The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Long Haired Versus Short

macdee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all im new to raceing Lurchers but i have a lot of experience of racing whippets greyhounds etc ive entered a couple of shows with my dog which is Bearded colie x Bedlington x Greyhound x whippet and is long haired im just curious to find out if any of the lurcher shows around the country have a class just for long haired lurchers 21 to 23 to run in?My dog although only 13 months old will chase the fake lure and hold her own but has got little or no chance against a whippet cross greyhound like Ted Walsh said in plummers book Hunters all that there is little doubt that a good class courseing greyhound trained and conditioned from child hood is a far more effective coursing machine than any lurcher or longdog hybride. No sour grapes on my behalf im just curious to know if there are any such classes around the country i could enter me dog or do i just enter her in the rescue dog race?the last race i put her in she raced 3 other whippet greyhound crosses in the 21 to 23 section whilst in the rescue section it was mainly long haired and bedlington dogs,just wondering else i might as well save the petrol and take her for a race up the greyhound track,Dunc

Hi all im new to raceing Lurchers but i have a lot of experience of racing whippets greyhounds etc ive entered a couple of shows with my dog which is Bearded colie x Bedlington x Greyhound x whippet and is long haired im just curious to find out if any of the lurcher shows around the country have a class just for long haired lurchers 21 to 23 to run in?My dog although only 13 months old will chase the fake lure and hold her own but has got little or no chance against a whippet cross greyhound like Ted Walsh said in plummers book Hunters all that there is little doubt that a good class courseing greyhound trained and conditioned from child hood is a far more effective coursing machine than any lurcher or longdog hybride. No sour grapes on my behalf im just curious to know if there are any such classes around the country i could enter me dog or do i just enter her in the rescue dog race?the last race i put her in she raced 3 other whippet greyhound crosses in the 21 to 23 section whilst in the rescue section it was mainly long haired and bedlington dogs,just wondering else i might as well save the petrol and take her for a race up the greyhound track,Dunc
hi mate dont think there is ive been to alot and they all race together

roger

hi mate dont think there is ive been to alot and they all race together

roger

Thanks for reply mate maybe one of the organisers of the shows may think of doin a long haired dog race in the future,at the last show i see a Deerhound racing a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet in the simulated coursin even a dinilo could tell you the Deerhounds got no chance it aint worth putin the collar on it! I just think as the original lurcher used by the Romany people was long haired its only fair to race em against each other,the way it stands at the mo if you want to win every lurcher meeting just breed a half decent greyhound dont get it earmarked etc and youd **** it which im sure some people have done,i think the only way to get a fair crack if you'v got a long haired dog is to enter it in the rescue section even if aint been rescued unless the organisers change and give you a fair crack and not race proper old style lurchers against greyhounds,

Thanks for reply mate maybe one of the organisers of the shows may think of doin a long haired dog race in the future,at the last show i see a Deerhound racing a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet in the simulated coursin even a dinilo could tell you the Deerhounds got no chance it aint worth putin the collar on it! I just think as the original lurcher used by the Romany people was long haired its only fair to race em against each other,the way it stands at the mo if you want to win every lurcher meeting just breed a half decent greyhound dont get it earmarked etc and youd **** it which im sure some people have done,i think the only way to get a fair crack if you'v got a long haired dog is to enter it in the rescue section even if aint been rescued unless the organisers change and give you a fair crack and not race proper old style lurchers against greyhounds,
Lure coursing, well, racing in general really, is the luck of the draw when it comes to your opponents. In straight racing there's normally height divisions but the length of the coat isn't normally an issue. There's plenty of fast rough-coats about.

People that really want to win lurcher racing events are bound to breed or buy a dog to do the job and if that means a large grey/whippet longdog or practically purebred of either that's what they'll do... some clubs allow un-tattooed greyhounds to race as lurchers anyway.

But that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun doing the best you can with your dog. The "run what you brung" aspect of lurcher racing has always ben there. They do say every dog has it's day.

Getting a "fair crack" by entering a non-rescue dog in a rescue dog race is hardly giving the other dogs that ARE rescues a "fair crack" is it?

