The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Living With A Rescue Greyhound...

IWLass

Registered
Reaction score
As I said in my intro - I would love to adopt a rescue greyh'd one day and have done loads of research into the breed and taking on a rescue already - but still have some questions :- "

In particular, I am keen to hear about greys that have been rehomed with an established dog of a different breed, as I have a cocker spaniel. Obviously, any grey I rescue would need to have been tested with other breeds; but I also wondered about other things, like exercising them together? I know that at first, it is best to exercise a grey on-lead; but I would also be keen to take them out together as soon as possible - would this mean keeping my cocker leashed too? Would it be "cruel" to allow one dog off lead exercise and keep the Grey on-lead?

On a similar subject; has anyone successfully trained recall in a Grey using a long-line - or does their burst of speed prevent this being an option?

I'm sure I'll think of more - and would appreciate hearing about anyones experiences....thanks :)

Well done for considering a rescue gh, they are the most amazing dogs (well, I am slightly biased!) :thumbsup:

Most greys are so laid back that if properly introduced, they will get on with almost all dogs. Mine llike all dogs except staffies (because they were attacked) and dachsunds (don't know why). They also get on really well with my cats!

I would imagine exercising two breeds together would be fine. A lot of people on here have more than one breed eg, greys and whippets (oliverpliers) or IGs and whippets and labradors (Zilloot). My boys stay on lead except in totally enclosed areas (ones which I have checked and know to be secure). I don't think you would necessarily need to keep your cocker on a lead - especially if it is used to being off lead.

As for long line training, I haven't done it, but I reckon you could do it, especially if the grey had already had a long walk / run in the garden / run in an enclosed space. The initial speed burst is very short and then they are quite happy to plod alongside you. If you have an older grey (Max was 4 and a half when we had him) then chances are they will be a lot calmer than a younger dog. Although be prepared for a second puppyhood if your dog is an ex-racer. Tiny is a puppy anyway, but Max has suddenly learned how to play etc - it's brilliant to watch him.

Sorry this is an epic, but I could go on forever. Feel free to ask loads more questions!! You'll get loads of advice on here. :)

Good luck with your search... :luck:

Hello!! :)

As Claire said, I've got 2 ex-racing greyhounds. They're very different characters and behave differently off lead. They have recall, but if there's anything around to distract them then forget it! Distractions can be anything from a rabbit to another dog to just knowing it's time to go home. :- "

They're both fantastic with other dogs but I couldn't trust them with cats and small furries. I've had 2 whippet pups since getting my greyhounds and, despite being unimpressed with the small bundles, they haven't really taken any notice of the pups till they're big enough to play with. My mum has a spinger spaniel and they get on brilliantly with her - in fact, Claire and Cassie are bestest mates! :wub:

Neither of them knew how to play when they arrived. While Claire has mastered the art, Freddie is still very awkward and is known to stop more games than anything! They love running whether it's round the garden or out on a walk.

Indoors, they are complete couch potatoes! Freddie is exhausted if he doesn't get his 23 hours sleep a day. Claire is much more energetic but still needs a good 21/22 hours.

Freddie does have personal space issues although this has greatly improved since he first arrived. He is still known to warn off anyone even remotely possibly thinking about joining him on the sofa although it's ok for him to join them! :rolleyes: If he's out of order with this I tell him but otherwise I let the dogs sort themselves out. He's really the soppiest dopiest creature on this planet! o:) :wub:

Things to consider:

1) If the dog has come straight from kennels then there may be toilet training issues to consider. Even a dog that's been clean in his/her kennel will have to make some adjustments to home living. Expect accidents for the 1st 2 to 3 weeks while the dog learns your routine and you get to know your dog. (It's amazing how quickly a small lake can appear from a greyhound! (w00t) )

2) Feed them at a raised height in order to minimise the risk of bloat/gastric torsion. This is when too much air has been taken in while feeding and the stomach, unable to process the mix of food and air, twists on itself. If not dealt with in good time the dog will die in great pain.

