The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Lessons learned - if we are to do this again...

Ari_RR

Registered
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking - if you were to start again, with a puppy - what lessons have you learned which can be applied?
What would you do differently, what would you do that you haven't done at all?

We are not yet close to bringing another puppy, but I am starting to think what it would be like.... Hoping that we've learned something with Ari, which would make things easier and more successful.

Thoughts?

If I'm honest,I wouldn't change my approach to training a pup. I know how I've been shown by my father and grandad arent the modern ways of doing things. All I've known all my life are working lurchers and terriers. We always had good well balanced dogs,so if it ain't broke,why try to fix it.
You will find out next year if all goes to plan. I'm going to be getting two lurcher pups. That is if I can find the right pups,there lies the first challenge. O, and I'm going to have to borrow some ferrets to help with the training. So watch this space next year.

For me... I would use positive, reward-based calm training from day 1. I would never lose my temper with the pup, or feel I had to impose my will at all costs.

I would understand that management of an issue isn't a cop-out, but often the first, and most important, step in 'fixing' the issue.

I would understand the importance of listening to your pup's opinion, and letting him know that it has been heard, understood and considered, even if I need to overrule him. Communication should be two-way, with him 'saying' as much to me as I do to him.

I would have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference ;)

Though no doubt, just like children, the next pup will have read a completely different rule book to Jasper and I'l have to unlearn a lot that I've learnt with him

Well OH and I chose Murphy because this was our last chance at having a pup that would be ours from day 1. With OH's ever worsening health the chances are Murphy will outlive him.
So Id have to say lesson learned...Im not a puppy person.
Thats sounds really mean and I love the whole cute squishy furry bundle idea ....for about 10 minutes.
But my real joy with Murphy has been as he developed into a proper dog dog. The running fetching swimming yes even the hunting I love it. The hours of walking the squishing in mud..Its me.

So what Ive learned is should I ever have another dog in the years to come he will be another rescue, someone who needs me and the home I can offer..

( having read that back it sounds depressing ,,,its not its just I love dogs and children when they are a bit older)

I'm also not a great lover of the puppy stage. What would I do differently? Not much to be honest. I'd be far more careful what veterinary pharmaceuticals I allowed them to have but Harri has turned out an absolute sweetheart (if a bit of a monkey but that is part of being a Welshie).

Training wise his only real "fault" is a disinclination to listen and when he does he'll weigh up whether or not he wants to obey and then do what he wants! Other than totally crush his spirit it's a trait I have to work with rather than against.

I can’t see me having another puppy, it’s soooo stressful, Roxy was a nightmare and when we had Spike when she was 4 I also had my sons puppy to look after and train for part of the day so that I think has turned me off lol. I think I would go for an older rescue next time, we definitely couldn’t have a puppy with Spike, for a dog that is so easy going he really doesn’t like puppies:(. But I’ve digressed again lol. No I wouldn’t change the way I trained my dogs, all I expected from them was to sit, stay and come when called, other than that they were treated the same as my kids.

I used to prefer fostering pups as i found them easy ...i am lucky that i have 2 lurchers that adore puppies ...
I love puppies and have had pups and rescue ....positive reinforcement every time

I got my first puppy in the December of one of the wettest winters on record - not ideal for house training, so next time I'd plan the weather better. I wish I'd read "The Other End of the Leash" when he was a puppy so I'd have understood him better, wish I'd not compared him adversely with more naturally obedient breeds, wish I'd realised he wasn't being naughty just to annoy me! I'm amazed he's put up with me and turned out such a lovely dog.

At my rather advanced age it is unlikely I will ever have another dog, let alone a puppy. Rather a sad thought really.

I would worry less and maybe try to be a bit calmer when trying to redirect his behaviour. I also would have read more into the adolescent phase of dogs as I was completely unprepared for that one. Teddy is now exactly 1 year old and a complete Kevin the teenager. He is lovely, well-mannered an then will do something completely narky out of the blue. E.g. this morning I was putting him into the car to go for a walk and he slipped my hand and decided to start play -bowing and staying just out of my reach so I couldn't put him in the car lol. He doesn't mind the car and travels really well. Or he'll decide to have a punch-up with a loaf of bread at 1am. Not a noise before or after and he sleeps all night without a peep.

I wouldn't change anything, i would definitely love another pup but Rolo is going to be nearly 3, from all the dogs I've owned Rolo is the hardest!
I always do the gentle approach with my pups never raised a voice at any, they've grown up to be happy boy's.

Hypothetically speaking - if you were to start again, with a puppy - what lessons have you learned which can be applied?
What would you do differently, what would you do that you haven't done at all?

We are not yet close to bringing another puppy, but I am starting to think what it would be like.... Hoping that we've learned something with Ari, which would make things easier and more successful.

Thoughts?

If I was to have a puppy again I would reserve a place with a good trainer in group class. Although I went to the wrong trainer I was very fortunate to find a good club and got me on the straight and narrow with my golden retriever. I made a big mistake by putting towels done so no accident on the floor. Big mistake anything of that colour of towel she would tiddle and still would even now at 2 years.
I would not have a bitch spade we have a life time now on medication. Although it is controlled with medication twice a day it is for life. Speak to your vet first and find out what can go wrong.

If I got another puppy I would treat it exactly the same. But, and it is a big but, at my age I do not think it would be right to get another. For example Whippets, (and it would be another Whippet), generally are a healthy long lived breed. So a pup now would possibly take me into my 90's. Now I might still be around and I might still be able to look after a dog, but I feel it would be pushing chance to far and I would hate to leave an older dog behind confused and wondering what's happening.

Looking at the answers including mine. How old is too old to have a dog? If you wait until you retire, which is around 67 now and the dog lives 12 to 15 years you are in your eighties when it leaves you.
What happens then? Or what happens if you die first? I have arrangements made for Dudley if that should happen but it is a bit of a worry

I’m 61 now and my daughter and grandson live with me so if anything happens to me they would look after Spike. If anything happens to Spike then no doubt we would have another dog. If they no longer lived with me I think I would foster dogs for a rescue and if an older old fitted in then I would probably rescue it with the knowledge that the rescue would take care of him/her for the rest of his/her life if anything happened to me. I can’t imagine life without a dog:(

Looking at the answers including mine. How old is too old to have a dog? If you wait until you retire, which is around 67 now and the dog lives 12 to 15 years you are in your eighties when it leaves you.
What happens then? Or what happens if you die first? I have arrangements made for Dudley if that should happen but it is a bit of a worry

We have an agreement with a friend that if necessary she would take Harri and vice versa. The dogs are good friends and both of them see both of us as "Mum". Harri adores her so I know he'd be fine.

Great answers. I will be 73 next week and Dudley is only three. Husband is 79. So we are quite elderly but can't imagine being without him.

In hindsight we have learnt many things since having edie and defiantly patience and positive training has been more successful. She is a guardy dog we had dog trainers into our home she guards her bed and food. One trainer advised us to put on her collar and lead put her food bowl down and as soon as she went to her bowl and growled we pulled her away, and as soon as he did this she wee'd and was petrified lesson learnt! So next time we have a puppy and I would love one! I don't believe dominance has a place in our home and calmness lots of love and positive training will be our way.

Back