The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Looking For A Lurcher With Texture

Good Lord - Chip is a beaut - but I'm not an experieced dog person. He, unfortunately, has issues with other dogs / animals. I have a cat in the garden, dogs in the neighbourhood, and rabbits and deer share my garden.

Poor doggy will need a better person than me to give him a home.

How about Woolly?

WOOLY.JPG

Gender Male

Breed Lurcher

Age nine years

Location Thirsk

Suitable for homing with children? Yes

Age of children Over ten years old only

Suitable for homing with other pets? Yes

Other Pets dogs

Other Information Woolly is a laid back gentleman who is wonderful around people.

Thirsk adoption centre

Parklands, Station Road, Topcliffe, Thirsk, North Yorkshire, YO7 3SE

Tel : 01845 577 759

Fax : 01845 578 596

Email: info@thebluecross.org.uk

Where do you get your leads? (pardon the pun!) Looking at his photo he ticks all my 'must have' boxes.

He is lovely and I will make enquiries tomorrow. Though, I think the distance between us will be too great. Small print on the website states "Normally, animal adoptions will only be arranged within the adoption centre’s catchment area...".

The usual story, so I wont get over excited.

Woolly is really gorgeous but if they won't home him out of area have a look at Oojit (in Kent) who can be homed anywhere and you should be able to get help with transporting him to you. He is really yummy and I would like him myself but would have to move house as failed previous homecheck cos of too much traffic.

Anyway here is link http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...opic=87797&st=0

Prepare to swoon! :))

Scottish Lind@ said:
Where do you get your leads? (pardon the pun!) Looking at his photo he ticks all my 'must have' boxes.
He is lovely and I will make enquiries tomorrow. Though, I think the distance between us will be too great. Small print on the website states "Normally, animal adoptions will only be arranged within the adoption centre’s catchment area...".

The usual story, so I wont get over excited.

Too far away - as I thought.

Loopy said:
Woolly is really gorgeous but if they won't home him out of area have a look at Oojit (in Kent) who can be homed anywhere and you should be able to get help with transporting him to you. He is really yummy and I would like him myself but would have to move house as failed previous homecheck cos of too much traffic.
Anyway here is link http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...opic=87797&st=0

Very stiking dog.

Think I'm going to stick to my own area. Looking far afield is just too disheartening.

Oojit can be homed anywhere in UK but I do understand it would be easier to get one locally. Praps you could try ringing your local dog warden/s and find out where they keep the dogs they pick up as they can be re-homed after 7 days.

Best wishes....

Scottish Lind@ said:
Loopy said:

Very stiking dog.

Think I'm going to stick to my own area. Looking far afield is just too disheartening.

If only we could all win the lottery................... :(

Hi Lind@ still keeping an eye out for you (as is Claire at St. Huberts), yes I was wondering if your also trying some of the Scottish general rescue's...PADS in Perth, Brown Street in Dundee as well as whats the general spca or whatever in Aberdeen (& Inverness?), worth a chat with them about what your looking for as many of them dont use internet much, also is one Montrose based cant for the life of me remember what their called...they often advertise in Dundee "Courier"(Saturday pet section)...let you know if I can find/remember the contact name/details there.

Hope your not getting too disheartened :luck:

Cheers Bappit,

I'm kind of pinning my hopes on you and Claire. (No pressure - just that you are in 'my area', and you move in the right circles). I check out Aberdeen dog home (Mrs Murrays) whenever I'm near and call when I remember.

Dundee! My daughter just moved there - so I'm down often. Good idea, I'll put their number in my book.

Ta for top-up motivation.

:thumbsup:

Cool Lind@ 8) .

Found Arbroath one (well Montrose/Arbroath whatever!!! all exotic locations for my bygone summer hols...I'm no joking BTW!), from memory it is small general animal based, do what they can for the dogs, and as they say...if your not in you cant win - Help for Abandoned Animals 01241 870529. Brown Street is well worth a look on a regular basis :thumbsup:

May well be something of interest in couple of weeks for you (dont count on it though, lots of ifs and buts involved let you know if it comes to anything ok).

Working lurcher owner phoned other night looking for a pet home for one of his 1st thing I asked was it the rough coat :lol: , not usually the top priority question! It was'nt :( but lovely smooth dog just the same - home lined up for that one, just he was slightly taken aback by how keen I was on it being the rough coat ;)

It is with great delight I have to announce... I got one!!!

I was out today with the intention of buying a couple of goldfish (! ), and on the way I popped into the dog home in Aberdeen. They know I am looking for a lurcher and imediately took me to his pen. It was love at first sight.

This lovely big lurcher is I think partly deerhound and was a stray with no name. He's very tall and a lovely colour, and he has a beardy face. The kennels think he's less than one year old, I wouldn't know. But he was very bouncy in the kennels thought has settled down nicely tonight. Wonder if he will let us sleep?

I'd like to thank everyone for the support and help in looking for my lurcher with texture. And I guess the next post from me will be advice on my new dog!!

YOU TEASE :rant: :rant: :rant: I'm scrolling down, and down looking :lol:

Congrats...on the doorstep after all :cheers: Cant wait to see photos :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read through all 7 pages of this thread :teehee:

I'm Lynda, Barney's mum who has his pic posted on page 4 (I think) I joined back in 2004 but for some reason I have only posted 3 times (w00t) I intend to make up for lost time!!

Anyway, just wanted to say, so glad that you finally met your lurcher and here's wishing you lots of happy times together :D

I have 6 lurchers, all different crosses and ranging in sizes from quite small, Libby my Beddlington whippet cross, to "blimey he's big!", Barney my wolfhound greyhound cross. The other four come somewhere inbetween!!

Best of luck with everything :luck: :thumbsup: Lynda

Last edited by a moderator:
So pleased you have found the lurcher of your dreams - I'm sure he was worth the wait. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the pix when you are able - have you thought of a name yet? :luck: :luck:

oooooooooooooooooooooooo how exciting- I am SO glad that you have finally found YOUR lurcher.

Can't wait for pics.

Excellent news! :D Hurry up with the pics and after so long a search will expect regular updates! :D

Here's our lovely textured lurcher.

We've decided to call him Indy. (His name preceeded him) The family thinks its a cool Indiana Jones association. ("We named the dog Indiana")

He was a good boy last night though didn't pee until 2am in the bleary eyed morning. I had him in and out every 20 minutes all night - but nothing!

It's lovely to be so needed. He won't let me out of his sight. I love having a dog again.

Indy.jpg

Back