Lure coursing, well, racing in general really, is the luck of the draw when it comes to your opponents. In straight racing there's normally height divisions but the length of the coat isn't normally an issue. There's plenty of fast rough-coats about.

People that really want to win lurcher racing events are bound to breed or buy a dog to do the job and if that means a large grey/whippet longdog or practically purebred of either that's what they'll do... some clubs allow un-tattooed greyhounds to race as lurchers anyway.

But that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun doing the best you can with your dog. The "run what you brung" aspect of lurcher racing has always ben there. They do say every dog has it's day.

Getting a "fair crack" by entering a non-rescue dog in a rescue dog race is hardly giving the other dogs that ARE rescues a "fair crack" is it?

No it's not fair, hardly any of the shows down in cornwall do lurcher rescue race as such. My two rescued lurchers do ok in the racing but as my dog wasnt trained for this from a pup he could do so much better with other dogs not trained from a pup etc. My other rescue is almost 17 months now and is holding her own in a race against other dogs, getting a 3rd in the final last time we were out with her.

Yes you do get un earmarked greyhounds running claiming to be 7/8ths grey 1/8th something else, but the people go home winning knowing they have cheated so why lower yourself to that level.

Yes it is hard to win against a awhippetx grey but sometimes it happens and put some faith into your little dog he may just surprise you !

Indeed, and bear in mind that many rescue lurchers are whippyxgrey types anyway......so they may still have the speed advantage.

that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun doing the best you can with your dog. The "run what you brung" aspect of lurcher racing has always ben there. They do say every dog has it's day.

Indeed, and bear in mind that many rescue lurchers are whippyxgrey types anyway......so they may still have the speed advantage.
thanks for replyat least i know the crack now like i say im new to lurcher racing still think it would be an idea worth thinkin about for organisers if they get enuff long haired entries to just do a 21 to 23 and over 23 long haired section,my little lurcher bitch is inly 13 months old at the mo so im not loosing faith altogether in her not winning a 23 race in the future and if she does beat a whippet or greyhound ill be even more chuffed!All the best Dunc

Thats the spirit, keep going with her, and beleive me when she DOES beat one of these whippetx greys you will be so over the moon :luck: good luck with her

that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun doing the best you can with your dog. The "run what you brung" aspect of lurcher racing has always ben there. They do say every dog has it's day.

thanks for replyat least i know the crack now like i say im new to lurcher racing still think it would be an idea worth thinkin about for organisers if they get enuff long haired entries to just do a 21 to 23 and over 23 long haired section,my little lurcher bitch is inly 13 months old at the mo so im not loosing faith altogether in her not winning a 23 race in the future and if she does beat a whippet or greyhound ill be even more chuffed!All the best Dunc

Have you considered having a go at agility? It can be very rewarding training and involves skills other than pure speed. :luck:

I owned a bearded collie x greyhound never did well in racin she did it for the fun. I own 2 gray x bull types 18months old ones silm and others bigger build he slower when racin, with lurcher u never know what your going to get!!!!!!

LURCHER LINK have racing once a month at highgate greyhound stadium near barnsley in yorkshire .its mainly fun runs only but its a good afternoon out and you can have solo runs and if you ask you could probably run with a dog of similar ability and your money would be going to a good cause as LURCHER LINK are a none profit making organisation that re home unwanted lurchers ,even to working homes .theres some good dogs and its an easy going atmosphire with no moaning and no prizes or rossets,although once or twice a year they have an official race day for rossets only .races are over 100m 250m 414m 590m 710m hope this helps

I've just been to coursing event which was a 64 dog stake and the dog that won was a rough coated dog- so don't give up hope! He was also a rescue dog, yet he won dogs that were not only smooth, but are worked as well. :))

Though I have to admit that the dogs in the under 23's are very quick- so you'll have to hope she grows to over 23 and goes in the next class up. :))

As the above poster says the monthly meet at Highgate is good for a laugh and the dogs have a good time, there may not be any prizes but it only costs £3 entry and £1 per dog per race- so it's a cheap day out particularly if you've got a few dogs.

Back