The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Living With A Rescue Greyhound...

IWLass said:
I noticed that occasionally, there are greyhounds which have been previously homed up for adoption a second time; because their home cicumstances have changed.  I wondered if this might be a good way of finding out a bit about their temperment and foibbles - are they quite adaptable as a breed, or do they generally tend take a while to settle ? As we have another dog and a lively 5 yr old, I don't know if  a change from one home to another would be more unsettling; as the dog would have already adapted once from kennels to a home environment :)
I have also been told that I may not be considered by some rescue charities as my existing (2 yr old) dog is entire. I accept entirely that any greyhound I adopt will be neutered - but do Greyhound charities insist on established dogs also being done? It is not something that I have felt necesary up until now; but if his behaviour or health required it I would obviously have it carried out.

I think it depends on the change in circumstances - I would be asking a lot of questions! Like why they were brought back, was it because of the dog/adopters/area/neighbours etc. Especially as you already have a dog and a child - they obviously must come first in any decision. Usually it is not the dog's fault if they get returned to kennels.

How long do they take to adapt? - This is how we got Max! Home check day, Max comes in (because Tiny was still in Ireland), checks the house out, checks the garden out, says hello to the cats and goes to sleep! On his way out he asks if there's a vacancy and suddenly I'm getting two dogs not one!!

So about three seconds was our answer! (w00t)

Dunno about neutering, Tiny was entire when he came over but was de-plummed within the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been browsing websites for different Greyhound Rescue charities - I notice that some still refer to "being top dog" above your rescue dog? Do Greyhounds have particularly pushy personalities - everything I have read about them suggests differently?

I have recently read The Culture Clash, by Jean Donaldson - which makes a lot of sense to me, but questions the idea that a dog must be "dominated" by a pack leader in the home :blink:

Is the "pack leader" theory still held by many people in Greyhounds Rescue?

Greyhounds are beautifully natured dogs as we have all said. Left to their own devices they will rule the roost. They will also walk all over you given half the chance!

We just take tips from Super Nanny. Talk in a firm voice and mean it, stick to a routine etc!

There is no need to shout at a greyhound, as really meaning what you say and saying it firmly is usually more than enough. They only want to please you.

It has to be remembered that they are after all very large powerful dogs, so must be under control like any other breed.

Ex racers are used to routine and doing what they are told, so keeping to this will make them feel secure I believe.

I have a feeling that some people won't agree with me. Until you have owned a few different characters it is difficult to understand. What I would tell you about my late greyhound who was the boss of the whole kennel and weighed 42Kg, is completely different from what I would tell you about Rosie the complete manipulator of only 26Kg. Rosie just rules our house and never does what she is told, but the big old boy was potentially very dangerous due to his sheer hatred of other breeds. They are all different, but in all cases it is best to stay in charge! :thumbsup: (or try at least!)

Cerito

there not dominat in an agressive way but they will take over if you let them like was allready said be firm with them but you dont need to be ruff or agressive in any way. As you would with a child decied on the rules and stick to them and the dog will be fine if they were a very domint breed I woulnt be sat here with 5 of them in my living room asleep and the same here the top dog with 4 lehs here is my little bitch minnie shes the smalest greyhound shes manupulars all tthe others to do what she wants and even my hubby she just doesnt win with me. Even a greyhound treying to be the boss is funny cos they dont want to realy they like nowing there place and feel secure with it just like kids. Just remeber though they have a wicked sence of humor and you my fined you tell them know and they stand there a lafe at you whitch or shelby does quiet a lot before he does what we say.

We have had our old girl for 6 years and I have never regretted choosing a greyhound, she is v quiet and didn't bark until the whippet showed her how unfortunatly he is now gone but she doesn't bark any more, she has been known to sing along with the chemical brothers but only 1 track. Yes she hogs the sofa but she lets you snuggle up with her, She now tolerates a whippet pup who bosses her around and we have to rescue her from it. Betsy has been perfect from day one and we feel lucky to care for her. Oh she does do a bit of thieving but whatever it is always found in her bed

IWLass said:
I have been browsing websites for different Greyhound Rescue charities - I notice that some still refer to "being top dog" above your rescue dog? Do Greyhounds have particularly pushy personalities  - everything I have read about them suggests differently?