3) You will lose all rights to your sofa! A large greyhound will spend much of its time on its back, legs in the air, and can easily cover a 3 seater sofa!!

4) Expect really bad jokes from perfect strangers about racing your greyhounds and "getting them to pull a sledge so you don't have to walk".

5) Expect a cold nose up your bum first thing in the morning, every morning! Chances are this will not be your other half!!

6) If you have a youngish greyhound, or one who's a bit of a thief, then remember that when they are on their hind legs they are very tall dogs! They will be able to reach things you thought were safely out of reach. Anything on a coffee table or at nose height will be considered fair game!

7) Their skin is thin and can tear easily. You will soon learn which gashes to clean and leave to heal on their own and which require vet attention. If you run to the vet every time they get a cut, you will be bankrupt within a year! :thumbsup:

8 ) Some are complete wusses and will scream if your foot lands within 2 inches of theirs. Claire's Tiny is scared of plastic bags, for instance! :rolleyes: :lol:

9) Many greyhounds have successfully become PAT (Pets as Therapy) dogs.

10) Invest in a gas mask - you'll find out why! (w00t) :x

11) Prepare to fall deeply and everlastingly in love! :wub: :wub:

Well I'm glad I haven't rambled on! :- " :b Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

oliverpliers said:
As Claire said, I've got 2 ex-racing greyhounds. They're very different characters and behave differently off lead. They have recall, but if there's anything around to distract them then forget it! Distractions can be anything from a rabbit to another dog to just knowing it's time to go home. :- "

They're both fantastic with other dogs but I couldn't trust them with cats and small furries. I've had 2 whippet pups since getting my greyhounds and, despite being unimpressed with the small bundles, they haven't really taken any notice of the pups till they're big enough to play with. My mum has a spinger spaniel and they get on brilliantly with her - in fact, Claire and Cassie are bestest mates! :wub:  

Neither of them knew how to play when they arrived. While Claire has mastered the art, Freddie is still very awkward and is known to stop more games than anything! They love running whether it's round the garden or out on a walk.

Indoors, they are complete couch potatoes! Freddie is exhausted if he doesn't get his 23 hours sleep a day. Claire is much more energetic but still needs a good 21/22 hours.

Freddie does have personal space issues although this has greatly improved since he first arrived. He is still known to warn off anyone even remotely possibly thinking about joining him on the sofa although it's ok for him to join them! :rolleyes: If he's out of order with this I tell him but otherwise I let the dogs sort themselves out. He's really the soppiest dopiest creature on this planet! o:)   :wub:

Things to consider:

1) If the dog has come straight from kennels then there may be toilet training issues to consider. Even a dog that's been clean in his/her kennel will have to make some adjustments to home living. Expect accidents for the 1st 2 to 3 weeks while the dog learns your routine and you get to know your dog. (It's amazing how quickly a small lake can appear from a greyhound! (w00t) )

2) Feed them at a raised height in order to minimise the risk of bloat/gastric torsion. This is when too much air has been taken in while feeding and the stomach, unable to process the mix of food and air, twists on itself. If not dealt with in good time the dog will die in great pain.

3) You will lose all rights to your sofa! A large greyhound will spend much of its time on its back, legs in the air, and can easily cover a 3 seater sofa!!

4) Expect really bad jokes from perfect strangers about racing your greyhounds and "getting them to pull a sledge so you don't have to walk".

5) Expect a cold nose up your bum first thing in the morning, every morning! Chances are this will not be your other half!!

6) If you have a youngish greyhound, or one who's a bit of a thief, then remember that when they are on their hind legs they are very tall dogs! They will be able to reach things you thought were safely out of reach. Anything on a coffee table or at nose height will be considered fair game!

