The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Looking For Info On Whippet Pups

didi

Registered
Reaction score
hi! there just joined the site,

just looking for info on whippet pups as i am considering having 1 in the near future. the pup would be exercised before being left with the cat from about 9:00am till 12:30pm where my daughter will come home for lunch until 12:55pm and return at 3:00pm, the dog could then be exercised again and would spend the rest of the evening with the family. Would this be to long for the dog to be left on its own?

Thanx, Diane :)

didi said:
hi! there just joined the site, just looking for info on whippet pups as i am considering having 1 in the near future. the pup would be exercised before being left with the cat from about 9:00am till 12:30pm where my daughter will come home for lunch until 12:55pm and return at 3:00pm, the dog could then be exercised again and would spend the rest of the evening with the family. Would this be to long for the dog to be left on its own?

Thanx, Diane  :)

Get a crate, so you will have a house/cat to come home too, while you are away

It doesnt sound a long time to be left alone, but i would consider taking a week or two off work so you can settle your new pup in

welcome to K9

whippet.kd said:
didi said:
hi! there just joined the site, just looking for info on whippet pups as i am considering having 1 in the near future. the pup would be exercised before being left with the cat from about 9:00am till 12:30pm where my daughter will come home for lunch until 12:55pm and return at 3:00pm, the dog could then be exercised again and would spend the rest of the evening with the family. Would this be to long for the dog to be left on its own?

It doesnt sound a long time to be left alone, but i would consider taking a week or two off work so you can settle your new pup in

welcome to K9

Thanx :thumbsup: for the advise! but i've read that dogs shouldnt stay in crates for more than 2hrs, is this true?

:wacko:

Diane x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to K9.

I'm lucky that I work from home so mine are rarely left. I dont know how long a puppy could keep out of mischief for..... :- " I'd suggest a crate too as it looks like the pup is only going to be left for 3 hours at a time. You can leave the puppy with toys / kongs etc and they will be safe, as will the house. :)

However, rather than rely on your daughter who could be late, have to stay behind, move out, go to Uni etc I'd get a dog walker, just to play with the puppy for an hour and to walk him/her when old enough.

Thanx! yhyh a dog walker soiunds a gr8 idea just have 2 find out some prices :lol: if i had a dog cage wot size would you suggest for a whippet?

Diane x

didi, have a look in our FAQ section - there are the answers to so many questions there because as you can imagine these things get asked all the time. It's really worth having a browse. There's info there on crates, feeding, health, vaccinations, housetraining. It's a regular library :lol: :thumbsup:

Here's the link to FAQ's main page: FAQ

and here are a few interesting bits you might find useful:

collars crates and kongs - lots of answers here!

worming fleas etc

getting a puppy what should I know?

didi said:
whippet.kd said:
didi said:

welcome to K9

Thanx :thumbsup: for the advise! but i've read that dogs shouldnt stay in crates for more than 2hrs, is this true?

:wacko:

Diane x

Mine are 19 months and 10 months and they are crated all night...from 10pm till 7am no problems.....

And in the day 3 hours is fine he is after all a pup and will be sleeping lots, as long as when he is out you are playing with him lots...

Welcome to K9, and Good luck with your search for a new puppy. :thumbsup: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back