Cerito said:
We just take tips from Super Nanny.  Talk in a firm voice and mean it, stick to a routine etc!
There is no need to shout at a greyhound, as really meaning what you say and saying it firmly is usually more than enough.  They only want to please you.

All dogs need a leader so it may as well be you! :) You should sort out your pack structure and stick to it - although sometimes lower positions change, you need to be top dog.

We do the Super Nanny thing too, and it works. There should never be a need to shout at a greyhound - you'll scare them for a start and I don't think there is ever a need to scare an animal. I find mine look upset if they have done something I don't want them to do and speak firmly to them, but then we have BIG cuddles and everything is better again. :huggles:

I have been thinking of posting and theninking maybe i shouldnt but i think i will any way. I have a greyhound , he is a lovely dog but he is sooo not like the greyhounds people describe . when we got him my OH asked him to get off the bed and the dog retaliated , it took us by surprise because everyone always says how great they are , he hates my son and has to be muzzled at all times when son is around because dog is very unpredictable and will take a pop at him for no apparant reason. I was stroking him last week and wed been cuddling for a fair while and all of a sudden he decided hed had anough and growled and snapped at my face , huge surprise first time hed ever done that to me . he kills cats if he can catch them in the garden, has to be muzzled when out as he goes loopy if he sees a small dog. hes ok with my dogs but will run my labrador down in the garden.

Overall i wouldnt describe him as the most placid and laid back dog. my reason for posting is that i think sometimes because greyhound people are so desperate to get greyhounds homes they make out that greyhounds are exempt from the usual doggy charecteristics like chewing and growling and and stealing etc .

I think you really need to look at the individual dog that you hope to home ive seen lots of dogs that are the complete opposite of mine good with kids cats and dogs and perfect recall. my first greyhound was brilliant perfect recall never chased cats and was great with my kids . this one has come as something of a shock . i would definatly say go for a dog thats been fostered if you can especially if u have small kids and cats etc . i love my dog and apart from that one incident hes always been the most loving with me but really he is not an easy dog in my situation.

clairej810 said:
IWLass said:
I have been browsing websites for different Greyhound Rescue charities - I notice that some still refer to "being top dog" above your rescue dog? Do Greyhounds have particularly pushy personalities  - everything I have read about them suggests differently?

Cerito said:
We just take tips from Super Nanny.  Talk in a firm voice and mean it, stick to a routine etc!
There is no need to shout at a greyhound, as really meaning what you say and saying it firmly is usually more than enough.  They only want to please you.

All dogs need a leader so it may as well be you! :) You should sort out your pack structure and stick to it - although sometimes lower positions change, you need to be top dog.

We do the Super Nanny thing too, and it works. There should never be a need to shout at a greyhound - you'll scare them for a start and I don't think there is ever a need to scare an animal. I find mine look upset if they have done something I don't want them to do and speak firmly to them, but then we have BIG cuddles and everything is better again. :huggles:

William although not a rescue was in his breeders kennels until we got him .Within a few weeks he was diagnosed by the vet as having cronic seperation anxiety we tried all sorts of things to solve the problem and eventually he accepted that we go to work and come back

anti-barking collars didn't work he barked all night if he was downstairs even though he had the company of my whippets. Hebecame known as the 4 legged alarm clock because he started at the same time every morning. Eventually in desparation he was allowed upstairs then he kept us awake by snoring :oops:

Eventualy my husband said he either shuts up or he goes so he spent Christmas at bosarding kennels to give us a break and to spit him away from me- it was me he was after-he came back very depressed but quiet .then it sarted again.