7) Their skin is thin and can tear easily. You will soon learn which gashes to clean and leave to heal on their own and which require vet attention. If you run to the vet every time they get a cut, you will be bankrupt within a year! :thumbsup:

8 ) Some are complete wusses and will scream if your foot lands within 2 inches of theirs. Claire's Tiny is scared of plastic bags, for instance! :rolleyes: :lol:

10) Invest in a gas mask - you'll find out why! (w00t)   :x

11) Prepare to fall deeply and everlastingly in love! :wub:   :wub:  

Well I'm glad I haven't rambled on! :- "  :b Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Beautiful dogs & a worthwhile venture-good for u. One problem I have heard of tho is the possible effect on the local cat population. Had a pal who rescued 2 at the same time, both were beautiful family dogs but 1 chased local cats from the garden to the point of killing several. After a lot of hearbreak, the dog eventally had to returned to the rescue centre. This can obviously be a problem with animals which have been trained to chase small furry things but dont be put off, all dogs are different & as long as you have done your research and are prepared to give a little time & patience youll never look back. GHs are a bit big for me so I prefer whippets. Unfortunately there were none that needed resueing where I live otherwise I would never have bought a puppy. There are always lovely dogs looking for lovely homes, best of luck & keep us posted.

oliverpliers said:

10) Invest in a gas mask - you'll find out why! (w00t) :x

11) Prepare to fall deeply and everlastingly in love! :wub: :wub:
Beautiful dogs & a worthwhile venture-good for u. One problem I have heard of tho is the possible effect on the local cat population. Had a pal who rescued 2 at the same time, both were beautiful family dogs but 1 chased local cats from the garden to the point of killing several.

Also, they do have a tendancy to chew (or at least mine do - shoes, toys etc) And yes, they can hav major wind - although I guess it depends what you feed them.

Be prepared for everything to take three times as long as before. You have to allow for getting dressed (their mulitude of coats) and people stopping you every 20m, mostly to say how lovely they are, but the occasional one will jump down your throat and say "your dogs are skinny" or "you're cruel racing them" or whatever. But I have found if you spend a bit of time explaining, most of them simmer down.

Yes, some dogs will chase cats, but mine have shown no interest in mine in the house and in the street the best they can manage is a bit or a squeal. :)

And you will definitely fall in love - every single day - to the point of obsession (in case you hadn't noticed!) :teehee:

And, yes Tiny is scared of plastic bags, and leaves, wind, the dark, and practically everything else. :- " But he is a gorgeous baby and I wouldn't swap him.

Also, it takes a while to realise they are more sturdy than they look. When I first had mine every time they bumped themselves I was in panic mode, but now I just take a quick look and tell them not to be so silly (unless it is qenuinely serious of course). :lol:

My greyhound William although not a rescue or a racer lives happily with my 5 whippets and my gsd

He is fine with other dogs he goes to ringcraft most weeks were he is quite happy being with other dogs small or large although some do tend to be frightened of him as he is so big

William does play and is regulary allowed to free run at our local park it is only tiny with only one entrance which I make sure is closed he runs with one or two of my male whippets and does tend to chase them although they quickly learnt that if they run in circles or zig zag across the field he can't catch them

William is nearly two and a half so is really still a baby he came to us at 8 1/5 months and had been in kennels we did find teaching him to go outside was a problem as he wouldn't wee were he could smell my other males this didn't take long to resolve

But as the others have said beware of the greyhound death scream which can occur for little or no reason William only has to see the claw cutters and the neighbours must think I'm murdering the poor dog (w00t)

But he is the most loving dog you could wish for although he does think he's a lap dog

Empty tennis courts etc are great for running around in! (w00t) Assuming the nets are down of course.

Thanks for all the replies - it is really postive to hear how wonderfu lthese beautifu dogs are as family companions :)

I didn't know about feeding them in a raise bowl, but that shouldn't be a problem - and I used tennis courts a lot when my spaniel was little, so know where I can find some open spaces ;)

I'm sure I'll think of lots more - maybe I could find some local to me to introduce to my OH - to convince him that they are gorgeous after all :- "

I would only add that they each have their own characters. I have a greyhound who is a bit funny about non-greyhounds, but the other is fine.

