dim said:
the missus has said she wants a guard dog, i work shifts, and we've got a baby and she doesnt like being in the house alone. we've got a beddy whippet but she wants "something to set on a burgler".I,ve had a collie grey in he past but it was hard to live with, so which crosses make an easy to live with guard?(w00t) i can't believe she wants me to get another dog (w00t)

Theres only one lurcher cross you should give any serious thought to and that is a

saluki x malmute. I have owned numerous lurchers of this breeding and have always found them to be very versatile.

Back