I decided I needed help and spoke to Lynn Alexandria on here and she suggested that now it had developed into dominance I folowed her advise and now we get a quiet night on ocasions he barks and is triggered by my alarm clock but on the whole he is much happier and more settled

At crufts I met his sister and her owner and told her of his problems ans she told us always keep the males at arms length don't alow them to become clingy .

I have posted Wiliam's story because everyone says greyhound don't bark but they do although Wiliam's problems are very extreme and I know that most don't bark like Natty I think you should know both sides of these dogs they are not all the placid dogs they are made out to be

Before everyone jumps in and says Wiliam is not a rescue or a racer he is stil a greyhound regardless of what he does

Just want to ad thanks for your help Lynn without your help Iknow I would know longer have my lovely boy

i fostered a retired greyhound and sadly he only stayed a week...it really broke my heart ....we had every intention of adopting him and keeping him forever :(

he was a jekyll and hyde character...totally out of control being in kennels for 7 years :b

however i could cope with his problems except one...he was food aggressive...REALLY BAD!!!...i just couldnt work with that :(

he was a massive dog and went beserk over food....even if put in another room..it was something i would have worked with and hopefully improved on with hard work and knowledge of dog training BUT as i have a disabled child who can only eat with his fingers and has to have food out nearly all the time it was not going to work...one bite with those jaws and he could have took the whole of my sons head off :(

i had to put my sons safety first...the whole experience was so heartbreaking i would never do it again in my circumstances... i hope he found a more suitable home than mine...even in that week i really loved him :wub:

my only comment is that although the kennels said he was ok with food in from their knowledge i wish maybe more temperament testing was done to match retired greyhounds with families because they are not all suitable.

on a positive note however i know dozens of people who have adopted perfect angels and wouldnt have any other type of dog..the experience did lead me to my whippets though which i am glad of :thumbsup:

:luck:

Cerito said:
I would only add that they each have their own characters.  I have a greyhound who is a bit funny about non-greyhounds, but the other is fine. 
I would also would not recommend putting a greyhound on a long lead.  Definately not a retractable lead.  A lot of nasty accidents have happened when greyhounds have run at speed to the end of the leads.  I know some of you will say that they have no problems, but it is best to be careful.

We are addicted to greyhounds, and are shortly going to have 3 at home again, and can't imagine owning any other breed of dog.

Cerito

PS It is easy to raise a food bowl by placing it on a step, or fitting a large bowl in the top of a bucket.

...i would never recommend a flexi lead for a sighthound...i saw a horrific injury caused by a lurcher on a flexi that had took off at great speed... :(

IWLass said:
I have recently read The Culture Clash, by Jean Donaldson - which makes a lot of sense to me, but questions the idea that a dog must be "dominated" by a pack leader in the home  :blink:

i used to help people with dog behaviour problems for many years...quite a while back when the dominance theory was the only theory.....however now after much "retraining" i dont believe in it....to me it just does not make sense any more...just my opinion though :thumbsup:

this book i think says it all :thumbsup: .... (although i got mine from amazon here is a link to nosey at :p )

http://www.qanuk.com/prod35.htm

oakmoorehill said:
I decided I needed help and spoke to Lynn Alexandria on here and she suggested that now it had developed into dominance I folowed her advise and now we get a quiet night on ocasions he barks and is triggered by my alarm clock but on the whole he is much happier and more settled

Just want to ad thanks for your help Lynn without your help Iknow I would know longer have my lovely boy

:oops: just read this..no offence lynn and helen!..just my opinion :b :thumbsup:

natty said:
I have been thinking of posting and theninking maybe i shouldnt but i think i will any way. I have a greyhound , he is a lovely dog but he is sooo not like the greyhounds people describe . when we got him my OH asked him to get off the bed and the dog retaliated , it took us by surprise because everyone always says how great they are , he hates my son and has to be muzzled at all times when son is around because dog is very unpredictable and will take a pop at him for no apparant reason. I was stroking him last week and wed been cuddling for a fair while and all of a sudden he decided hed had anough and growled and snapped at my face , huge surprise first time hed ever done that to me . he kills cats if he can catch them in the garden, has to be muzzled when out as he goes loopy if he sees a small dog. hes ok with my dogs but will run my labrador down in the garden.Overall i wouldnt describe him as the most placid and laid back dog. my reason for posting is that i think sometimes because greyhound people are so desperate to get greyhounds homes they make out that greyhounds are exempt from the usual doggy charecteristics like chewing and growling and and stealing etc .