I would also would not recommend putting a greyhound on a long lead. Definately not a retractable lead. A lot of nasty accidents have happened when greyhounds have run at speed to the end of the leads. I know some of you will say that they have no problems, but it is best to be careful.

We are addicted to greyhounds, and are shortly going to have 3 at home again, and can't imagine owning any other breed of dog.

Cerito

PS It is easy to raise a food bowl by placing it on a step, or fitting a large bowl in the top of a bucket.

Cerito said:
I would also would not recommend putting a greyhound on a long lead.  Definately not a retractable lead.  A lot of nasty accidents have happened when greyhounds have run at speed to the end of the leads.  I know some of you will say that they have no problems, but it is best to be careful.
I did say only do long lead training after a long walk or run around. I probably should have added that it can be dangerous if they try to run to the end of the lead!

You can get ergonomic feeders from most pet shops. :)

Whereabouts are you IWlass?

I have 5 rescue greyhounds 2 whippets and a lurcher and the best advice is go to a good sighthound rescues not a genrall dog rescue you want one that does home checks to match the rights greyhound with the dog you allready have.

Most gennral dog rescue say greyhounds carnt live in homes with other breeds or cats and need lots of exscersies but its not true its just matching the wright dogs to the right home.

there a very gental breed with a wicked sence of humer when they settle with you if you take your time with them there the best

wendy

fallenangel said:
I have 5 rescue greyhounds 2 whippets and a lurcher and the best advice is go to a good sighthound rescues not a genrall dog rescue you  want one that does home checks to match the rights greyhound with the dog you allready have.  Most gennral dog rescue say greyhounds carnt live in homes with other breeds or cats and need lots of exscersies but its not true its just matching the wright dogs to the right home.

there a very gental breed with a wicked sence of humer when they settle with you if you take your time with them  there the best

wendy

Definitely agree with that!! There are loads of sight hound specific rescues to choose from. Both of mine came from Whitelodge.

Last edited by a moderator:
clare at white lodge is good and nows what shes doing fined a rescue in your aira there are a lot just put greyhound rescue in search you will be supprised

Hmmmmm Rescue greyhound....

where do I start...

a lot of the valid ones have been covered..

Loss of sofa

farts

thieving

they can be possesive of furniture till they learn they have to share, I suppose this is coming from having nothing to having something then having to share it with someone...

a greyhound will fit ona 2-seater sofa with a person,

there is a fine art to how to fold a greyhound up but I have mastered this now and me and Flora regularly kip on the sofa together

IM001628.jpg

I would happily get another greyhound, the only pain is the "singing" but then different things trigger different songs...

you eventually learn which means wee, which means theres someone on the sofa where I want to be

good luck you wont regret it for a moment

out of 8 greyhounds I have onwed and the and the ones I have fosterd well in to doubel figers if not trebbel I can hoistly say the girls dont fat as much as the lads and a dolp of live yogert on there food soon extinguishes the problem sisning aswell Iv only had 2 myself that sing shelby who sings with me and cally whos the chattyest greyhound I have ever met and comparier to other breeds I would say there basical mute well all 8 of my dogs carnt match the yorkshire terrorist gob next door in leaval or freakancy of barking.

the sofa thing is pritty easy to got sorted from the start when you want to sit down make the dog get down and they soon larn hows in charge O delibratly move each of my dogs off the sofa just for a mint or 2 and sit down every day and we have no problems. I think the mail trick is not to let them big brown eyes fool you into thinking there upset ir garf done buy :lol:

I think singing would worry me a bit - I live in a semi, so a very vocal dog might destry the fragile relationship we do have with our neighbours ;) Mind you, some cocker spaniels I know are rowdy, but Molo isn't - obviously they all have their own temperments a foibles :))

It sounds to me like you need a nice quiet "first-time" greyhound. I do greyhound rescue in Ireland and refer to my home as sanctuary, as the dogs get exposed to a home environment. I am very careful about adoptions as I want them to work well and not have to take the dog back due to an inappropriate homing.

