The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Literally grrrrr

COLLIEKATE

Registered
Reaction score
Im about to have a bit of a rant be warned.

Today I have officially stopped looking for a dog. We decided sometime ago that we didnt want a puppy but would look into rehoming. After months I now know why the average private rehome age of a dog is around 6-18 months. Its at this age the novelty of a puppy has worn off and the cute little fluff ball is now huge but still thinks its a cute little fluff ball. When it pulled on the lead at 3 months it was fine, however it can now dislocate your shoulder. When it jumped all over you at 4 months this was okay because the dog was still a puppy, again when it does it now while your eating your tea its not so funny. Seriously I could go on and on. Then there's the gall of the owners who advise me they are selling due to a change in circumstances. 'Yes youve had a change in circumstances, you've realised your not a dog trainer!' Then expect me to pay exactly what you paid for the dog! Ihink about it like a pair of shoes. I have worn them in all weathers and the soles are falling off but due to sentimental reasons I want you to buy them at the £50 I paid for them!

Wake up and smell the dog doo. Train your dog. Take some responsibility and do it now because then you wont have to lie and in effect steal money if your circumstances do ever change and I promise then if you really car eyou will find the best ever new home for thay little cute ball of fluff. After all thats what they deserved in the first place!

Rant over!

What I cant understand is when they say its being rehomed due to change in circumstances then expect to be paid at all. I know to me if I ever had to rehome my dogs, (and I will say I cant think why I would have to), the only thing I would be interested in is getting them into a good home I just wouldn't think about charging. That said I also wouldn't dream of advertising them on the internet.

I was beginng to think I was the only one Biker John. Fair enough I get the whole donation to prevent the dog baiters ( which is rarer than most would belive I think) but really 400-500 for a ruined dog??. And thanks excuseme that really is how I felt after posting.

Just a note im happy to pay for a dog! Just in case anyone thought I was after aperfectly trained dog for nothing. But there no such thing as perfect basics to build one would be good though.

End of the day buying a recue dog is at times like buying a 2nd hand car isn't it??? Right let me explain and it could be luck on the car, In car I take my bestie pal who's a mechanic so in over 30 yrs driving in a car I've never broke down, now when u get a dog at 6 months if you don't know what your looking for then you could get trouble, ok I've had some luck I suppose and may it continue but the brindle in my avatar was a 6 month rescue who had a few problem that wasn't hard to overcome with love , correctness , training and of all patience , but that only from my own dealing with dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree it does seem down to luck lurcherman but hey ive stopped playing the lottery too.

It really bothers me when people do absolutely no training at all with their dog and then complain that they're badly behaved and give up on them, it's heartbreaking. The dog didn't ask for any of it. In my view when you take on an animal you are fully responsible for that animals welfare for its entire life. I can't see any circumstances in which I would have to give up any of my animals but if I did find myself unable to care for them anymore, and it was in their best interest to find a new home, I would ensure I found the very best home for them and certainly wouldn't want any money for them.

Happy paws,, I agree totally with you on the training, but at times there are dogs that will not and I repeat will not train, I've been lucky with all my dogs with very little training so I'm happy, the training starts at a very early age with repeat training.

LHappyPaws I have no problem with people rehoming. I appreciate some people s circumstances do change beyond their control I also have no problem paying for a dog what I object to is advert telling me no time wasters but is fine for me to travel several hours to have my time wasted.

As to training over many years I've noticed that when people have a 'problem dog' most of the time every dog they get has the same problems. Obviously their are exceptions but in general I am sure the problems come from the human more often than the dog.

That's what I'm saying john. A bit of honesty in the first place would be great.

Back