I think you really need to look at the individual dog that you hope to home ive seen lots of dogs that are the complete opposite of mine good with kids cats and dogs and perfect recall. my first greyhound was brilliant perfect recall never chased cats and was great with my kids . this one has come as something of a shock . i would definatly say go for a dog thats been fostered if you can especially if u have small kids and cats etc . i love my dog and apart from that one incident hes always been the most loving with me but really he is not an easy dog in my situation.

oakmoorehill said:
Before everyone jumps in and says Wiliam is not a rescue or a racer he is stil a greyhound regardless of what he does

Oh, Natty that's awful, have you tried a behaviour therapist? They might be able to help? :huggles:

Oakmoorehill - I don't think anyone will jump in, as you say he is still a greyhound (and a very handsome one!) and it is important that IWLass knows there can be negatives as well as positives. :huggles:

natty said:
I have been thinking of posting and theninking maybe i shouldnt but i think i will any way. I have a greyhound , he is a lovely dog but he is sooo not like the greyhounds people describe . when we got him my OH asked him to get off the bed and the dog retaliated , it took us by surprise because everyone always says how great they are , he hates my son and has to be muzzled at all times when son is around because dog is very unpredictable and will take a pop at him for no apparant reason. I was stroking him last week and wed been cuddling for a fair while and all of a sudden he decided hed had anough and growled and snapped at my face , huge surprise first time hed ever done that to me . he kills cats if he can catch them in the garden, has to be muzzled when out as he goes loopy if he sees a small dog. hes ok with my dogs but will run my labrador down in the garden.

Overall i wouldnt describe him as the most placid and laid back dog. my reason for posting is that i think sometimes because greyhound people are so desperate to get greyhounds homes they make out that greyhounds are exempt from the usual doggy charecteristics like chewing and growling and and stealing etc .

Hi Natty

I really feel for you as I know how draining and upsetting it all is. We were lucky in a way that our very dominant greyhound was 8 when we got him and he calmed down a lot at about 10!

You don't look forward to walks at all, and you come back more stressed than when you left. You are right that the truth that some greyhounds are not good pets is kept quiet. A good trainer should know which dogs should not be rehomed.

Our same greyhound barked for England too. Having the neighbours shouting at you in the street because your dog barks isn't much fun either. We moved house.

It wouldn't hurt to get some help, something might click that you haven't thought of. I realised myself that I got tense when other dogs approached in the end and this didn't help at all. The only thing to remember is that it is not like training a dog like a border Collie, as they have the brains to catch on! You think you have got somewhere and they forget again! (but you know that!)

I'm so glad you had a really good greyhound first time around. It is such a pleasure when it goes well isn't it?

Cerito

oh yes my first greyhound was amazing she saw me through some really tough times , she was a dog in a million .

i think i have been cursed with difficult dogs , i have a difficult lurcher as well, hes very noisy and very dog aggresive on leash apart from that he is the most wonderfull dog he is the grandson of my original greyhound , but not at all the same in temperament . I getvery jealous when i see people with there perfect dogs , i had such high hopes for mine . the whole past 4 years has just been extremely stressfull and my confidence has been shot to pieces. Im hoping to find suitable homes for my lurcher and my greyhound and then never again , i love dogs more than anything, but really i dont think i could cope with this much heart ache again. its killing me literally . but i do love them mad isnt it .

Our first greyhound Sid - rescue but not ex racer - was an absolute angel in the house and around people .............AND A TOTAL NIGHTNMARE IN THE PARK.

