The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Lamping

tony b

Registered
Reaction score
how easily does a ped whippet take to the lamp and how would you encourage it while it was still a pup.ive only used lurchers in past and it just came natural to them,any advice please

tony b said:
how easily does a ped whippet take to the lamp and how would you encourage it while it was still a pup.ive only used lurchers in past and it just came natural to them,any advice please
hi tony if you have trained lurchers to work the lamp should have no problems with whippets. Just make sure that you train your whippet to retrieve well as this often is a problem with some whippets. Another point is don't start lamping your dog too young you will know when it's ready. A whippet lamped too young often opens up whilst chasing(yaps) this is no use at all as all the rabbits in the district (and gamekeepers!!!!) know your about. Good luck any problems m8 pm me

cheers mally, i was lucky enough to have the use of a really good lurchers from a friend so i have never experienced training one.bought young whippet and would like to lamp again maybe next winter so cheers for tips

Hi Tony, I`d go with what Mally said about retrieving, nothing worse than running over a field at night to grab a rabbit off your dog. Ditto about opening up. A yapper will put the conies back in their burrows in an instant and also alert everyone that you`re about .Farmers get really paranoid about their stock when they hear a yapping dog , so if you`re , shall we say exploring pastures new , beware of having a yapper!!!

So whats the trick for training to the lamp if you have not got another experienced dog. Do you keep them on a slip lead until your quite close and sure they can catch it? Is it best to start them with ferrets first?

I`ve found the best way to enter a dog on the lamp is to take it out where there are plenty of sitters that aren`t too lamp-shy. If you can find a place like that you`re on a winner. Pick your rabbit, one that is fairly far out from the burrows and get as close as you can to it . Put the lamp on and make sure your dog sees the rabbit. As soon as the rabbit runs slip your dog as near to it as you can, and hopefully your dog will catch and if you`ve put the training in retrieve it . Don`t over do it, only give the dog a couple of runs, but do it regularily and your dog will take to it no probs. Early sucess helps a lot, but persevere if your dog doesn`t catch the first couple it sees

nigelmcfc said:
I`ve found the best way to enter a dog on the lamp is to take it out where there are plenty of sitters that aren`t too lamp-shy. If you can find  a place like that you`re on a winner. Pick your rabbit, one that is fairly far out from the burrows and get as close as you can to it . Put the lamp on and make sure your dog sees the rabbit. As soon as the rabbit runs slip your dog as near to it as you can, and hopefully your dog will catch and if you`ve put the training in retrieve it . Don`t over do it, only give the dog  a couple of runs, but do it regularily and your dog will take to it no probs. Early sucess helps a lot, but persevere if your dog doesn`t catch the first couple it sees
Sounds like very sensible advice, being doing just that with my 3 year old dog and hes starting to get the hang of it, shame about the retrieve though :rant: :rant:

i found a lovely spot for training a young non ped bitch and most of the rabbits had mixy they were ideal for a young whippet

Back