The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Living With A Cat!

sophie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone out there who's got a successful whippet/ cat domestic situation?

I have a puppy - 11 weeks - who chases our cat whenever he sees her. The cat races upstairs - and at the moment the puppy can't follow.

I really am at a loss as to how to handle this one. I think the cat would scratch and hiss if cornered, but I'm not sure, and I don't want the puppy hurt! he's intrigued and playful: she's furious and scared.

ANY TIPS AT ALL would be welcome. ANY positive stories too! :- "

Hi Sophie,

I have the same problem altho my 2 Lurchers are 16 & 6 months old and they chase my 4 cats at every available opportunity. Someone suggested squirting them in the face with a water pistol every time they go after them but not sure that would work especially as they move a good deal faster than I can!

You could try using a crate to get your pup used to the cat being part of the family. Put the pup in the crate & I expect your cat will thoroughly enjoy sitting on it or next to it. Also if you can sit down near the cat with the pup on a lead so you can stop him lunging at it that may help to introduce them without any harm coming to pup or cat.

I will be very interested to hear other suggestions as my cats now live on top of cupboards & the cat tree in the bathroom and they deserve a better life. I don't have the space for crates or I would certainly have tried that method.

We had this problem too,and still do to a certain degree.Our two pups when outside would chase Archie (the cat) but I just roar at them and it stops them dead in their tracks! :lol: I can now just say to them "leave him alone" and they seem to know what it means as they oblige,although sometimes do need to be told more than once! :b

Our older Whippets never bother with him at all,but did as pups,I think it's something they grow out of in time but do still need to be taught what is acceptable and what's not. Funny though they don't bother with him in the house,it's outside that the problem arises especially if Archie runs (w00t)

Saying that though,they are'nt out to kill him!! only a bit of rough & tumble.

We have a 6yr old lurcher who is great with the cats, a 5yr bedligton who is a real pain and chases them whenever he can & a 6mth lurcher pup who is not quite sure which of the others to copy. Every dog has gone into an indoor crate at first. The cats know which dog to avoid but so far only one of them has left home and gone to live 2 doors away. It's too late to alter the beddys behaviour now but if the pup chases then we have a plant spray to squirt her with. The oldest cat is about 12 and won't stand any messing so pup is learning how far she can go. Hopefully things will settle down with your lot in time.

Scrumpy & Baggins in a peaceful moment

This one is really easy! get rid of your cats! more space for dogs then.

Loopy said:
Hi Sophie,I have the same problem altho my 2 Lurchers are 16 & 6 months old and they chase my 4 cats at every available opportunity. Someone suggested squirting them in the face with a water pistol every time they go after them but not sure that would work especially as they move a good deal faster than I can!

You could try using a crate to get your pup used to the cat being part of the family. Put the pup in the crate & I expect your cat will thoroughly enjoy sitting on it or next to it. Also if you can sit down near the cat with the pup on a lead so you can stop him lunging at it that may help to introduce them without any harm coming to pup or cat.

I will be very interested to hear other suggestions as my cats now live on top of cupboards & the cat tree in the bathroom and they deserve a better life. I don't have the space for crates or I would certainly have tried that method.

we do have a crate, which kind of works but the problem arise the minute he's out of the crate!! And the cat still doesn't dare go into the room with the crate in it!!! Maybe it's just a question of patience...from other replies it looks like it might be!!

05whippet said:
We had this problem too,and still do to a certain degree.Our two pups when outside would chase Archie (the cat) but I just roar at them and it stops them dead in their tracks! :lol:   I can now just say to them "leave him alone" and they seem to know what it means as they oblige,although sometimes do need to be told more than once! :b
Our older Whippets never bother with him at all,but did as pups,I think it's something they grow out of in time but do still need to be taught what is acceptable and what's not. Funny though they don't bother with him in the house,it's outside that the problem arises especially if Archie runs  (w00t)

Saying that though,they are'nt out to kill him!! only a bit of rough & tumble.

thanks for this... My great fear is a DEAD cat! But I suspect it's that the puppy wants to play..not much else...