If he saw another dog he'd attack - unless he knew if very well. I would never walk him off the lead, and even on the lead he'd strain at other dogs and wrench my shoulder.

I hated taking him out, but as soon as we got home he'd turn into such a sweetie :wub:

We were working very hard with him to try and overcome his behaviour but sadly he died very young and we never got to see if it would all work out in the end.

Audrey (rescue ex racer) couldn't be more different. She's great with other dogs but nervous around other people .........this is an improvement - when we first brought her home she was absolutely terrified poor thing.

I think there's a lot to be said for really getting to know a rehoming centre. visit lots, get to know the staff - talk to them about your family and your lifestyle. Ask them to suggest dogs that they think would fit in.........and think about a trial placement. I know it's really hard to take a dog back but if you're thinking to yourself 'this is a trial weekend only, a time for us to check each other out', it can stop it being such an awful thing to admit it's not going to work.

:luck: :luck: good luck - but i'm confident that the right grey is out there for you

.........just like any other breed there's a whole range of temperaments, spend your time hunting down the right one, it'll pay off!

I have seen loead of greyhounds and lurchers ome into recued that were dificult for there first owners and in a difernt home perfctly fine. allso a novice dog owner should not be given a difficult dog. Thats why its important to go to a good breed rescue who do home checks and fully assecs there dogs usualy buy having them fosterd as it gives you a much beter idea of what the dog and new owner need. But percentge wise greyhounds are one of the most carm gental submisve breeds there are.

unlike mist owners I have delibataratly taken on a coupe of very difficuit dogs and with a lot of hard work an traning I can take them out with my others were ever I go But I wouldnt never recomed that to an inexperianced owner I have had sighthound for 20 years nowand aswell as my own have fosterd loeads aswell.

I still think at the end of the day its fineding a good rescue thats the key to sucses

fallenangel said:
I have seen loead of greyhounds and lurchers ome into recued that were dificult for there first owners and in a difernt home perfctly fine. allso a novice dog owner should not be given a difficult dog. Thats why its important to go to a good breed rescue who do home checks and fully assecs there dogs usualy buy having them fosterd as it gives you a much beter idea of what the dog and new owner need. But percentge wise greyhounds are one of the most carm gental submisve breeds there are.  unlike mist owners I have delibataratly taken on a coupe of very difficuit dogs and with a lot of hard work an traning I can take them out with my others were ever I go But I wouldnt never recomed that to an inexperianced owner I have had sighthound for 20 years nowand aswell as my own have fosterd loeads aswell.

I still think at the end of the day its fineding a good rescue thats the key to sucses

i just pick up the poo in the back :- " :lol: and do as i'm told (most of the times :- " )

Tony(fallen angels oh)

Doobryfirkin said:
fallenangel said:
I have seen loead of greyhounds and lurchers ome into recued that were dificult for there first owners and in a difernt home perfctly fine. allso a novice dog owner should not be given a difficult dog. Thats why its important to go to a good breed rescue who do home checks and fully assecs there dogs usualy buy having them fosterd as it gives you a much beter idea of what the dog and new owner need. But percentge wise greyhounds are one of the most carm gental submisve breeds there are.   unlike mist owners I have delibataratly taken on a coupe of very difficuit dogs and with a lot of hard work an traning I can take them out with my others were ever I go But I wouldnt never recomed that to an inexperianced owner I have had sighthound for 20 years nowand aswell as my own have fosterd loeads aswell.

i just pick up the poo in the back :- " :lol: and do as i'm told (most of the times :- " )

Tony(fallen angels oh)

Hmmm, my OH is the same!! (w00t)

I know that my Nana is only half greyhound, but on the subject of different homes, she came from a dog pound and tried out 3 different famillies before she came to us. They said that she was untrainable and uncontrolable. We were really lucky and hit it off really well with her and she now competes in (and wins) obedience competitions. So I think that some dogs just get on with some people and not others. Just because a dog has been sent back to a rescue centre doesn't mean that they will be a problem with everyone.

Good luck with finding your perfect grey :luck:

Back