If you can get a greyhound which has been fostered in a home environment rather than living in a kennel, you will know a lot more about the dog before adopting it.

Visit several greyhounds so that you can compare and reflect. They vary widely - right now I have a boisterous 18 month old giant (90 pounds) who is gentle as a lamb with very small children, and then a tiny quiet little girl greyhound who won't take any guff from the others.

The farting people refer to can be helped quite a bit according to what food you buy and also feeding yogurt.

They don't all sing. I can stand out in the yard and start howling and several will join in, but others just stand there and wait until the horror of it all is over.I have 13 greyhounds here, 2 sloughis, and a wolfhound.

The thieving? - here, some of them do it and some could care less. It depends on the dog. Generally I have found that the younger ones are "collectors" - they steal things from inside the house and take them outside to a special area where they like to play and lie in the sun.

Every year, tens of thousands of greyhounds are put to sleep or inhumanely killed because they are no longer wanted for racing or breeding. The one you adopt will be one of the few lucky greyhounds out of all those thousands.

Let us know when you make your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
IWLass said:
I think singing would worry me a bit - I live in a semi, so a very vocal dog might destry the fragile relationship we do have with our neighbours ;)   Mind you, some cocker spaniels I know are rowdy, but Molo isn't - obviously they all have their own temperments a foibles  :))
Oh, no, don't let that put you off. It's more like chuntering and talking on the whole, it's not usually that loud - unless you stand on them, then they let you know about it. It's actually really nice. I talk to my boys all the time and they talk back!

I live in a semi and my neighbours have never complained.

The wind problem - bio yoghurt helps no end. When I first got my boys they gassed us, but I fed them a healthy diet and gave them bio yoghurt and it has settled right down. :)

Speak to MJ (Wolfhound), she really knows her stuff - she fostered Tiny for 5 months before I had him and he is a star. :wub: :thumbsup: (there are some pictures of what he looked like to start with and how he ended up looking after MJ had him - Clairej810's Tiny

wolfhound said:
It sounds to me like you need a nice quiet "first-time" greyhound. I do greyhound rescue in Ireland and refer to my home as  sanctuary, as the dogs get exposed to a home environment. I am very careful about adoptions as I want them to work well and not have to take the dog back due to an inappropriate homing.
If you can get a greyhound which has been fostered in a home environment rather than living in a kennel, you will know a lot more about the dog before adopting it.

Visit several greyhounds so that you can compare and reflect. They vary widely - right now I have a boisterous 18 month old giant (90 pounds) who is gentle as a lamb with very small children, and then a tiny quiet little girl greyhound who won't take any guff from the others.
Thank you so much - this is really helpful advise :) I agree, I think a nice "first-time" greyhound sounds perfect - I have located two or three charities near me, so will hopefully convince my OH to go visiting with me soon.

I noticed that occasionally, there are greyhounds which have been previously homed up for adoption a second time; because their home cicumstances have changed. I wondered if this might be a good way of finding out a bit about their temperment and foibbles - are they quite adaptable as a breed, or do they generally tend take a while to settle ? As we have another dog and a lively 5 yr old, I don't know if a change from one home to another would be more unsettling; as the dog would have already adapted once from kennels to a home environment :)

I have also been told that I may not be considered by some rescue charities as my existing (2 yr old) dog is entire. I accept entirely that any greyhound I adopt will be neutered - but do Greyhound charities insist on established dogs also being done? It is not something that I have felt necesary up until now; but if his behaviour or health required it I would obviously have it carried out.

Thanks again to all for your help and advice :)

Back