The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Leg Cocking

Angel44

Registered
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've owned my own dogs for 30 odd years and have always had a mixture of both male and female without any problems. However, I currently have a 10 month old entire whippet male whom we bought at 8 weeks. He is a super dog and has fitted in with our family (both human and doggy) really well and it feels as if he's been with us forever. Recently he learned to cock his leg and this has progressed to weeing on absolutely everything :eek: Nothing is safe! This morning he decided to water all the dog beds in the kitchen, and then give my rocking chair a good sprinkle too :( Last week he watered my husband's surround sound speakers :oops: - hubby still doesn't know about that one!!!

Any ideas as to what I can do to try to stop him cocking his leg in our home? He is very well bred and my intention was to have a go at showing him, so didn't really want to get him neutered. Would neutering stop this behavior anyway? I really don't know what to do as none of my other/previous male dogs have ever cocked their legs in the house. Any advice would be greatly received :thumbsup:

:oops: So sorry, I don't have any advice but I do hope you can sort it :luck: :luck:

Sounds like he's either feeling insecure or getting territorial to the extreme :eek:

I reckon he's just like a child who has learnt a new talent and just can't get enough of it :- "

Nothing has changed at home to make him feel insecure or territorial and he gets lots of exercise and attention every day. I think he may need to start wearing a nappy (w00t)

Angel44 said:
I reckon he's just like a child who has learnt a new talent and just can't get enough of it  :- " 
Just a shame he couldn't have a talent for

playing the piano or something isn't it :lol:

AnnSa said:
Angel44 said:
I reckon he's just like a child who has learnt a new talent and just can't get enough of it  :- "  
Just a shame he couldn't have a talent for

playing the piano or something isn't it :lol:

It is a shame - I could have been rich (w00t) His current nick name is P*ss Pot :p

Watch him all the time and really let him know you do not pee in the house. Mine went through this phase, he still pees over night some times, but has stopped cocking his leg around the place. I used a water pistol, if I spotted him doing it, he got a squirt and a telling off, very loud NO.

I don't know if castrating would work, my castrated dog still cocks his leg out side! Persevere and you will get there. Also, I used Febreeze spray where he had been, no use using disinfectant. Or Odour Kill, that works.

My two are castrated and always cock their legs (outside mind you) wouldn't have thought castration would stop leg cocking :wacko:

mine is neutered and has an obsession of peeing on my washing machine when we arent in no matter what i do he wont stop even stayed at mymums when i was on holiday and he done it on hers too lol

Back