Loopy said:
Hi Sophie,I have the same problem altho my 2 Lurchers are 16 & 6 months old and they chase my 4 cats at every available opportunity. Someone suggested squirting them in the face with a water pistol every time they go after them but not sure that would work especially as they move a good deal faster than I can!

you'd also need a water gun on a holster at the ready (impractical). I YELL as loud as I can, but it's the cat who freaks at that rather than the puppy!! And the cat is only having half a life - spent under beds, on top of wardrobes etc, exactly as you suggest. Ah well, I'll keep up the yelling for now!!!

Hi Sophie, I've got Siamese Cats and rescue cats with my lurcher and whippets, the dogs need to learn the boundaries which can be difficult when the cat runs and pup wants to chase. My 2 adult whippets are scared of the more assertive cats and cuddle up with the easy going loving ones. I also have 2 five month old whippets who are obviously very playful and will give chase when they can but I have been using a firm 'NO' if they do chase, but I do find in the evening when everyone is walked and fed and more relaxed is the best time to get the cats on your lap and sit next to the pup - in fact at the moment I have the 2 pups on the settee and one of my cats laying between them, the cat and one pup nose to nose. Although they are cuddled up together I would never leave the puppies unsupervised with the cats incase they got too playful and the cat didn't defend itself, a more mature cat will often lash out to. a playful pup but you don't want to cause friction, although a young pup will learn easily if put in its place by a hissing cat. It does take time -hope this helps.

I have 3 whippets and a cat she 12, they do tend to chase her when she's outside but she just jumps on the fence and laughs at them,they've never hurt her and they all live happily in the house together, she can't be bothered with them to be honest it's way beneath her :* , although she does walk past them waveing her tail in their face just to torment them I think :p because she knows they aren't allowed to chase her while we are there :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear Cats know that they (in their opinion) are far smarter than dogs.

Archie now has taken to sitting on the roof of our house (we have a Bungalow) and hooks out bits of dirt and moss from the guttering and then flicks it at the dogs (w00t) they have no idea where this is coming from and it is hilarious to see the looks on their faces when he makes contact :lol:

In the house too he sits on the kitchen chairs and as the dogs go past he smacks them about the back of their heads,they are all, pups included here,petrified of him in the house because he also lies in wait for them getting a drink of water etc and as they go past he launches himself at them, so now the dogs if they see him and they are going to get a drink,they will actually just turn round and get back up on the sofa until he clears off. So you tell me who rules the roost in this house :- "

I don't have cats and never will but thats a different debate all together! I have ferrets though and my dogs work alongside them, they have to be perfectly behaved with them, one bite and a ferret would be dead.

When the dog is young show it to ferret/ cat and hold it tight, when the dog lunges for the cat/ ferret you restrain it say no loudly and tap its nose or grip it hard by the scruff.

Repeat process often and reward dog when it leaves alone and very quickly you have a ferret/ cat friendly dog :cheers:

Allow them to feed out of same bowl this can help them develop a bond

The thing to remember is that the puppy wants to play and the cat doesn't, it won't take much more than a couple of bloody noses for a puppy to learn to leave well alone!

Sophie, heres another pic to prove that it does work. Scrumpy has spent all day being really bad (w00t) & chasing (& grabbing) the cats. She has been scratched by the oldest cat and shouted at by me (LOTS) & then all of a sudden....... PEACE o:)

I have tried flicking water from the tap at my 2 lurchers when they are chasing the cats (near a tap) and it seems to work! I reinforced it with saying LEAVE at the same time so hopefully they will associate 'leave' with getting splashed.

I don't know why it should stop them as Zef especially loves water especially in the form of deep muddy puddles :)) but it does appear to work and they don't seem to realise where the water is coming from!

Guess what I will have in my stocking? (from the cats) A water pistol & holster!

There is still a long way to go before they stop chasing altogether but it's worth trying with your pup Sophie.

Back