The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Loving Home Seeks Sighthound To Cuddle!

kellysomer

Registered
Reaction score
Hello i'm new to the forum but my sister has recommended the site (she's an addict) as you guys may be able to help.

We are looking for a smoothcoated sighthound, any age, sex, colour, size to join our happy family. The dog will need to be friendly and good with children, it would also be a plus if he/she was good with cats although we are happy to detrain. We have tried all of the rescues and it seems that child/cat firendly dogs are like gold dust. We have a loving home with all the love a dog could want and have had a whippet in the family for years. We have no other dogs. We are having enormous trouble finding the right dog and would love any ideas. I have tried Greyhound Gap, Hampshire Greyhound rescue, dogsblog and other but they do not have the dog for us.

Someone must know a dog in need of a loving forever home, i cant beleive how hard it is to find one...... :(

welcome to k9 and good :luck: in your search, im afraid k9 is very addictive :lol:

Thank you, i am finding all the sighthound forums very addictive!!! (w00t) I just see all these lovely beautiful dogs needing a loving home and want them all. The cat seems to be the biggest problem....... :(

hello and welcome to k9 hun ,good luck in your search and remeber one is never enough :- "

I fear you may be right, i'm sure hubby will be dead chuffed when i rescue a whole kennels...... :D

Oh forgot to say we are in Hampshire.

its true i started off with none when i joined then we got our blue and said thats it no more ,then along came ollie :- " and we said no more and then came my little princess tia now i said no more after her to but we will see (w00t)

Its very sad that so many rescues consider a cat in the house to be a definite no-no. I have successfully introduced sighthounds to my cats - even ex racing greyhounds and one who would have eaten them without a thought when they first met.

But by very careful introduction, I would be reasonable confident to make it work with all but the keenest of hunters. My method has always been to work in steps

Step 1, dog on lead with muzzle at all times when s/he and cat could possibly see each other. Any time dog shows interest in cat, a sharp NO!

when you can happily spend an evening not having to say NO!

Step 2 dog on lead no muzzle (again sharp NO! at any interest shown)

Step 3 muzzle on, no lead (the scary bit) By now the dog should have the idea well and truely planted that the NO! refers to the cat.

Step 4 (the proof!) no lead, no muzzle - just surveillance!

How long this all takes depends on the dog - only move on a step when the dog is reliable - Digit only took a few days, Sid the greyhound took a few months.

Even now I wouldnt leave dogs and cat in teh same room together when I'm out of the house just in case but tbh i'm more worried that my grumpy old cat would take a swipe at one of them.

I think it's really sad when rescues have a blanket policy, as there are so many dogs looking for a family of their own - I've told you all of this because when we homed a retired racer they seemed at first to be very worried about the cat issue, but when i explained exactly what I was going to do, they reconsidered :thumbsup:

good look in finding your fireside companion :luck:

Urchin... :huggles: my sentiments exactly. I dont understand it, we are willing to take the time and patience to detrain, sit there all evening long if nessessary. It saddens me so much as we are sat here waiting and not being given even a chance. I know not all greys will love a cat but surely we could be given a chance. It seems that the rescues are over the top on caution which is only down to the common practice of everyone sueing everyone i am sure.... :rant:

Ho hum the search goes on. :(

nicky12 said:
its true i started off with none when i joined then we got our blue and said thats it no more ,then along came ollie  :- " and we said no more and then came my little princess tia now i said no more after her to but we will see  (w00t)
nicky i will say it again your just so lovely :huggles:

trac said:
nicky12 said:
its true i started off with none when i joined then we got our blue and said thats it no more ,then along came ollie  :- " and we said no more and then came my little princess tia now i said no more after her to but we will see  (w00t)

aww stop it your making me blush :b iv told you before im the :devil: in disguise o:)

nicky12 said:
trac said:
nicky12 said:

aww stop it your making me blush :b iv told you before im the :devil: in disguise o:)

yes you may be , but deep down your one in a million

Do rescues move the dogs down so you can see them or do you have to travel to see them, i have seen a couple on those links i like but they are all far far away? :(

It seems that a lot of them are good with older kids, my daughter is only nearly 2 but sooooo used to dogs she loves them........ :wub:

My racer Button came to me straight from the track although I didn't get her through rescue. As she came from Yarmouth she went to live with Posh Totty for a week .She was great with her cat .Then she came to me mt cat Gizmo is semi feral she was muzzled and he came into the house . She didn't even look at him .

I always find if your cat is used to dogs and won't run away then the hounds won't chase .Gizmo is respected by all our dogs they know he is boss. In fact he will go up to William head but him so William looks at him then he hisses and tries to scratch him .William is that daft he falls for it every time

Gizmo will even pinch William's tea

DSCF0250.jpg

Forgot to add I also take Button to ringcraft were there is lots of snall furry dogs pekinese chinese crested etc and she does't bother at all we have 1 other greyhound 1 irish setter and 8 whippets and they all live happily with the cat

Last edited by a moderator:
mums ex racer deeley , has laid in the garden with my now gone rabbits ( thanks button and sas :- " ) and is perfect with my cats and also he lives with 2 yorkshire terriers, i have to echo what urchin has said and treat each dog on his own merits and take your time :thumbsup:

i did send you a pm about a dog pup lurcher still available from a lady i know too? many tracks have good trainers willing to let you have a trial period too?

good luck in your search and welcome to k9 :huggles:

Thank you all so so much, you are such a nice lot..... :cheers:

I have received a lot of PM's with potential dogs and am working my way through replying, lots of ideas of rescue centres and contacts and a couple of lots of info of potential dogs, at the moment i would like them all. :p

Will reply to you all in due course and thanks again. I will post once a hound finds its forever sofa here........ :D

Oh my! doesnt tarry sound like the perfect dog?

WOW! (w00t) He's a sexy boy!!!!!!

Thanks for the link, i'm going to contact them......... :D :wub:

Wow he is gorg and sounds perfect

Hope you find the right dog very soon

They are the perfect sofa accesory every home should have one,or two or three.................. :- "

Welcome to K9 :D

Back