The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Loving Home Seeks Sighthound To Cuddle!

I had a call this morning from a lovely lady who rehomes greys who is only 3/4 of an hour away from our house, she has several 'non chasers' who may well be cat friendly. So exciting, we are going to see them tomorrow morning....... :D

Thanks for all the help on here and i will keep you all posted with photos.... :thumbsup:

Felt the need to reply on this thread as our name was mentioned and then so was a blanket policy on not homing with cats! Greyhound Gap homes MANY an ex racer and many an ex working lurcher with cats BUT only if we know its safe to do so. We assess our dogs fully and if they have cat safe potential we place them into experienced foster homes to allow them to continue their de sensitisation. Thankfully to date in five years of rehoming we have never had a cat killed by any of our dogs that they share their home with. At the moment the only dogs we have deemed safe to live with cats are 6mnth old puppies and 8 week old puppies. The majority of our greyhounds at the moment are mustard and not that great with small dogs either.

As our dogs are mainly up North aswell it was too far for this lady to travel to meet the dogs and we do insist on a meeting to make sure both are compatable and happy together. I did give the lady contacts for Hampshire Greyhound Rescue etc and was thanked at the time for being so helpful so am a little peturbed to see anything else now being posted.

At the moment sadly we seem to have an owness on hounds handed to us because they have killed the family cat or a cat in the garden and have then been handed either into the pound or we get the call. We have a cat friendly lurcher boy going to Hampshire on Sunday he is currently in Stoke and his family are travelling to collect him, we do as you can imagine have alot of people pre vetted also wanting cat friendlies bless them and will find them the right dog it could just take a good while.

Not quite sure what happpened regarding the above post, if it was the Lisa i spoke to then i am sadly mistaken and i apologise profusly. :huggles: I was told by one rescue that they do not rehome with cats (maybe what they meant was they had none to rehome at that time with cats, i dont know it wasnt clear) and i thought that it was that one that i spoke to. We were quite happy to travel to see a dog and didnt expect to find one close to home, we had been in contact with a lady in the midlands so that certainly wasnt a problem. They are so worth it! :D We travelled 250 miles once to rescue 7 chickens..... :b

However despite phoning many rescues and shelters (more than 12 that i can count) we failed to find one dog which was deemed to be cat and kid firendly that was still available for rehoming. It is so frustrating!

I have now found a lovely lady an hour away from us and been to see 5 dogs which are all suitable for our home. We have picked a super little bitch who is gorgeous and sooo friendly and lovely with our daughter. We are picking her up after xmas to save the worry of her getting stressed by the lights and decorations and visitors. She is black and white with spots and very sweet.

I will post pics of her on here once she comes home. I cant wait!!!! (w00t) (w00t) It was so frustrating to see all the lovely dogs and not be suitable for homing them. :wub:

Now i need to post with all the questions i have about settling her in and house training her....... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck with your new dog :luck: :thumbsup: bet your all dead excited cant wait to see pics :huggles:

Good luck with her :luck: Look forward in seeing piccies after Christmas :D :D

That's great news, and well done for resisting the temptation to have her in beofre Christmas. I can't wait to see piccies. :thumbsup: :luck: :cheers: :huggles:

Oh I am so pleased for you !!! I rehomed a fawn Greyhound years ago through the Retired Greyhound Trust he was and ex racer and five years old...he lived with two cats beautifully and he was a poppet !!

I wish you all the luck in the world !! :)

Thank you all so much. We are so excited i have started coat and bad shopping already. I will make a separate post about this so please reply with recommendations.

We could have taken her before xmas but the poor little love will have to deal with a house and toys and furniture etc as she has always lived in kennels, plus she needs to be toilet trained and get to know us so we didnt want to overload her with xmas as well :wacko:

I thought after xmas was ideal as we are both at home for the holidays and the guests and decorations will have disappeared so we can spend lots of time watching out for 'i need a pee/poo' and settling her in, plus as hubby will be here full time too for the holidays it will help her to bond with him too. :wub:

SO EXCITED! I'm going to bombard you all with photo's........ :lol:

Oh goodeeeee we LOVE photos here at k9!

am so glad you've got your girlie on the way - looking forward to seeing her spottyness after criggy

Good luck with your new arrival, something nice to look forward to after Christmas :thumbsup: :luck: :luck:

Looking forward to pics of you new arrival :thumbsup:

Great news!!! you must be so excited!!!!! can't wait to see lots of pictures of the little girlie :)) :)) :))

Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Back