The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Line Breeding

jayp said:
Heres a radical thought,  why dosnt every whippet breeder who is concerned about the genetic future of the breed and there are lots out there, ask their breed clubs (as a member) if a single database can be set up which enables breeders to simply request the COI of a given dog. It would need to be a single database rather than everyone struggling to do their own.  These COI s would then be FACT for all to consider, when doing your own there is the danger of mistakes being made in the input file.

If enough people lobby the breed clubs in this request it could be taken to Breed Council and from there to the KC if agreed

If the KC are not forthcoming then maybe Breed Council could provide this as a sevice to breeders and the results published annually

It dosnt really help matters if some are doing COI s  to 8 generations, some to 10 the results will be variable.

The computer cannot be wrong but the data put into it is open to human error

If there is one database all will be calculated using the same format to the same no of generations

As seen in TWA as wonderful as it is if everone is able to add data mistakes can be made

If you are a member of a Breed Club then make this request in writing if possible to be discussed at their next meeting

Breed clubs are there to help their members and im sure it would make for some very interesting meetings!!!!!!!

I do belive theNGRC have on e for their greyhounds , but :huggles: good idea Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to the original post, I can't think of any good reason why anyone would need to breed a bitch back to her sire - whippets are far from an endangered species! :- "

jayp said:
Heres a radical thought,  why dosnt every whippet breeder who is concerned about the genetic future of the breed and there are lots out there, ask their breed clubs (as a member) if a single database can be set up which enables breeders to simply request the COI of a given dog. 

If they were capable handling such a data base it would be great. But in any case the original data would have to come from somewhere and I am unable to get one dog that is in the 4th generation of still living dog! She is a grandmother of my last litter. I tried our KC and they would not give me the info because of privacy legislation. I tried KC in another state, when I heard they actually advertise they will for a fee issue 5 generation pedigree. The lady I dealt with was lot more friendly than our KC, but also told me she cannot do that as when she prints it out, the name and address of the owner is there. I thought I have nothing to loose and asked if she can just block out the name and address. She came back saying; "Sorry, I tried, but that dog is not in the national data base".

Maybe better option would be to work with TWA. In this moment it is not always accurate, but that could be fixed. Maybe we need to get some dedicated volunteers to check the entries against KC issued pedigrees. Once the data is verified this person would be able to lock it so it cannot be altered, and it would get a little mark to indicate it is certified.

Back